Cool Pictures XIII: Artistry is Everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, at first i saw someone with messy hair and a backpack. Once I found out what it was I could only see that.
I saw the dog first -- even before I opened your spoiler. To be honest, I was having difficulty understanding why you thought the spoiler was necessary, until you wrote the quoted.
I'd like to think I unconsciously picked up the impossibly bent leg, so I didn't have to consciously examine this as a person, but I am not sure.
For me, it's the scale of the picture. To see the person, I have to kind of ignore the trees.

I saw the person first and didn't see the dog until I opened the spoiler.

Let's see if this link points to the picture I want to show...

It didn't. :(

Cat looking over the curbstone.

5ff2d585640ab_PLqT406__700.jpg

I think the idea was to have the MI6 building (London) look like a Ziggurat and project power, but in reality it looks like Megatron Starscream died and half his body sticks out of the ground, causing laughter and disgust.

It looks like the sort of thing that might be a thing you'd build in a Jewel Match game (some of them have fantastically gorgeous castles, but the one I'm working through right now are just so ho-hum and don't inspire any stories).

This baby Namib web-footed gecko (Pachydactylus rangei) fluoresces under ultraviolet light. The intense neon-green and blue glow — among the brightest fluorescence in any vertebrate — is produced by modified pigment cells called iridophores. Why many animals fluoresce is still a mystery — but in this case, the pattern suggests that it helps these social animals to signal to each other across the moonlit desert.

While taking aerial photos with his drone, Australian photographer Derry Moroney came across these massive, tree-like patterns in Lake Cakora in New South Wales. The colourful drainage channels form when water full of oil from the surrounding tea trees (Melaleuca alternifolia) runs into the lake. The photos were taken after several days of storms.

Here is an mp4 video of a tardigrade "playing" with spherical colonies of a green alga. I cannot figure out how to embed it. More at nature.

I find tardigrades creepy, so thank you for not embedding.

This is Ravenscliffe Castle, in Hamilton, Ontario. It's recently been put up for sale, and it can be yours for only $8,888,888 CAD (plus HST, I'd imagine - Harmonized Sales Tax; I don't know what that is in Ontario).

It reminds me of some of the settings for the various Mystery Case Files computer games, though that's only external. The interior rooms have been mostly modernized, but they still look cool.*

ravenscliffe-castle.jpg

*Who would commit the travesty of remaking a library into a billiard room? (no, that's not a Clue joke).

Source article, plus photos of some of the rooms.

Nice-looking place. I hope it has excellent central heating.

I really like this room: (but they took all the paintings out, which comes across as cheap...)

Not sure about the location, though. Seems to be some gated community. A castle should be away from other buildings, preferably on a hill.

^It looks really nice, but I am not sure if it is worth (almost) 7 million US dollars...

That said, I would consider it, if I had that kind of money :)
It's 12,000 square feet according to the article, and has a driveway that can accommodate 10 cars. This photo doesn't show the entire property.

Not that I'm saying it's worth that much money; it depends on what shape the guts are in (heating, plumbing, electrical, etc.) and if the foundation is solid. Oh, and mold and asbestos would also be a concern.

But it looks just like the creepy gothic mansions in some of the computer games I've played, not to mention the house in the Fighting Fantasy gamebook House of Hell (which I've never finished during the last 35 years due to the frustratingly complicated multi-level map that has to be drawn accurately on graph paper so you don't get completely confused and end up dead... that's one I started novelizing a loooong time ago, even though I haven't solved it yet).

I really like this room: (but they took all the paintings out, which comes across as cheap...)

Not sure about the location, though. Seems to be some gated community. A castle should be away from other buildings, preferably on a hill.
It looks like the paintings were replaced with posters of wine bottles. That room looks absolutely claustrophobia-inducing.

Honestly, if I were to buy that place, I'd turn it into a gothic-themed LARP or other RPG-type attraction. They didn't post photos of the bedrooms or bathrooms or the stairway in the tower, so I can't say whether those would be a plus or minus.

I do like the front hall and stairway, though.

All this said... Ontario lacks the Rocky Mountains, and while there are some very scenic areas of that province that I'd like to visit, it's not a place where I'd want to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom