Coronavirus 2: the Flattening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food banks.

The government here is paying for the food banks.

Even without that it's still market forces procuring the food donated.

Economics 101 is no such thing as a free lunch. It means someone pays for it.

Food banks the person donating has probably paid for it, or the government has.

Note I'm not opposed to UBIs for the uuemployed or government's paying for food banks which is what is happening here.

One way or another the tax payer is picking up the bill either via tax, debt repayments or inflation.

If you're giving food to your friends and families you are probably paying for it via wages or welfare payment.

Even in something like the Inca the farmers labour is paying for the food the ruler is redistributing.

I just planted a bunch of veggies, so in 2-3 months I should have enough tomatoes, kale, spinach, green beans, and cucumbers for...I dunno, 0.5 meals a day?

It's ok, I can survive from the sheer patriotism of having a Victory Garden alone, like a good American.

I just planted a bunch of veggies, so in 2-3 months I should have enough tomatoes, kale, spinach, green beans, and cucumbers for...I dunno, 0.5 meals a day?

It's ok, I can survive from the sheer patriotism of having a Victory Garden alone, like a good American.

Just remember to give thanks to Trump when you starve.

Carrots and potatoes are good in terms of calories per square metre.

Cabbage and lettuce not so much.

Picked carrots once. We couldn't harvest them fast enough. A 400 by 1000 metre field is a lot of carrots.

I think those fields are now used to grow feed for animals. Milk production worth more than vegetables.

Looks like we are going to hit another record high number of deaths today, in the US and in the world.

The acting secretary of the navy was forced to resign for the rant he leveled against the carrier captain after he spoke out against the effects the virus was having on his crew.

The acting secretary of the navy was forced to resign for the rant he leveled against the carrier captain after he spoke out against the effects the virus was having on his crew.

Hopefully he'll get his job back or some other appointment.

He did right by his crew when they weren't needed at sea.

Looks like we are going to hit another record high number of deaths today, in the US and in the world.

Ouch. Hadn't looked in a while, but with the assumed 150+ undocumented cases in NY today's US casualties are past the 2000 mark.

Hopefully he'll get his job back or some other appointment.

He did right by his crew when they weren't needed at sea.

If they aren't needed why do we have an aircraft carrier for them to be on in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that Trump's 'federal coordination' of resource distribution has taken the form of the Feds intercepting every resource they can and then handing it over to middlemen with Trump connections to then bid it out. In the end, we all pay more and the resources are mal-distributed but Trump's friends get rich.

I have moved past anger and am well into despair about all this. The country will pull through but at what cost? And will it be the same country that went into the crisis? I mean we were already teetering on collapsing into a banana republic but I don't see a way out of it.

If they aren't needed why do we have an aircraft carrier for them to be on in the first place?

Not a wartime situation. The carrier wasn't needed right there and then.

With how cruise boats are turning out going back to port was the best call.

If it was WW2 and the carrier is needed right now the crew would be heroes sacrificing themselves to defeat the Japanese.

I have checked my zipper and suggest we all do the same.

I read that Trump's 'federal coordination' of resource distribution has taken the form of the Feds intercepting every resource they can and then handing it over to middlemen with Trump connections to then bid it out. In the end, we all pay more and the resources are mal-distributed but Trump's friends get rich.

I have moved past anger and am well into despair about all this. The country will pull through but at what cost? And will it be the same country that went into the crisis? I mean we were already teetering on collapsing into a banana republic but I don't see a way out of it.

Biden winning and a widespread collapse of GoP support a'la President Hoover?

The idea that the US is a first world nation anymore is pretty much shattered imo. Now how long will it take for the voting population to catch up with this reality is a vastly different question. Our preparedness level and response to this was second rate at best.

Yeah, conscription at the time of demand was obsolete a long time ago.

Short-term save the crew, carriers can have a dual use later for humanitarian aid.

9/11 every day in the US for 2-3 weeks. Getting close now.

Yep, and another strange hike in France too.

France has had some reporting issues that throw stuff off, but their count today seems, unfortunately, in line. I wish it was a strange hike, but it looks more like expected growth.

Short-term save the crew, carriers can have a dual use later for humanitarian aid.

Yeah, the Navy prioritizes the ship over any crewman's life. Always has. Probably should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom