1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cool event! (Revealing oil)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by SantaX, Nov 4, 2007.

1. SantaX

SantaX Chieftain

Well, I'm pretty sure it's nothing new for the most of you. So this thread is for the ones (like me) who didn't know about this.

I just got an event involving one of my scouts that revealed all the oil on the map! In 245 BC! Now I can make some serieus strategies involving capturing every last drop of oil! And i have 2000 years to do it :lol:

*these wars are sponsored by Fireaxis :D *

2. Portugal

Portugal Yaaarr!

That's pretty cool, it's actually never happened to me before. :mad:

3. Bushface

Bushface Deity

It's Event #7, "Man named Jed" in Ori's list. The trigger is a Scout (or Explorer) and a unit on a tile which has unrevealed Oil.
    I should be so lucky . . .

4. SantaX

SantaX Chieftain

Ah thanks Bushface, that would explain it. Please don't post the whole list though. I still haven't seen all the events and it just wouldn't have been such fun if I knew this even could happen :D

*I love to be suprised*

5. Aquatic

Aquatic Child of Surprises

Yeah, I love to be surprised too, but knowing this event's out there is fun too! I've never had it... Who knows what the future may bring?!!

6. Premier Valle

Premier Valle FF: Babylon 5 Mod Team

I didn't knew of this event either.

7. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Well thanks for ruining it for those of us who haven't had it! :mad:

:D

8. Carabodes

Carabodes Timid Viking Warlady

I've had that event twice. The first time was two turns after I had settled my capital.
    The second time (another game) was kind of "meh" - I got the event after I had launched my spaceship, having had oil for centuries. What did I care if my scout had stumbled into some sticky black stuff! My scout obviously had been left in the dark ages.

9. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Lol- two turns after the capital??? NICE!

And yes, vikings did have horns, for religious ceremonies-its the wings that are myths.

10. Carabodes

Carabodes Timid Viking Warlady

Yes, it was very nice - and then I had to sit there, for millennia, watching the good stuff I couldn't touch.

(Let's not start a "Let's discuss the Vikings"-thread, :lol: - but I've put a link in there now, thanks to your comment. :D)

11. 50_dollar_bag

50_dollar_bag Imitation Louis Vuitton

I got that event for the first time the other day, thought it was prety cool until I saw I had no Oil :sad:.
    does the tile still give a bonus even if it's unimproved like the +1 :hammer: for copper?

12. burlicconi

burlicconi King

I had this event in my very first BTS game. :p It was very exciting, but it haven't happened from then...:cry:

13. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

One time, I had a fort on a source of oil (it was plainly revealed) and then my Scout reported finding a source of oil, where the fort was. The scout wasn't even near it. I had Combustion and Scientific Method, so the oil was there.
    It was a useless event as I could only do the first option :(

14. gunter

gunter King

Surelly it helps but I don't think you can manage to prohibit enemies to use it cause you should settle here and there over the whole world and on ancient times it pretty impossible...

15. SantaX

SantaX Chieftain

Oops :blush:

16. SantaX

SantaX Chieftain

That is true, but France only has (pardon, had) one source. Near my border :D

Somehow Nice now belongs to my empire :lol:
    Next one will be from saladin at my other border :D

17. JavalTigar

JavalTigar Overlord of the West

i would have to say the coolest event I have seen is the one that I had happen to me in my latest game.

about 40 turns in, right after i had settled my 2nd city. I got a herbal medicine event that let me get a +2 health to all cities. I was already playing an expansive civ so that became an +4 to health. I have these huge double digit cities, while the AIs biggest city I have seen is an 8.

That was a nice boost at the begining. Probably was a game breaker. But I'm having fun, so oh well.

18. Simple Simon

Simple Simon Simpleton

hehe, yeah, some of the event stuff is downright weird.

My absolute best was this:

'Greed - Capture the iron in Roman lands'. Well, that iron town was defended by - guess what? A warrior!

OK, I build up a few units, march there, and just as I am ready to attack - Julius declares war! :lol: I stumble on with my units and fulfill my quest. Next turn, it comes even better: not only does the quest give me 6 swordsmen (Julibaby, you're one dead warmonger now!), no, that's not all: Another event: a runner brings me news of the war delaration (why didn't this happen the turns before???) and I receive another bonus (forgot which - maybe a promo for my units?).

On the other hand: my absolute 'best' was the very same oil revealing event when I was researching future techs :lol:

19. jray

jray King

So if you get this event early, can you beeline to Mathematics, build Forts on the Oil, and sucker all your rivals into trading exhorbitant amounts of money and resources for your Oil a few millenia before they have any clue what it is? That's what I'd try :).

20. 50_dollar_bag

50_dollar_bag Imitation Louis Vuitton

Has anybody had the 'Marathon' event? happens when you get attacked and invaded somewhere, roughly says a soldier has run 24miles?? (how long is a marthon 45kms?) and starts a Golden Age :goodjob:
    I have, it was good.