Cool Pictures 12: "Every picture tells a story!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

This picture shows the underside of an iceberg in Greenland’s Tasiilaq Fjord, illuminated by lights carried by a diver. Underwater photographer Tobias Friedrich took the image, which won second place in the ‘coldwater’ category in the Underwater Photography Guide’s annual Ocean Art Underwater Photo Competition.

This swirling heat map shows levels of carbon monoxide in the troposphere released by wildfires in Australia between 15 December and 2 January. The country is experiencing a record fire season, and out-of-control blazes — particularly in the eastern states of Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria — have killed dozens of people, destroyed thousands of homes and caused widespread environmental devastation. The measurements were made by the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service, part of the Earth observation programme run by the European Commission. (I find it amazing that the emissions from Australia seem to be dwarfed by those from SE asia).

This image of the crab nebula — the remnants of an exploded star around 6,500 light years away from Earth — was taken by combining several wavelengths of light: visible light from the Hubble Space Telescope (shown in yellow), X-rays from the Chandra X-ray Observatory (blue) and infrared detected by the Spitzer Space Telescope. NASA retired the Spitzer telescope on 30 January and switched it to ‘safe mode’, ceasing scientific operations and ending its 16-year mission.

More from nature.

his picture shows the underside of an iceberg in Greenland’s Tasiilaq Fjord, illuminated by lights carried by a diver.
That is an awesome pic.
(I find it amazing that the emissions from Australia seem to be dwarfed by those from SE asia).
Pretty sure the epicenter for most of those 'SE Asian' emissions is actually (southern) China, rather than the Burmese/Thai/Vietnamese-Indonesian peninsula/archipelago.

Which is kind of what you'd expect, given that total CO2 emissions from China are the highest of any nation on the planet.

I was gonna say, China makes those wildfires look like they didn't even happen

In case one needed added reason to like one of the platonic solids, the regular dodecahedron.

A simple proof (only taking half a minute, if you don't need to prove Ptolemy's theorem) that any diagonal of a regular pentagon (one of the 12 making up the regular dodecahedron) is to any of its sides the golden ratio.

Two mice battling over a morsel of food on the London Tube.

Two mice battling over a morsel of food on the London Tube.
I wonder if the morsel of food is enough calories to make up for having to fight to get it? I can imagine a third mouse, not winning that piece of food but not having to fight either, might be better off (provided the morsel isn't literally the last available food). Alternately, somewhere else, two mice simply split the food and save their energy. I think one of the television survival guys - Bear Grylls; Les Stroud - talked about weighing the expenditure of calories in the effort of getting food against the calories you'd gain from the food once you have it. I bet there's an episode of Freakonomics in there somewhere, a cost-benefit analysis of conflict and compromise, and simply finding an easier alternative.

Where's that picture from?

Halley's Comet won't be back until 2062 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom