Coronavirus 2: the Flattening

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is, in practical terms of allowable activities, there's hardly any difference between zero cases and a non-zero number of cases that's within the capacity that contact tracing is able to deal with.

There is. Singapore thought they were on top of things. They weren't.

There is. Singapore thought they were on top of things. They weren't.

Your first sentence doesn't follow from the latter two.

I don't expect that it's realistic for any country with zero cases to have borders tight enough to ensure zero cases indefinitely. There's no practical difference to R between one case and a hundred.

Last edited:
Your first sentence doesn't follow from the latter two.

I don't expect that it's realistic for any country with zero cases to have borders tight enough to ensure zero cases indefinitely. There's no practical difference to R between one case and a hundred.

Singapore had a very small amount of cases. They thought they were on top of it with contact tracing and apps.

My idea of being able to keep up is lower. Depends on how efficient your system is I suppose.

Every confirmed case had mandatory self isolation.

a government website was taken down and then put back up but with cumulative death tolls removed, daily bulletins are now published three hours later, i.e. after the television news programmes instead of before, they still don't have a health minister, and they are having at least a death a minute. But Bolsonaro says it's everyone's fate to die so he's not worried. :thumbsup:

It might just be that the they have concluded that the cumulative death toll is so
inaccurate as to be dangerously misleading and not worth arguing for it to be listing.

A lot of people think that excess deaths over what would be
expected from the same period in previous years; either
uncorrected for changes in population age profiles or
actuarily corrected for such changes; is more meaningful.

Last edited:
From PM of NZ herself: “[..] elimination is not a point in time, it is a sustained effort [...] We almost certainly will see cases here again, and I do want to say that again, we will almost certainly see cases here again [...]”

Wouldn't surprise me. We don't know if it's recurring and asymptomatic carriers may have been missed.

Still they found no community cases in a month of looking.

It might just be that the they have concluded that the cumulative death toll is so
inaccurate as to be dangerously misleading and not worth arguing for it to be listing.

Yyyyes, except that you're missing the part where the new health minister is an army general with no expertise on the subject who's been put there by Bolsonaro just to keep things in hand.

40K deaths over 3 months ?
vs 29K death over 12 months ?

In the future there is only self owning.

Wouldn't surprise me. We don't know if it's recurring and asymptomatic carriers may have been missed.

Still they found no community cases in a month of looking.

So are all restrictions lifted now? I bet being a normal unrestricted economy could draw a lot of investment. NZ should have pretty low risk for 2nd waves. Other countries are less able to control their borders. Also few countries have the same level of trust when it comes to being open about new cases.

Hear that distant thunder? That's all the worlds pension funds coming your way.

Some restrictions are lifted in Moscow starting from today. People can travel anywhere without getting permit. Hairdresser salons are reopened.
Next week, museums and libraries will open, after that caffees and sport centers.

So are all restrictions lifted now? I bet being a normal unrestricted economy could draw a lot of investment. NZ should have pretty low risk for 2nd waves. Other countries are less able to control their borders. Also few countries have the same level of trust when it comes to being open about new cases.

Hear that distant thunder? That's all the worlds pension funds coming your way.

Pretty much. The level 1 restrictions are guidelines along the lines of don't cough in public. It's mostly border restrictions.

Social distancing broke down in level 2 anyway. We're going out for family dinner tomorrow and I think grandma is coming so 4 generations of wife's family.

Borders being relaxed as well. Mandatory quarantine for two weeks. Unaccompanied family members of citizens and residents can now enter the country.

Basically say I had a foreign wife. She couldn't enter the country unless I was stuck over seas. I could bring her back with me.

But if I was here and she was overseas she couldn't get in unless she is citizen or resident.

There's been 2200 exceptions allowed in for various reasons. Everyone entering is in mandatory quarantine for two weeks regardless of citizenship. There's capacity for just over 3000 people in quarantine essentially government paid hotel room.

Last edited:
No locally acquired new cases in Australia today.

The ACT had its first new case in about 5 weeks the other day - a diplomat who due to the quarantine exception for diplomats due to the Vienna protocols on free diplomatic movement, was able to drive from Sydney and quarantine in Canberra instead of being locked in a hotel at Sydney airport.

There's gonna be 2000 at Adelaide Oval on the weekend for the footy, that kinda came out of nowhere

I am working Security for the super rugby next weekend, it might be one of the first professional sports events with a crowd in the world. Since this all started.
Belarus ran football games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom