1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cookbook #2 - horrible difficulty

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Fippy, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Sounds promising? I bet some of you think so ~~
    Not much was picked in your favor, original map with one trick..
    Ivory was removed, for you ;)
    (just 1 tile, i did not feel like re-rolling)

This game can be seen as snack between our other cookbook.
    For those who have time for another one, and like a deity challenge..Lain style.

Created with "Buffy 5" this time,
    small mod that's used for gotm, HoF and so on.
    http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mods/BUFFY-3.19.005.exe

Settings: Pangaea, Deity, no huts & events, small map with all warmongers + 1 (5 AIs)

Leader: Asoka, one peaceful guy in a world of silly people. Fast workers are fun.
    Starting screenie:
    Spoiler :

Rules
    same as in our other cookbook (short version ;))
    * 1 try, no reloads
    * other saves can be looked at after submitting
    * no spoilers while peoples play

First round
    Play until turn 40, and save your game please.
    Deadline: 1 week again (Tuesday 11th)

Some final words..yup i realize that we might not get as many players here.
    But orga is easy for cookbooks, nps and maybe some like this game.

Good luck ~~

Attached Files:

2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I take back everything I said about you being cruel, one week deadlines can be bearable if there is two games rolling. :)

*Edit* Tundra and ice, how lovely!
    */Edit*

sampsa likes this.
  3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Merci Mademoiselle! ;)

Attached Files:

Fippy likes this.
  4. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

What have i done, your save shows me how terrible this map really looks like oO

..then again, after browsing some Civ6 threads i think we are still perfectly normal here.
    Game on ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. Lain

Lain Chieftain

So I would like to play this :). Can I somehow install BUFFY mod without it influencing my "normal" setup? Maybe load it like you load K-Mod or something?

6. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

omg... 2 cookbooks at the same time?!? :crazyeye::eek:
    I love playing Indians, so why not try it. Even if I'm not even close to being a deity player, let alone an immortal player. :lol:

7. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I have two shortcuts on the desktop, one for buffy5 and one for the regular setup.

This is the "target" of the shortcut to buffy:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\BUFFY-3.19.005

And the target for the normal setup:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe"

No problem at all!

lymond likes this.
  8. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

BUFFY loads just like K-Mod, it doesn't influence your normal setup.

lymond likes this.
  9. lymond

Lain...BUFFY is a standalone mod like K-Mod. Not sure what your normal setup is, but I assume you have BUG/BULL in custom assets. BuFFY should run fine in that case. Just note that saves created in BUFFY by you may not be playable by others due to having the different assets(namely the dll), especially if Lock Modified Assets is on. But I think you should have no problem loading this save. (Regardless, it is pretty easy to switch out DLLs and custom assets anyway..let me know if you need more info on that).

You might find that you like playing with BUFFY better, or BAT. The optional stuff from BULL is enable in both those mods, like sentry heal.

It would be good to see you participate in HOF, GOTMs and SGOTMs.

oh..as Krikav mentioned you can create shortcuts to run the mods directly.

Ha...without giving too much away, I'd say this is a map that Lain would like ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  10. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I for one really like buffy more.
    I don't have to make notes everywhere I have made roads/farms etc, that is done for me. I just hoover over the tiles and see "Farm 3 turns, Road 1 turn".

Workers stop and wait for input again once they have chopped 2 times and are about to make the final chop. <3
    Sentry heal is nice too.

I haven't done any HOF-play yet, since it seems that standard practice is to play with huts on and roll untill you hit a jackpot start. Not my cup of tea.
    BOTM I really like, it helps me expand my horizon abit from what I play all the time.

Kudos to @Fippy for making this cookbook in buffy, to coerce more players into that fold! :D

11. mscellaneous

mscellaneous Chieftain Supporter

I gave it a try, although Deity is way out of my reach.

Attached Files:

Fippy likes this.
  12. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Agree i cannot imagine playing without those anymore. BuLL also helps for normal games, but is less popular cos of the "conflicts" with Buffy, i guess.

13. Olafeson

Olafeson Chieftain

Well the things you mention work with Bug&Bull too. Like workers stop the chop and wait, also the notification if you prebuild smth if you hover a tile is there with Bug and Bull Mod. I never understood the benefit of buffy mod. But to be honest i was too lazy after years of Bug and Bull to try out smth new. It worked fine for me, unfortunately i never played any GOTM games because i could not load the map without buffy.

14. lymond

Ha..well, there is no harm in having BUFFY installed. Never really understand why folks are hesitant to install that and/or BAT (which is the bee's knees). I could understand back in the day when machines were limited, but not much excuse now. And why limit oneself from having fun with GOTM, SGTOM and HOF games.

(BULL's only real conflict is with LMA and shared games. Easy to switch out the DLLs. I use some .bat executables to switch in a nanosecond, and can upload them if anyone desires)

15. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Fast workers are something that have made me very hesitant about playing India. Workers are the heart and soul of civ imho, and having workers that require completly different micro has put me of from playing them.
    Thanks for the challenge!

Attached Files:

16. lymond

Soooo..you don't want to play the best UU in the game outside of OverKeuchas? :D

krikav likes this.
  17. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I'm trying to get used to it!

I have had a strange attitude against most UU/UBs and also against traits. For quite some time I played only leaders that had traits I personally deemed as not interfering too much with the game. Basically the more powerful and "gamechanging" they where, the less I wanted to have to do with it.
    Hammurabi was my favourite. :rolleyes: Playing with SPI/Phi/Fin was unthinkable for me for a long time.

I'm starting to get comfortable with playing anything nowadays though.
    BOTM161 was the first time I played with Inca. The recent NC game was the first time I dared to venture into SPI-land with Ramesses.

18. Swordnboard

Swordnboard Chieftain

Trying to plan my continuation for Cookbook #1, but I'm finding it too micro-intensive to finish quickly.
    In the meantime... good luck to us on this one!

(featuring annoying lines and signs in purple this time! They help me remember not to leave my fogbusting spots, which I've been known to do with disastrous results :hammer2:) I'll repeat for those who missed it in cookbook #1: you can get rid of that junk by zooming out, clicking on the "show the strategy layer" icon above the minimap, and pressing "delete all lines"

Attached Files:

krikav and Olafeson like this.
  19. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

SPI and Fast Workers are 2 very interesting features, Krikav :)
    Imo both take quiet some time to master, and what i like about them..they are not OP.
    FW are maybe the only peace oriented UU, sure they also help with war planning as empire development always is important for rushes,
    but it's not like you build some and take an AI cap.

krikav likes this.
  20. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen