Copa's DSC: Intelligence isn't overrated

mayor

Heart & Mind
This will be my story for copaczins deity story challange.

If you don't know what it is: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=424487
read that!

So the title is: Intelligence isn't overrated.

I will follow one rule for the tech tree: After obtaining the techs; Mining, Mysticism, Fishing, The Wheel, Agriculture, Hunting, Archery, Animal Husbandry and Pottery I can only go for techs that are intelligence related such as Writing, Education, Meditation etc. If there aren't any intelligence related techs I have to go for techs that lead to intelligence techs.

The reason I will discover the stated techs first is that every smart civ needs something to something before getting intelligent :p

Prologue

He could hardly feel his legs. They had walked for days and he was tired and hungry. Actually, when he thought of it, they had walked as long he could remember and he was always tired and hungry. The tribe stayed in the forests as much as possible but there never were enough seeds and plants to fill all. Meat was even more rare, the animals were just to fast for the two-legged humans, and when there was meat it whent to the grown-ups who had to provide protection and food.

Socrates was born 4 summers ago and was the youngest member of the tribe. But he was the oldest son of the second in command and the other kids treated him with a certain respect. This wasn’t the only reason they respected him though. With his 4 summers he was extremely bright and always thought of new games en ways of securing food for the kids.

Finally they reached a river.

Men, women and children ran towards the water. Socrates however stopt running and checked the surroundings. What he supspected became truth when the tribespeople spit out the water they had just drunk.

Pericles and his adjudants had also seen the problem with the water and had stayed behind on the forest edge. Now Pericles walked towards Socrates, followed by Alexander, Socrates father.
Pericles: “So little boy,…..”
“I’m not a little boy!!” Socrates interupted Pericles: “I’m as smart as the oldest kids in the tribe!”
Pericles chuckled: “So your father has told me. Now tel me, why didn’t you drink from the river?”
Socrates looked up to his father with a proud face. He thought he was smart and talked about it to the leader. His father nodded to him and looked to Pericles. “Oh right” Socrates thought “The leader asked me a question”. Quickly he awnsered: “I heard a noise which I thought was the surf. So I stopped and checked to see if it was true”. Pericles looked thoughtfully to the boy: “Does he really understand what it means if the surf is close to the river” He thouht to himself while asking: “And when you saw the surf why didn’t you drink the water then?” Socrates was confused by this question “Why does he ask me that, he knows the anwser” But when he saw that Pericles was still watching him he anwsered “When the surf is near the river it means that the water isn’t sweet but that it has a salty taste to it” Pericles nodded approvingly and waved Socrates away. “You have a smart boy, Alexander” He said to his second in command, “you can be proud of him”. “I am, Sir” Alexander “I am”

Pericles and Alexander walked away from the others to talk about there next moves. “Tell the people to move upstream so they can drink” Pericles told Alexander “And tell the scouts that they need to cross the river and scout the surroundings. The last time we almost starved I got an idea, I hope this is the place to execute the plan that has been forming in my mind eversince” Pericles got and dreamy look in his eyes and Alexander didn’t really know what to think of it. In al his years as second in command he had never seen this look. “I’ll do as you say” He replied “But what is you’re plan? If you don’t mind my asking” Periclise snapped out of his daydream “Of course you may, I’ve been thinking of stop wandering and settling in one place were there is enough food. On our way to this river I saw some corn and I hope that we could grow this for ourselves and by the coast there are clams we could eat. I hope that the scouts will find other sources of food. If they do we will stay here and make permanent shelter” Alexander was impressed, he knew that Pericles was a good and intelligent leader but this idea was close to briljant. “Never again we would be scared for starvation” he thought and his face lit up. “I’ll tell the scouts there orders immediately” he told Pericles and walked away leaving Pericles in thoughts about the future.

ow.. this chapter isn't finished yet, the rest of this chapter will be edited in it.... I just wanted to try and post a story+screenshot :crazyeye:

EDIT: So this chapter IS finished, but it isn't a chapter it's a prologue :mischief:

WTH!! Why doesn't the italics work :confused: (just noticed while waiting on the 30 sec between posting)

the things they think should be in italics :(

Looks good!

the things they think should be in italics :(
When i click edit i can't see the italic tags? ([I ][ /I])

Good luck for your story though :D

aaah, that wil be the problem... I copied it from Word, thinking it would also copy the Italics:wallbash:

Noooo...!!! I'm not a complete noob at posting :mischief:

very good story.

thanks for all the positive comments :D

anyway, I had a bit to much to drink yersterday (had a music festival :D:D) and what do you do when you have a bit of a hangover?...... right you continue your Diety game... cause ask yourselfs :sarcasm: who needs a clear mind to play Diety

This also leads to me making a confession... (reading the spoiler may betray a part of the story)
Spoiler :
I played a bit ahead of the story an at this point I have to break my own rule an go for currency because.. well.... to be honest... I kinda overexpanded and now my units are on strike... wel units... I have 1 archer at this moment :spank:

