Cool pictures ι: Do not disturb my circles

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but it can help even in large forest fires if there's a long-distance chain (big fire sets a smaller fire further away from flying embers, but the new fire is relatively localized)

When I worked at Gatwick airport the fire tenders were equipped with foam that had tiny explosive particles in it that would deprive the fire of oxygen when sprayed onto an aeroplane.

When they were building Portcullius House, the building with the strange looking chimneys the other side of the bridge from Elizabeth Tower, they had to excavate trenches across the road for services. These were excavated at night then backfilled so that the road could be reopened for the rush hour. They backfilled the trenches with foam concrete. One night the open lanes were blocked by traffic so a police motorcyclist decided to drive through the cones and through the work site. He ignored the workers who tried to stop him. He lost his bike but was pulled out of the concrete. His clothe would be ruined as well and if he did not remove them soon after he would have been burnt by the cement.

Did you know bombs have been used for firefighting? The theory (and reality, as it turns out) being that the explosion will deprive the section of oxygen.

This is also how you stop a fire at an oil well. Not by dropping a bomb on it, but by using a shaped-charge to create a blast wave that suffocates the flame.

This is also how you stop a fire at an oil well. Not by dropping a bomb on it, but by using a shaped-charge to create a blast wave that suffocates the flame.
Similarly, even for oil wells that aren't burning, they frequently use explosives as a last-resort to plug a gushing well. There Will Be Blood has a scene where they do this and I know at one point the Soviets even considered plugging gushing undersea wells with nuclear explosions. Not sure if they ever went through with it though. I do know they used nukes to excavate in at least one project but the drawbacks proved insurmountable and they stopped doing it.

Twitter pics and vids will not direct link on this forum.
I think youtube vids are the only ones i'm aware of that will embed on this forum. But i do hotlink twitter pics all the time. Meanwhile, Deviantart pics have stealth smilies in their addresses, i guess it's to stop hotlinking...

I think youtube vids are the only ones i'm aware of that will embed on this forum. But i do hotlink twitter pics all the time. Meanwhile, Deviantart pics have stealth smilies in their addresses, i guess it's to stop hotlinking...

How? Because all I see is black spaces.

What happens when you right-click view image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom