Cool pictures ι: Do not disturb my circles

Status
Not open for further replies.
28 out of 29 people in this picture received a Nobel Prize.

So, who was the absolute disgrace/loser/#nonobel? ^_^

I was curious about that too, so I asked the allmighty google. I only remember that Planck was on that picture, and only recognize Einstein.
I found first the 9gag thread where cutlass probably has it from. The comments in there say it's only 17 of 29. I checked further, found https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/solvay-conference-probably-intelligent-picture-ever-taken-1927/ , which also says that.
I (like everyone else) do not know by heart who got the Nobels, but google says that from the first 4 only 1 got a Nobel, so it's not 28/29.

Embarrassingly I only know 7 of them. On the plus side, it's not my research field.

"In this Tuesday, May 15, 2018, photo, storm clouds gather over New York City, seen from the Hudson River. A line of strong storms pushed across New York City and badly disrupted the evening commute, stranding thousands of train riders. Denis Paquin / AP"

"A man watches as a homemade rocket is launched during the "Bun Bang Fai" festival in Yasothon, Thailand, on May 13, 2018. The annual rocket festival celebrated in Thailand's rural Isaan region is aimed at prodding gods into unleashing rain ahead of the rice-farming season. Lillian Suwanrumpha / AFP / Getty"

28 out of 29 people in this picture received a Nobel Prize.

Now, that is cool! It's a colourised version of the famous Solvay Conference photo, featuring pretty much anyone who was anyone in physics at the time.

(Wikipedia says that only 17 people in the photo were or became Nobel laureates, but that's still the greatest concentration of talent since Isaac Newton and Edmund Halley met each other.)

but that's still the greatest concentration of talent since Isaac Newton and Edmund Halley met each other.)

Why? :)
Even with the 'since', one has to assume that very notable scientists (assuming you also meant to limit this to physics/similar) had met in larger number than just two, later on as well.

I was misusing JFK's joke about Thomas Jefferson to reference how brilliant Newton was. That said, that was only the fifth Solvay conference and they did several others as well.

What's notable about that photo is just how many famous scientists are in that photo (and "famous scientists" is an exclusive club by itself). I can identify maybe a dozen of them and probably recognise the names of at least half of them, but then I do enjoy reading about the period that the cosmologist George Gamow referred to as "The Thirty Years That Shook Physics".

Lava flow from Mt. Kilauea near Pahoa, Hawaii.

I suggested to my wife that we go to Hawaii to see the Kilauea eruptions. She was emphatic: no way! :(

Yes, the Tri-Cities do love their things.
No good pictures of the Cambridge City Hall in all its Horrendous Unglory....So here's a Theatre.

Volcanoes are scary.
A lot depends upon the type of volcano and whether or not you do stupid things. Hawaiian ones are pretty tame.

I was curious about that too, so I asked the allmighty google. I only remember that Planck was on that picture, and only recognize Einstein.
I found first the 9gag thread where cutlass probably has it from. The comments in there say it's only 17 of 29. I checked further, found https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/solvay-conference-probably-intelligent-picture-ever-taken-1927/ , which also says that.
I (like everyone else) do not know by heart who got the Nobels, but google says that from the first 4 only 1 got a Nobel, so it's not 28/29.

Embarrassingly I only know 7 of them. On the plus side, it's not my research field.
I recognized Marie Curie and Albert Einstein.

I suggested to my wife that we go to Hawaii to see the Kilauea eruptions. She was emphatic: no way! :(
I don't blame her. Volcanic eruptions are best appreciated at a distance.

A lot depends upon the type of volcano and whether or not you do stupid things. Hawaiian ones are pretty tame.

Tame, in the sense that liquid rock is being thrown 100 feet into the air and they are destroying everything in their paths.... :eek:

Although it is fairly predictable where the danger is, and where is isn't, in real time. But that's a lot different from the danger actually being low.

Tame compared to other kinds of volcanoes. Hawaiian volcanoes are of the shield type. While huge there is not risk of big explosions. Lava is very fluid however and can reach far away quickly. Stratovolcanoes as Pinatubo, Mount St Helens, Teide or Vesuvius are the dangerous ones. They are the megaton sized explosions, piroclastic clouds and that sort of things type. Better to be 100km away at eruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom