1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cool Pictures 11: If You're Cool And You Know It Clap Your Hands

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Pretty girls can be just as dangerous.

Birdjaguar and tjs282 like this.
  2. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

More dangerous, but worth the risk.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Don't encourage you-know-who. :nono:

And the proper term is "Jovians." Not that any have been proven to exist.

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

You haven't lived until you've nearly gotten yourself killed trying some hairbrained stunt.

Birdjaguar, cardgame and Snerk like this.
  5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Oh the Isle of Skye is def. on my list! I had plans to head out there a couple years ago but ended up doing something else. So beautiful, I will be hiking there at some point

Silurian likes this.
  6. Cutlass

The_J, tjs282, hobbsyoyo and 4 others like this.
  7. Cutlass

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

upload_2019-5-22_13-47-1.png

9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Thor crossing the Rainbow Bridge from Midgard to Asgard, or perhaps going the other way.

10. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

that the lost droplet actually bounced off was very interesting

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Beautiful shot. DSLRd but very well done

12. Cutlass

Bootstoots, The_J, shadowplay and 3 others like this.
  13. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That's cool, but what's the one fourth from left? Metaiol? Is this a Greek image?

14. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Could be poor picture quality? Might be a Cyrillic variant, rather than Greek per se.

The blue flame made me think it was methylated spirit, but "methanol" would work too. Per GoogleTranslate:

Greek = "Μεθανόλη"
    Russian = "метанол"
    Serbian = "Метанол"

BTW, has @Bootstoots seen this?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  15. Samson

Samson Chieftain

This is a queue to get to the top of Everest!!!!!!!!
    7 people have died in the last week, more than the total for last year. Local tour organiser Keshav Paudel told AFP news agency that Bagwan had been "stuck in the traffic for more than 12 hours and was exhausted".

Cutlass, The_J and warpus like this.
  16. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

"There are no losers from globalization"

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah so I hiked to Everest Basecamp, right? It took us 8 days to get there from the tiny airport you fly into, it's the closest airport you can fly into unless you charter a private helicopter and get dropped off closer.

After basecamp there are 4 more basecamps. If your wish is to continue the journey to the top, you can ONLY do this in May. Any other time of year and the winds at the summit will be way too strong. Even in may you will have to wait and hope for a good timewindow with low winds so you can make the final push to the top. That's why it gets so crazy up there, it's obviously popular and very limited in terms of when you can complete the climb.

So say you spent the 8 days hiking to basecamp. In order to get to the top (and back) you would need at least an extra MONTH to accomplish this. At one of the basecamps (4 or 5?) you have to acclimatize for up to 2 weeks. Oxygen is very scarce up there and your body needs a lot of time to get used to the conditions. Without acclimatizing properly along the way at the bascamps, you would never make it to the top. Heck, acclimatization is sort of key for the hike to the first basecamp. If you don't acclimatize you are not going to have a good time

The hike to basecamp is relatively cheap. You can do it for $60 (entrance fee/permits) and about $35 a day for accommodations and food. $100 flight into that airport, and you can hire a guide and porter on top of that if you wish. Other than that there are no costs. But if you want to climb Everest, add $40,000 or more to that cost.

So say you are at basecamp, you hiked there for 8 days, and are ready to continue to basecamp 2. The stretch in between basecamp1 and 2 is the most deadly on the whole climb (I believe). You will have to traverse the Khumbu icefall, which is treacherous. When you're at basecamp you see it stretch out (and up) in front of you, and it looks very imposing. You basically have to climb over these deep and sketchy drops into the icefall below. The expedition crew will put down metal ladders for you to walk on, and you will be tethered so if you fall they can rescue you.. but.. I've read that more than 2% of all people who attempt this end up dying.

So... Yeah, climbing Everest.. In the wise words of Andy Richter, "No thanks!". It's turned into a stupid accomplishment for the rich. All sorts of people who have no business being up there end up going up.. and the fact that you can only do the climb in may.. and since it's so popular.. yeah.. it gets crazy up there. I would never do it. Too risky

One of the guys who died on the way to the summit just collapsed. I was reading that story yesterday. He had high altitude issues, collapsed, and they couldn't revive him. Sounds to me like he didn't acclimatize properly along the way. It's tragic, but at least at lower altitudes if you have high altitude sickness issues, you can easily descent and wait it out and maybe continue your hike in 1-2 days. When you're up there with all those people crammed together like that, looking after high altitude issues becomes more problematic. I bet that's what happened, they just didn't keep a close enough eye on him, or were hoping that his headaches would go away or whatever. And the thing with high altitudes is that they affect everyone differently. There's no telling how your body might react. Even if you're the world's healthiest athlete, you might have big problems. On the other hand, if you're a couch potato, you might have no problems at all. It's hard to say what will happen, so you gotta be ready. And it's a lot harder to manage all that in those conditions

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Valka D'Ur, Cutlass, Samson and 2 others like this.
  18. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Warlord

They need one of these near the summit:

hobbsyoyo, Silurian and Birdjaguar like this.
  19. Samson

Samson Chieftain

Presumably this is one of those people who should not be up there. Man, I would pay 40 grand to NOT have to do that.

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Here's a picture I took of Everest and the Khumbu Icefall from the summit of Kala Patthar:

The Khumbu icefall is that white stuff that's sort of going up wedged in between those two mountains. It spills out to the right. It actually turns into the Khumbu glacier sort of right there where it stops being white and is all grey and stuff. The glacier continues many kilometres to the right.

Mt. Everest is the one in the middle, the triangular one in the distance. Basecamp is at the edge of the Khumbu Icefall, sort of behind that black hill obscuring some of the icefall. People who are climbing Everest camp there and get ready, and then have to make their way up the icefall, heading uphill.

The reason I was at the summit of this mountain is because you can't see Everest from basecamp. It is obscured by the mountain just in front of it that you see here. So the next morning at around 3-5am most people who hiked to basecamp wake up and climb Kala Patthar, which takes you to the highest point on the whole trek. You get to watch the sun come up and it's so beautiful but really really cold. I actually ended up putting most of the layers I brought with me on the trip and was wearing almost everything. Including 3 sets of gloves. That's how cold it was, but the gloves were a bad idea as they constricted my bloodflow. I was close to getting frostbite, my hands were turning black! It was crazy. I was also so wrapped up in all my layers that at one point at the beginning I almost started panicking. I couldn't breathe. I wanted to rip all my layers off, especially the jackets, and anything around my chest. I managed to calm down and after a short break and wardarobe adjustment I was able to continue the ascent.

One of my friends didn't last long at the top. He was the first up there but even before we were finished the ascent, he was making the descent. He didn't feel good. Our guide gave him the goahead to descend, and.. well, we spent about 20-30 minutes at the summit. It's so beautiful and just crazy looking you wanna stay up there for a while. But it's so cold and windy you also wanna get down. So we get down, and find our friend in the teahouse. Turns out he descended and was just.. confused. He didn't know where he was. He was wandering around the village, which is TINY, and couldn't find our teahouse. Which is crazy because there's like 5 buildings in that village, the teahouse is really easy to find. But for like 20 minutes he wandered around trying to get his thinking back on track. Once he got inside the teahouse he got a warm tea and waited for us.

The Khumbu Icefall though.. "No thanks!"

The_J, hobbsyoyo, tjs282 and 5 others like this.