1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus Ε

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Oct 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Sorry, but general consensus isn't all that convincing.
    If it comes from within the Health Department, I'd give it a bit of credence: if it came after a boozy lunch with Godwin Grech or his ilk, forget it! :)

Consensus here is that they took the right action.
    I would be very suspicious of using NSW experience as a yardstick for how SA should or shouldn't conduct its overall plan.
    We have quite a lot of old people here (which you'd notice if you stopped staring at your Walkman for 5 seconds!)
    Population density, intra-city travel patterns, available hospital beds etc, etc make head-to-head comparisons tenuous at best. (IMO.)

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

It will be very hard to get 50% of the population vaccinated fast though.

Chocolate Santa with face mask.
    Apparently the confectionary (in Bavaria) which made it was first suffering from a feces storm, but now the tide has turned and they're getting more positive feedback.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Only good thing about December is that it's the end of the ridiculous german eu presidency.
    It then goes to Portugal, so Germany will have to just use it as a vassal.

4. amadeus

amadeus Minutiaemania

Japan passed 2,500 daily cases today for the first time. Prime Minister Suga has announced what appears to be a suspension of the government’s “Go To” campaigns which subsidized domestic travel and dining.

Here in Osaka, over 400 (positive rate today 11.2%) after breaking the 300 mark earlier this week. It’s a three day weekend here so tests will be down the next few days.

I already hated the winter before this year.

5. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

New "personal best" with 642 daily cases in Latvia. I miss summer when this place was cleanest on entire continent with 0 for many days. Well, I guess not gonna leave my far far away from any civilization house for months.

6. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

That is true especially when people start reading the fine print.

The new vaccine hijacks the body's cells with fragile RNA and forces it to manufacture virus parts that the body then easily fights off. (like a synthetic virus essentially)

Before 2020 there were no mRNA vaccines used in humans.

I assume the technology was tested in short-lived mice for a full life cycle to make sure there was no cancerous side effects or anything too extreme.

Britain is doing a more traditional vaccine production with weakened virus or somesuch I think.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 11:23 AM
    Hrothbern likes this.
  7. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

It's a new technology, for sure. And I guess we need a new technology, because it's not like we had coronavirus vaccines previously.

One thing I think is fun is to do a Google Scholar search for "mRNA vaccine", but set the filter to be before 2020. That way you can see the discussion leading up to it.

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

is there anything to the claim the bug showed up in Italy back in Sept '19

and China may be off the hook?

9. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Who knows, but nah.

10. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Fire up Google Scholar and enter SARS-COV2 origin.

One idea is zoonotic transfer from pangolin and subsequent natural selection in humans.

So where do pangolins live?

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

No real clue, but the general idea is that these live markets are the center of transmission.
    So... not exactly living there.

As far as I know they don't have samples to prove anything.
    Not so that there are really any consequences anyways. There wasn't any large scale outbreak before, and nobody's going to punish anyone. Trying to shift around if it was first somewhere else, and if or if not someone might or might not have messed up their disease management (which China did way better than most other countries, as it seems) is mainly a politicum, and doesn't have any useful consequences or implications at the end.

12. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

And the US, too?

Morell noted separately on Thursday that if the virus leaked from a Wuhan lab, the U.S. would
    shoulder some of the blame since it funded research at that lab through government grants from
    2014-2019.

“If it did escape from the lab, not only bad on China but also bad on the U.S. for giving funding
    to a lab with safety concerns,” Morell said, referring to State Department cables from early
    2018 that warned of the lab’s risky coronavirus experiments and shortage of trained technicians.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...out-coronavirus-man-made-origin-theory-226269

Regarding some of those State Dept. cables:

The Chinese researchers at WIV were receiving assistance from the Galveston National Laboratory at
    the University of Texas Medical Branch and other U.S. organizations...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...-issues-wuhan-lab-studying-bat-coronaviruses/

Berzerker and Hrothbern like this.
  13. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Earliest I've found is December.

There was some sewage samples from last year where they detected it but haven't heard much since.

14. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Not that long ago I was shocked that 300K americans will be dead by this year
    Now it seems that the estimate 500K will be dead by the time this is over dosnt seem to be impossible with the way things are going. The silver lining if there is any as I read this is that a lot of the older republicans will be making up these grim numbers

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I had to buy some toilet paper for the first time in a while and the shelves were completely empty of all paper products. Lots of other random foods and supplies were also sold out.

16. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Liberterians owning coranvirus

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Spoke with my relatives, they say vitamin D is impossible to buy, it completely disappeared from drug stores in Moscow. Weird.

18. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

So an FDA advisory panel will meet December 10th to discuss recommending emergency authorization of Pfizer's mRNA vaccine.

It is 95% effective against covid in 43,000 human volunteers.

People are arguing we should wait 6 months to see how the volunteers fare in the short-medium term before authorizing putting it in 20 million Americans.

We might see the vaccine being used before year's end.

19. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Salmon, trout, halibut, herring, eggs, milk. Try those.

Edit: and mackerel of course.

red_elk and Hrothbern like this.
  20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Not very surprising, during covet d.

Ferocitus likes this.