Coronavirus 2: the Flattening

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSNBC crew was down in Florida showing people without masks at the beach as Katy Tur asked the reporter 'dont people (those rubes) care about their safety?' Some guy in a Packers jersey filmed the MSNBC crew and he said half your own crew aint wearing masks including the cameraman. The husband of Michigan governor Whitmer got busted trying to go boating. he told them do you know who I am?

After complaining about closing churches and letting people buy booze and dope, tonight Tucker Carlson defended opening beaches and parks etc by citing how virtually all cases of transmission occurred in doors... Like people crowded into churches. He didn't mention the last sentence.
one thing not getting mentioned very much is that 66% of new cases in New York is from people who stayed home and did not go to church
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronav...0200506-eyqui4b5lfdn7g6cqswkf6otly-story.html
for Gov. CUOMO'S charts see his press briefing on may 4th or may 5 from memorey
“This is a surprise: Overwhelmingly, the people were at home,” Cuomo said during a briefing on Long Island. “We thought maybe they were taking public transportation, and we’ve taken special precautions on public transportation, but actually no, because these people were literally at home.”

It shows how powerfully transmissible a virus is, eh? Since people were doing their reasonable best to limit their exposure and still caught it.

It shows how powerfully transmissible a virus is, eh? Since people were doing their reasonable best to limit their exposure and still caught it.
or being at home is like being on a cruise linner petri dish or that the Japan response is better than the NY respose
After six weeks of falling infections, the Government overnight lifted the state of emergency in the remaining five regions, including the capital Tokyo.
Mr Abe said Japan had set the highest benchmark in the world for lifting its state of emergency.
"Japan did not implement a mandatory stay-at-home policy with penalties after it declared a state of emergency," Mr Abe said.
abc.net.au/news/2020-05-26/japan-lifts-coronavirus-state-of-emergency-in-tokyo/12286064

or being at home is like being on a cruise linner petri dish or that the Japan response is better than the NY respose

abc.net.au/news/2020-05-26/japan-lifts-coronavirus-state-of-emergency-in-tokyo/12286064

Lots of places didn't have stay at home orders. They seem a bit helpful. The problem is that once you've let covid get out of control, it doesn't seem like any measures are sufficient to quickly get it under control, so people grasp at any marginal measures they can.

if you got the bug staying home, you're sharing the house with someone who aint staying home

Linked previously: An outbreak of common colds at an Antarctic base after seventeen weeks of complete isolation

Sharing the same housing with 11 other people is not complete isolation and I assume many more have lived there. Your link says 6 of 12 caught it 'sequentially', so one of them spread it to the others, but it doesn't explain the cause.

If I had to guess I'd say one of them came into contact with the bug at the base or brought a dormant bug with them. I dont think thats evidence you can get Covid by staying home in isolation. Some people are testing positive after being cleared, so maybe one of the crew had a cold that seemed to go away and returned under the right conditions.

I forgot to take issue with this particular salient point of innonimatu's misinformation campaign:
It looks like I have to set some false news right.
<snipped image>

Argentinian total external debt in 2015, when the government you liked started: US $160 billion

Argentina's total external debt in 2019, when the government you liked ended: US $280 billion
This debt was all acquired by a bill of Congress. A duly sanctioned one, not like the current travesty of ‘emergency laws’ (2002-15 and Dec. 2019-???) that mean the executive branch of government legislates regardless of an express constitutional ban.
And all throughout the 2015-2019 the various fragments of the now-reunited Peronist hydra held the deciding vote in both the upper and the lower house.

It's like the Republicans in the US with you, I recently said that you're functionally a chatbot that detects tagged issues and posts the same drivel over and over and you keep proving me right.

Meanwhile, a quick rundown of a couple of Brazilian newspapers tells me that Brazil's passed the 24,500-death mark while Bolsonaro keeps up with his antics (he's accused of being a new Mussolini).

Also, NYT reports stuff that is sadly unsurprising:

As Child Hunger Soars, Federal Aid Lags
  • Child hunger is soaring while an emergency program funded by Congress to replace school meals has reached only 15 percent of eligible children.
  • States that reopened earlier — or never fully shut down — are among those showing signs of further spread.
  • House G.O.P. leaders have sued to block a proxy voting system set up for use during the pandemic, calling it unconstitutional.

Chief among which, if you dig in, is the surprising fact that the poor are the hardest-hit.

The same way it happens to 12 people after 17 weeks. Might not be knowable, but we can't know that it's due to a lack of isolation.

How did someone in Antarctica catch a cold? If it might not be knowable, why would that prove 1 person can get Covid by staying home?

Looking at the paper: "...symptoms and signs of a common cold after 17 weeks of complete isolation. Examination of specimens taken from the men in relation to the outbreak has not revealed a causative agent."
Symptoms of a common cold can be caused by several problems, not necessarily a bug?

Japanese bow instead of shaking hands
Sick people wear mask because its polite, Japan is a also very clean place
National healthcare

US people whom have corna and are told to self quarentine instead go to parties
People refuse to wear masks even as 100K have died
No National healthcare

How did someone in Antarctica catch a cold? If it might not be knowable, why would that prove 1 person can get Covid by staying home?

I guess the most likely case is that the virus stayed intact somewhere on a surface, and after some time some human touched it.

This doesn't negate that staying at home decreases your chance of getting infected by a lot.

Looking at the paper: "...symptoms and signs of a common cold after 17 weeks of complete isolation. Examination of specimens taken from the men in relation to the outbreak has not revealed a causative agent."
Symptoms of a common cold can be caused by several problems, not necessarily a bug?

Depends on what symptoms.
Head ache, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, that probably yes.
Coughing, runny nose, throat infection, swollen lymph nodes, that less.

That said, the paper is pretty old, and we have now better techniques.
At that time, the method which we use now to detect viruses was not even invented (PCR, 1980s), and even with that, you can only find what you're looking for.
If they'd re-examine the samples today (if properly stored), they might find something with the standard techniques, and even if not, catch-all metagenomic sequencing might find it.

Antarctica is very cold.

Someone can cough or touch a cold surface and the virus or bacteria containing droplets expelled
freeze and remains dormant almost indefinitely. Someone else a few months or a few
years later picks up that object or touches that surface and their body heat reactivates it.

The virus isn't magic, but we don't have good intuitions for how it functions. This means that there's a lot of behaviour that doesn't help, even if people are trying their reasonable best. Various societies are going to show different levels of success, and we're going to do our best to glean what worked and what didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom