Cool Pictures IX: duuude dude dude i'm like totally tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney has always marketed underage girls to adult men. I refer to it as 'the Disney Jailbait Factory'.
Oh? And what about the little girls who love to play at being princesses, dressing up, and swooning over whichever prince is in the particular story?

Mind you, I got pretty fed up with this style of animation when the Cosmos reboot was Disneyfied, with those ridiculous cartoons instead of real actors, like Sagan's version used.

"Anime is superior" /hipster

It is, though. Eg Satoshi Kon.

Agreed. There is great, revolutionary animation art from the west, too, but its not the mainstream stuff. I am especially fond of Jan Svankmajer.

However some of the more mainstream western animation is excellent, examples include Disneys Fantasia and Allegro non Troppo.

Of course then theres also Daria, King of the Hill, Home Movies and the other adult swim stuff.

I'm not certain if anime is superior so much as as it is simply bigger. There's more room for artistry and experimentation because there's more room generally.

Disney has always marketed underage girls to adult men. I refer to it as 'the Disney Jailbait Factory'.
Interesting take on Disney. I have never thought that. Most of the movies are just garbage musicals with too many songs in them and some princesses running around, getting into trouble. I've never found anything even remotely sexual about them as I think their primary target audience is little girls who get their mothers to buy movie related merchandise for them. I mean, if you want to look at Disney as a jailbait factory, almost every TV show, advert, and movie with a young girl in it is jailbait material to some of these perverts. Not that I'm coming to Disney's defense here, but I don't see the issue that you do.

I checked out the DA page and I like what the artist has done with the characters. At least these artistic remakes look like young adults.

Time for something happy. In spoiler cause maybe you don't want to see so happy an image.

Spoiler :
Long Dream.

Ito always draws good, but his stories have some weak points, imo. That said, one can't do everything to the highest standard - i can't draw at all.

if you want to look at Disney as a jailbait factory, almost every TV show, advert, and movie with a young girl in it is jailbait material (to some of these perverts)

I dont think this is due to the audience being "perverted", but rather due to (((American))) media being heavily sexualized. Those two go hand in hand, of course.

Interesting take on Disney. I have never thought that. Most of the movies are just garbage musicals with too many songs in them and some princesses running around, getting into trouble. I've never found anything even remotely sexual about them as I think their primary target audience is little girls who get their mothers to buy movie related merchandise for them. I mean, if you want to look at Disney as a jailbait factory, almost every TV show, advert, and movie with a young girl in it is jailbait material to some of these perverts. Not that I'm coming to Disney's defense here, but I don't see the issue that you do.

I checked out the DA page and I like what the artist has done with the characters. At least these artistic remakes look like young adults.

I've seen few of the cartoons. I'm thinking more of the live actors shows and movies. Some of course are far more so than others. But even with the toons, it really isn't necessary to make shows for children which show that much skin.

As far as live action goes, Disney has a few divisions. Are we talking about family oriented fare that is specifically targeted as family viewing? Or a typical Hollywood movie? If it is the latter (and Disney produces those too), you sort of have to expect a little more license in how it portrays characters. Perhaps they are more in tune with real life (or are trying to be)? Again, I am not trying to defend Disney, I'm just trying to understand your position.

But yes, I agree with you. It shouldn't be necessary to show a lot of skin in a children's movie.

As far as live action goes, Disney has a few divisions. Are we talking about family oriented fare that is specifically targeted as family viewing? Or a typical Hollywood movie? If it is the latter (and Disney produces those too), you sort of have to expect a little more license in how it portrays characters. Perhaps they are more in tune with real life (or are trying to be)? Again, I am not trying to defend Disney, I'm just trying to understand your position.

But yes, I agree with you. It shouldn't be necessary to show a lot of skin in a children's movie.

Maybe my perspective is that I have seen an awful lot of entertainers come out of Disney as child entertainers and straight into the sexpot roles as adults. Now certainly depending on how young you pick the actress or singer, you don't really know what they are going to look like as an adult. That said, it's been a very short step from child Disney star to highly sexualized adult singer and/or actress. And that's been true in many cases.

Part of that is a deliberate reaction against their previous family-friendly image, though. Miley Cyrus's whole "sexpot party girl" persona was developed after her initial attempt to cultivate a sophisticated, Legitimate Musical Artist persona failed, and both were attempts to distance herself from the original, family-friendly Hannah Montana persona. Is it a common trend because something in how Disney cultivate their young female stars feeds naturally into it, or because it's an easy, relatively low-investment way to create a new, "adult" public persona?

(I'll grant that it's probably somewhere between the two.)

Hahaha. :)

Most of these pictures are really nice. And I get what you mean by making them look like young adults. I have a Little Golden Book of Snow White (my first exposure to that story; it was another 20 years or so before I ever saw the movie), and it confused the hell out of me, why the Queen would be so insanely jealous of a princess who looked like she was about 10-12 years old... at most. And then I wondered why a girl that young was wearing high-heeled shoes. At least Cinderella and Aurora looked a little older (mid-teens).

Maybe my perspective is that I have seen an awful lot of entertainers come out of Disney as child entertainers and straight into the sexpot roles as adults. Now certainly depending on how young you pick the actress or singer, you don't really know what they are going to look like as an adult. That said, it's been a very short step from child Disney star to highly sexualized adult singer and/or actress. And that's been true in many cases.
Do you mean some of the girls who go from the various versions of the Mickey Mouse Club into teen movies, and then they're suddenly parading around 90% naked on stage as "singers"?

This has been going on as far back as Annette Funicello. She went from wholesome little girl to starring in a slew of "bikini/beach" movies. Of course those are extremely tame by modern standards, but a lot of people shook their heads at how "little Annette" grew up.

And consider Lisa Welchel. I remember seeing her as a young teen on the New Mickey Mouse Club. Years later she starred on "The Facts of Life" and after that was cancelled... her life basically fell to pieces even more than it already was behind the scenes. Apparently that wasn't a happy show backstage for the girls who were on it. Anyway, several seasons ago, Lisa appeared on Survivor, as a way of proving to herself that she could last 39 days in the middle of nowhere, and hopefully incognito (to the best of my knowledge, only two people figured out who she was, and neither of them blabbed to the other contestants). She did very well in the game, but her offscreen life apparently involves some extremely questionable religious ministry that advocates child-rearing methods that most people would consider abusive.

As for the more recent examples... I just ate, so I'd rather not think about them, thanks.

I'm gonna have to caption this on Cheezburger.

Dog: [Comic Sans]HALP!!![/Comic Sans]

I dont think this is due to the audience being "perverted", but rather due to (((American))) media being heavily sexualized. Those two go hand in hand, of course.

It's funny how that's true, but at the same time Americans are obsessed with making sure nobody sees any nipples.

There was a time when cartoon cows had to wear dresses because udders suggested nipples and were therefore obscene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom