1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus 2: the Flattening

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arwon, Apr 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Uh.

Leaving aside all moral arguments, considering incubation period of the disease is 4-14 days, you may have been exposed to the pathogen by the infected people you interacted with, and the virus may simply be in its incubation period.

For self-preservation reason only, self-isolate from work where there may be other asymptomatic carriers and get tested.

Arwon and The_J like this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Deity

The only reason I think I may have infected them is that the only people that have gotten sick at my work are those that I interact with. I know that's not super hardcore evidence, but it still makes me wonder...

3. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

That just means it's extremely likely that you are also exposed, and are only in its incubation period.

Death from covid-19 can be sudden as one of its more rare symptom is a heartattack. This symptom can occur even when its more common lung-related problem have not manifested itself. Get tested,

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Funnily, I had really not considered this o_O.

But you need to use a towel, and that'll be touching your face, so... guess it's not gonna work.

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'm entirely unconcerned about my hands touching grimy surfaces at the gym. Stuff at the gym is covered in shoe rubber and chalk, that's just about the last place where I'd touch my face with my hands after touching things.

El_Machinae likes this.
  6. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Bring your own towel in a bag.

My gym is re-opening soon and I am considering things.

7. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I carry a small bag with a towelette in it that also has isopropyl alcohol at >50% concentration. Whenever I worry about my hands, I just wipe them down with the towel and let them dry.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  8. Samson

Samson Deity

Have you started wearing the mask?

9. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Only in the elevator. My work is being really weird about this though. Initially they said the floors the people who got it work on would be closed for two weeks for sanitizing, but then opened those floors back up a mere four hours after saying they'd be closed stating everything is fine and there is no threat of the virus.

10. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

How sure are you that your co-workers actually have the Coronavirus?

11. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Don't know. When all of the managers were told, those relaying the message made it sound like a certainty. But the supposedly infected individuals were allowed to return to work with no additional safety or isolation measures taken.

El_Machinae likes this.
  12. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Commodore, wear the mask, especially if you already feel that you are some sort of carrier or infectee.

El_Machinae likes this.
  13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

It goes without saying we are the worst in response to this having flattened a curve only to have no plan to keep it anywhere near flat.

https://theweek.com/articles/921833/world-putting-america-quarantine

But the Trump administration did not even try this on a national level, or do anything of significance. Indeed, American politics is so broken that we couldn't even manage the simplest common-sense containment strategy of mandating universal mask-wearing in any indoor space. American public health experts spent weeks on a bizarre and scientifically illiterate crusade against masks — a study years ago found that even cheap homemade masks significantly reduce droplet-based infection — but even after plenty of new evidence has come in, Trump and most Republicans keep insisting a mask is a matter of personal choice. Instead masks got sucked into the conservative grievance industrial complex, becoming another postmodern cultural signifier for right-wingers trying to own the libs.

If only their self owning ignorance only killed them. . . I just can't even understand the level of stupidity in the GOP base anymore. I remember when they thought doing something about climate change was a good idea. . .At least sort of pretending it was a good idea anyways. ./stares over at Siberia on fire . . .wtf

14. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Masks were created by the Devil for sinister communistic purposes!
    https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-u...to-throw-god-s-wonderful-breathing-system-out

Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

‘imposing a communist dictatorship and dishonouring the American flag.’

The US flag is red.

16. Arwon

Arwon

I can understand risking your life for, like, a tasty restaurant meal or a family visit or even NASCAR but why on earth would anyone do this for what the British think are "beaches". Truly nightmarish.

Kyriakos likes this.
  17. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Just tell them to inject bleach, and take some hydroxychloroquine

Seriously you will want to take some extra precautions, just all the usual things that the CDC recommend to try and minimize the risks dont have to go overboard. Dose Texas not have free cornavirus testing ?

If you are a carrier it will probably hit you in about 12-14 days time.

18. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

19. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Brazil's passed the 55k dead mark and 1.2 million infectees (Globo).

Currently Bolsonaro's approval rating stands at 32% and his disapproval rating stands at 44% (Globo again) while the Big B says that people worry too much about it (three for three, Globo again).

The_J likes this.
  20. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

UK government does not intend to impose stricter lockdown rules to counter this undesired behaviour.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53190209

The ball is in the hands of the self-responsibility of the UK citizens now.
    Either they, and not only 51% or only 80% learn to handle that freedom the government gives... either they all handle that freedom in a responsible way... or all will face high deaths rates or the negative economic consequences of a new stricter lockdown.

And the UK is not unique in that squeeze... I see many other countries struggling with exactly the same issue.... whereby noted that many EU countries have the advantage of a lower amount of infected people per capita because they started earlier and then more effective their lockdown. The beaches in the Netherlands look pretty similar at the hot spots. Mitigation here from more beaches per capita for sure. But with the summer holiday season coming we are in the same squeeze and individual citizens will decide what happens.
    Is the convenience of our systemic weakness of blaming the government for everything that goes wrong, and assign to ourselves to what goes right, fit to handle serious realities like this Covid pandemy ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.