So without further ado (is this the correct spelling)
I present chapter 1

Socrates ran through the camp. After the tribe had reached the river they had set up camp. Pericles had sent out scouts to look for other food sources. Two weeks ago they had come back with tidings that there was rice within three days of travel. When Pericles had heard this he had immediately called the tribespeople together. Socrates was still in awe of that evening. All the people had gathered facing a large rock. Everyone was excited because Pericles had never called upon the whole tribe, normally he just gave is orders to his adjudants who passed them through. When all were present Pericles had climbed the rock and started speaking. “Men and women, brothers and sisters, friends! I have called upon you today to share with you a dream. A dream for you and me. A dream of a better future, a dream were everyone is safe and has enough to eat. I this dream we don’t have to walk all day to find enough food. A dream were our people will advance in knowledge and were we won’t live in fear for wild animals and other tribes. We will build places to storage our food for lesser times, we will build places were we can store our knowledge, tales and were we can teach our children. We will build walls around our settlement to protect us and traininggrounds for our warriors and we will build places were we and trade with nomads and learn what they know. We few, we will build a civilization that will attract people to join us and we will grow and know prosperity. We will bring wood down from the northern forests to build our permanent shelter and we will use the clay from the river to our south to make them wind and watertight. Ever family will have there own shelter and all families will have a peace of land which they can work. And right here around this rock we will build al large shelter dwarfing all others to commemorate the founding of our civilization. There we can gather as a people to celebrate, socialize and discuss.” Here Pericles had pauzed and looked around to face all, then he had taken a breath en continued in a lower voice: “My friends, we will grow old, be peacefull, have knowledge, be powerfull and rich. My friends..” Here his voice had become like rolling thunder: “We will be GREEKS!!” What a sensation that had been. All the gathered tribespeople broke out in cheering. Everyone cheered at the top of there voice. They hadn’t understood all that Pericles had said but they recognised the passion whit which he had said it and they all were excitement at the forsight of no longer being hungry.

Pericles addressing the tribe

Socrates had cheered as much as the others. He however had understood more of the speech than most an was particulary excited by the idea of increase in knowledge and teaching. And now the build of the houses, as Socrates had called the permanent shelters, was proceeded steadily.
“Socrates! Watch out!” someone chouted and Socrates came back to the present and halted. He had been so lost in his thoughts that he had almost ran into te wall of a newly constructed house. Relieved, that he was warned in time, he look around searching who had called out to him. It was his father, Alexander and Pericles second in command, who had just came around a corner carrying wooden poles on his shoulder. Socrates smiled en hurried to his father. Alexander looked on his son whit fondness and patted the boy on his head with a free hand. “Lost in thoughts again, were you?” he asked his son. Socrates looked up with a guilty look in his eyes: “Yes father, I was thinking of Pericles speech and what the future”. “Now what did I tell you about getting lost in your thoughts?” Alexander asked. “I shouldn’t do it while running, I know, I’m sorry, I won’t do it again.” “Good, now come and help me finish the last wall of our house” He said winking to Socrates. “aahw, do I have to?” Socrates replied “I wanted to go to Plato and help him with his experiments”.
The day after the speech Pericles had called upon his adjudants. During that meeting he had announced that all of his adjudants from that time forth would become advisors. They would all receive a certain area of expertise on which they had to advise him. This way, Pericles had explained, every one could focus there attention and they, as a tribe, could reach exxellence in every aspect. Plato, a bright young man who was in the habit of thinking everything through and then coming up with ideas nobody had thought of, was appointed Advisor of Advanced Knowledge. He would working side-by-side the other advisors and would come up with solutions for the problems they had. At this point he was working with Alexander, who stayed second-in-command and was also appointed Advisor of Weaponry&Protection. He had told Plato that he needed a sort of weapon that could keep his men out of danger while being able to deal damage to the opponent.
Alexander thought it over and said: “Very well, you’ll be my eyes, go to Plato and inform me at the end of the day of the progress he’s making and ask him if he needs any help.” Socrates ran away almost knocking a tribeswoman, who was just taking some food to her home, over. Alexander shook his head with slight amusement and went back to work.

Alexander carrying lumber to the newly build village

It had been three weeks since the Pericles Speech and in those last three weeks the tribe was in a buildingfrenzie. There one’s nightcamp had been transformed in a small village of houses of wood and clay and at the edge of the village, around the rock on wich Pericles had given his speech, the tribespeople had erected an large building. Now, with every family the proud owner there own house, Pericles had called the tribe together again at the same place as three weeks ago. “My friends, three weeks ago we gathered here in this exact same place. Then we were a traveling tribe, ragged and hungry, wounded and thirsty. Now we are an nation, a small nation but we will grow. We will work the surrounding lands, we will train men to guard us and build magnificant buildings and one day we will settle other villages that follow our nation. I pledge this to you, my friends and brethren, one day we will be grand! One day we will be the grand greek NATION!!!

The new Greek nation

yeah these greeks are ahead of there time in clothing :shifty:

Wow the deity challenge thing is getting really popular

I think everybody is getting tired of winning all the time :p
playing a game where you far behind in score/techs/cities etc. is quite refreshing really ;)

do you mean the stories of Yoshiegg?? I've been following those.. or better said, I've read the first and am following the second..

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll take that as a yes :p

Top Bottom