1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cool Pictures 11: If You're Cool And You Know It Clap Your Hands

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I'm thinking that's way more than twenty feet. Those stacks look like...fourteen feet per level? I'm thinking if you clear that rail you've got a solid thirty plus to the floor.

Ladder secured or not, to reach the top shelf you have to be standing on the third rung from the top of the ladder, which is too precarious for me on the ground floor. Hard pass on being the librarian there.

tjs282 likes this.
  2. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

"Smile of a Friend: Second Place, Novice DSLR. In my photo dreams, I always had the idea of capturing a wild crocodile. But even when I have seen many in the wild, I have never been able to get in the water with one. That morning we saw this crocodile called El Niño. I was told he was nice enough to let you get close to him. He was watching us for quite some time and, when we decided to go in the water, I was nervous but excited. I approached him within about 10 feet when he started to move toward me. I got more nervous than before, but he moved gently so I knew he wasn’t mad. He came toward me but dove underneath, so I turned around to follow him closely. When he turned around to face me, I had the opportunity to take this picture with a big smile. Location: Jucaro, Cuba. # © (Antonio Pastrana / Ocean Art)"

"Schools of Schools: Second Place, Mirrorless Behavior. On the first day of the dive trip, we decided to dive the wreck of the Caribsea, off Morehead City, North Carolina. During the descent, the water appeared darker than usual; however, the deeper we descended, to our amazement we encountered a massive bait ball just above the shipwreck. Upon further inspection, there were a multitude of sand tiger sharks entering and exiting the bait ball in a calm, peaceful manner, seemingly more curious than hungry. As I slowly and cautiously watched, I saw this large female sand tiger shark with her own bait ball entourage just approaching the massive ball. I was mesmerized by the entire scene, but my brain quickly engaged enough to set up for the shot of her about to enter. She seemed completely disinterested in me and continued her journey. As I waited for just the right time, I was rewarded with this image. Location: Above the shipwreck Caribsea, off Morehead City, North Carolina. # © (Debbie Wallace / Ocean Art)"

Cutlass, The_J, tjs282 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Uh huh. That "seemingly more curious than hungry" is grossly incorrect. The shark was however completely disinterested in the photographer since there was a wall of food right there. The sharks pass through the bait calmly so as to not disrupt the school...but make no mistake they are passing through for one and only one reason, and their mouths are wide open.

tjs282 likes this.
  4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

5. Cutlass

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

This looks to terrifying to “like“

tjs282 likes this.
  7. Cutlass

Volcanoes are on the scary side. Glad I live a 1000 miles from the nearest one.

The_J likes this.
  8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Which volcano is that one?

9. Cutlass

I think it's Etna.

10. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

I would also guess Etna. The countryside looks like Sicily, the shape is right and there was a mayor outbreak with lava end of last year.

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

IIRC Etna was where the travelers in "Journey to the Center of the Earth" exited. They road up a lava burst, either on a rock or raft, and were flung safely onto a grassy spot on the mountain side.

12. Cutlass

My sister is actually believing this Hollow Earth crap these days. So looks like pre-mature senility is running rampant in the family this generation.

13. Cutlass

14. Cutlass

The_J and tjs282 like this.
  15. Cutlass

tjs282 and Silurian like this.
  16. Cutlass

17. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

This steel forge has seen better days

Birdjaguar, shadowplay and Cutlass like this.
  18. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Kitty Cannon

The_J, tjs282, Silurian and 1 other person like this.
  19. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

While North America freezes, Australia sizzles.

"Seagulls sit in the shade under a palm tree in Melbourne on January 25, 2019. Extreme heat was forecast for Victoria later that day, with temperatures expected to reach 111 degrees Fahrenheit (44 degrees Celsius). # James D. Morgan / Getty"

"A pan with frying eggs is seen on paving stones during a heat wave in Adelaide, Australia, on January 24, 2019, in this picture obtained from a social-media video. # James H. Bean via Reuters"

Here comes the snow.

"A natural-color image of the frigid Great Lakes region acquired on January 27, 2019, by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer on NASA’s Terra satellite. Cloud streets and lake-effect snow stretch across the scene, as freezing winds blow across the lake surfaces in subzero temperatures. # NASA Earth Observatory"

"Dogs play in the early-morning light on Primrose Hill as the sun begins to rise in London, England, on January 31, 2019. The United Kingdom endured its coldest night of the year so far, with temperatures dropping as low as 9 degrees Fahrenheit (–13 degrees Celsius) in Scotland. # Leon Neal / Getty"

"The Reflecting Pool sits frozen on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., on January 31, 2019, as the region experiences frigid temperatures. # Saul Loeb / AFP / Getty"

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Birdjaguar, Kaitzilla, tjs282 and 2 others like this.
  20. Cutlass