Cops are above the law

Clearly his life was in danger so his refraining from use of deadly force shows remarkable restraint on his part.

:sarcasm:

Just figured I'd beat our local cadre of cops-can-do-no-wrong apologists to the punch...so to speak.

I was unaware we had a cadre of "cops-can-do-no-wrong" apologists. I was aware that we have some few people who refused to be misled by the blatant media lies about what happened in Ferguson, but I don't see how that is in any way twistable to "cops-can-do-no-wrong."

Now, there may be one or at most two members who adhere to that philosophy, but I don't think one or even two constitutes a cadre.

I was unaware we had a cadre of "cops-can-do-no-wrong" apologists. I was aware that we have some few people who refused to be misled by the blatant media lies about what happened in Ferguson, but I don't see how that is in any way twistable to "cops-can-do-no-wrong."

Now, there may be one or at most two members who adhere to that philosophy, but I don't think one or even two constitutes a cadre.

I was thinking of two specifically. Whether that constitutes a cadre I concede is debatable.

http://q13fox.com/2014/12/05/king-c...officer-accused-of-punching-handcuffed-woman/

Watch the bottom video for footage of the cop punching the handcuffed woman in the face so hard he broke her eyesocket... and not being prosecuted.

Yet another example of police brutality going unpunished.

I wonder if anyone has taken the time to actually see how often cops are indeed punished for excessive use of force?

I bet you might find more than a few cases where they actually are.

I was thinking of two specifically. Whether that constitutes a cadre I concede is debatable.

I'm willing to bet even the two you think aren't really that either.

Hell, I know I'm not. I've seen firsthand a lot of cops 'do wrong' and even get sent to jail for it.

But, I guess disagreeing with you on a couple of cases earns one the label.

Actually, I don't think we have anyone that totally says cops can do no wrong. They obviously can and do. Just like many of them do what is right.

I guess that depends if you count 'leave of absence with pay' as a punishment or a vacation.

Not as often as they should, no. There are too many cases of wrist-slapping and cover-ups.

But neither am I in the cops-can-do-no-right cadre, to borrow a phrase. I'm with Wilson in Ferguson.

Really, the entire issue could be solved by the cops wearing those mini cameras in their uniforms, recording their interactions. No false cries of brutality when there weren't any, since the evidence will be there, and probably a lot less actual brutality.

Not as often as they should, no. There are too many cases of wrist-slapping and cover-ups.

But neither am I in the cops-can-do-no-right cadre, to borrow a phrase. I'm with Wilson in Ferguson.

Really, the entire issue could be solved by the cops wearing those mini cameras in their uniforms, recording their interactions. No false cries of brutality when there weren't any, since the evidence will be there, and probably a lot less actual brutality.

Two of the three most recent incidents were recorded, and still people don't think about what the legality of force is in these circumstances. So body cam might reduce the number of cases and by all means it protects the many good officers but even still you get sensationalized cases because people don't understand what is and is not authorized force.

Gang's all here.

As to you saying there are those that say cops do no wrong, I contest that with multiple posts saying that I accept that there are bad seeds in every job on this planet to include police officers. I still hold my first statement most if not all people bashing the cops for excessive force don't understand the legal aspects of the use of force.

While not vouching for seeing any specific protests against cops by some, I can say I have seen some uppityness against prosecutors when they go after lacrosse players.

Two of the three most recent incidents were recorded, and still people don't think about what the legality of force is in these circumstances. So body cam might reduce the number of cases and by all means it protects the many good officers but even still you get sensationalized cases because people don't understand what is and is not authorized force.

I think these cases get sensationalized because people do understand exactly what is and is not authorized force, combined with a WTF moment they are easy to sensationalize

I think these cases get sensationalized because people do understand exactly what is and is not authorized force, combined with a WTF moment they are easy to sensationalize

I stand by the fact that two Grand Juries and a Prosecutor have all ruled in favor of the officers, it stands to reason that people perpetuating these stories clearly don't know use of force laws. If people did understand these laws then the only cases that would be playing the mainstream media would be true cases of excessive force. Instead you see cases where nothing was done wrong, or at least not to a criminal level.

Actually I think people have a problem specifically because they do see what is "authorized force" and are revolted by the fact that it is authorized. Our little crew of apologists notwithstanding, the general public has a problem with the death penalty for shoplifters and brutal beatings for intoxicated women being "authorized".

I stand by the fact that two Grand Juries and a Prosecutor have all ruled in favor of the officers, it stands to reason that people perpetuating these stories clearly don't know use of force laws. If people did understand these laws then the only cases that would be playing the mainstream media would be true cases of excessive force. Instead you see cases where nothing was done wrong, or at least not to a criminal level.

I did not say they were wrong I said they were WTF moments. is it just business as usual that a cop shoots a 12 year old playing with a BB gun? Does it make a difference if the cop was legally adhering to procedures months later after a grand jury....WTF, there must be a better way

it stands to reason that cases like this will be sensationalized by the media, it is in the public interest to question if the existing procedures are appropriate

I did not say they were wrong I said they were WTF moments. is it just business as usual that a cop shoots a 12 year old playing with a BB gun? who really cares about if the cop was legally adhering to procedures....WTF, there must be a better way

it stands to reason that cases like this will be sensationalized by the media, it is in the public interest to question if the existing procedures are appropriate

Procedures that have been established over many years to best service the community and ensure Officer safety. Since you brought up the kid in Ohio, clearly there was no way for the officers to know ahead of time that the child had a fake gun. The parents are at fault for allowing the child to play with a real looking gun in public. In the New York case the man resisted arrest when he knew he had numerous life threatening health conditions, Micheal Brown assaulted a police officer, and in this most recent case in this thread the person assaulted a cop, and a responsible level of force was used to subdue the subject.

Hmm would you look at that Cops responding with the appropriate level of force across the board. Now again, there are bad cops but the media likes to sensationalize stories because of the initial appearance, they could care less about the actual facts of the case.

But the cop in Ohio harmed a kid, so some would say he should immediately be put to death.

I qualified the statement in the other thread there JR.

Top Bottom