1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus 3: The Resurgence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by red_elk, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Moderator Action: PDMA quote removed. leif

Hi, read this:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
  2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

@Lemon Merchant Well, I was going to reply to Commodore, but after reading your post, I see no point. You said everything so well. :)

3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

If you're truly willing to pay thousands, getting infected by the coronavirus on your schedule would be extremely easy. I would personally wait until the data regarding reinfection in more stable, but that's just me. All that said, obviously you should be wearing a mask now, since you don't know if you're infectious.

I won't lie, I've often gotten to the point where I am waiting for someone I know to test positive and then getting them to lick my eyeball.

4. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

That’s the usual covid mythologemes. So what?

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Would it? Just finding someone who's a confirmed positive case seems challenging. I imagine any classified ad marketplace would be hostile to my ads searching for people with COVID-19. I suppose I could lie and say I'm a journalist or researcher, and then have respondents fill out a questionnaire about other infectious diseases that I don't want to accidentally catch before offering them cash to attempt to infect me.

Once the infection is attempted, the happy path is that then I get tested, and it's positive. Unclear what to do if I get a negative test. Did I already catch it sometime is the past few months? Am I showing symptoms but they're actually from a different infection? Am I naturally asymptomatic? Did I get a false negative test? Did I just get an insufficient viral load for infection? Did I just waste another two weeks of my life for nothing?

It's doable, but vastly more complicated than if there was support from an actual health authority.

As a side note, I could currently get an antibody test for $200... I have mixed thoughts, but will hold off on sharing them, pending input from anyone here on the merits.

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Phoenix, AZ; Houston, TX; and Jacksonville, FL are calling. Pick the one closet to you and spend a weekend in one of them.

7. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

There will be a spread of specificity values (and it's probably specificity that you're most interested in). Honestly, I wouldn't trust the published numbers yet, but that's just because I've purchased antibodies. I'm sure I'm wrong, since my bias is over a decade in the making.

The greatest risk from an antibody test is a false positive, where you think you have boosted resistance, but you don't.

amadeus likes this.
  8. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'm not sure "cross into America illegally" simplifies my plan a whole lot.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Lockdown s a d social distancing are being done. New York's got through the worst of it and it's reaching smaller centers.

10. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Meanwhile in the Rodina
    At least Ivan is digging trenchs to try and contain this. Yank is strutting around acting like everything is fine.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    The_J likes this.
  11. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Not knowing whether immunity is stable and with a possibility to get long term damage to the body. Cool plan.

Lockdowns suppose to prevent new infections, not to help already infected. What we see is stable death rate despite sharp growth in new infections per day.
    Either doctors learnt to treat covid more effectively, or something else is happening.

stfoskey12, The_J and innonimatu like this.
  12. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Or, you know, people suffer from covid for a few weeks before they drop dead.

So if we see a massive increase in new infection rate as we’ve been observing for the last week or so, we should expect a massive spike in death rate in either coming week or the week after that. This is Espescially if the ever increasing number of infected overwhelm hospital capacity.

13. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Takes 2-4 weeks for the deathtoll to climb.

Might not see the old deathtoll numbers. With more testing though you will get more cases and a lower death rate.

Still wait a few weeks and see if you get 2000 dead a day in USA.

14. red_elk

red_elk Deity

It's already been more than 2 weeks. My point is that this may be a worldwide trend and there (hopefully) won't be a significant increase in death rate at all.

15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Could be down to who's getting sick.

If they're keeping it out if homes for the elderly the deathtoll should be lower.

Also they have figured out some different treatments since March and April.

16. Commodore

Commodore Deity

That's where you and I are never going to agree. No one has a duty to society to do anything. The only "duty" any individual person has is to take care of themselves and their families.

17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

The US or should I say... The Trump has something against foreigners Aliens

Here his Proclamation of June 22:
    Well... we had that discussion on losing the knowledge potential when you throw up practical and emphatic hurdles to attract talents from all over the world.... breaking the traditional succes model of the US
    Coming on top of all the other negatives caused by Trump in the eyes of many potential students.

Schermopname (1016).png

My reaction yesterday that it would be bad for the US, but would offer opportunities for all other developed countries

And here from today's Dutch news:
    :
    I can list up a lot of considerations how to balance importing cheap migrants on the one hand... with importing goods produced in foreign countries with cheap labor on the other hand
    How to balance generating new knowledge with people working in your country on the one hand... with importing applied knowledge or IP from people working in other countries on the other hand.
    From the hosting country perspective and from the home country perspective of the potential migrants.

But such lists of considerations do not apply to Trump.
    Not only because he does not read stuff... but because he is a too disruptive toddler who really believes that governing is as simple as making a deal at the pawn shop.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  18. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Aliens exist!
    Told you.

19. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

We are all going to be banned by Trump to area 51

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

stfoskey12, Birdjaguar, REDY and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.