Coronavirus 3: The Resurgence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mid August is absolutely ridiculous timeframe for vaccine release.
Instant wondercure:
1) snake oil
2) add water
3) ????
4) prosit!

My guess is Trump will praise it.

My guess is Trump will praise it.
If that is the price to pay for it being effective, so be it. I think there are some ill-willed agitators that want him to be wrong about this just so they can either gloat personally or advance their politics. I don’t think you’re doing it at all, but some of the comments I’ve read elsewhere online make me think a lot less of them.

This would apply in reverse too to Republicans that have resisted mask efforts or tried to thwart Dr. Fauci, etc.

Bolsonaro's demented Brazil keeps going hard at it with 90,000 dead and 2.5 million infectees, also breaking its record for daily recorded deaths (1554) in the process.

Don't know, checked Russian sources, they say vaccine is on 2-nd stage of clinical trials. It may be registered in August, but there will be 3-rd stage of trials in Autumn, mass vaccinations in early 2021 if everything goes well.
CNN article seems hysterical.

early vaccine makes it hard to explain the 200000 deaths .

But in what appears to be the first “citizen science” vaccine initiative, Estep and at least 20 other researchers, technologists, or science enthusiasts, many connected to Harvard University and MIT, have volunteered as lab rats for a do-it-yourself inoculation against the coronavirus.
“Science enthusiasts” ... “connected to Harvard” ... so it’s one well-known scientist out of thousands (statistical outlier) and 20 people, of whom some may have been students or staff at two universities.

Not against you, @Zelig! Just my reading of the article. Any vaccine that works is a good thing, but I have my doubts about this.

So the city and the police are butting heads over the whole mask thing. Basically the city is starting to take a harder stance on the mask requirement and saying everyone, including law enforcement, must wear a mask. The police are claiming they are exempt while in uniform though because of an executive order from the governor that exempts uniformed law enforcement from mask requirements. However, the city is countering by saying their mask requirement is an actual law since it was passed by city council and signed by the mayor and laws supercede executive orders, even if those executive orders come from a higher level of government. They are also reminding the police that they are city employees, and as such they must comply with all policies that apply to all other employees.

It'll be interesting to see how this little fight plays out.

It'll be interesting to see how this little fight plays out.

MeToo

I was already tempted this morning to ask that question of: "who is in charge ?"

But I did ask that question already a couple of days ago in a more general way.

The whole anti-mask thing confuses me. They work. If the police there can’t comply with that, why should their concerns about safety on the job be taken seriously? They’re demonstrating that it isn’t, so this would blow up in their faces.

Maybe they should get some face protection! Or give it a tacticool name, like “essential bioterror protector.” Or, put “Blue Lives Matter” on all the issued masks and then shame anyone that doesn’t wear one.

I’m looking at ends, not means.

Or, put “Blue Lives Matter” on all the issued masks and then shame anyone that doesn’t wear one

That could be a good business idea. I might have my wife make those (she's the crafty one) and we can sell them to the city. I've always heard government contracts are pretty lucrative.

GDP is down because people are spending less with fewer places or reasons to spend their money.

One good thing about it is debt, specifically credit card debt, is down. That may change now that unemployment compensation is not so generous.

Germany dropped by 10% too.
No official data for Russia yet, but earlier finance minister estimations were ~8%.

https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...ntial-candidate-dies-after-coronavirus-battle

Herman Cain, Former GOP Presidential Candidate, Dies After Coronavirus Battle
Cain, a Trump campaign surrogate, attended the president’s rally in Tulsa nearly two weeks before he tested positive for COVID-19.
By Lisa Hagen, Reporter July 30, 2020, at 11:02 a.m.

Herman Cain, a former presidential candidate and business executive, died from a nearly month-long battle with the coronavirus, his official Twitter account confirmed on Thursday.

Cain tested positive for the virus in late June and was admitted to a hospital in Atlanta on July 1, nearly two weeks after he attended President Donald Trump's campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Cain, who ran for the GOP presidential nomination in 2012 and founded the Godfather's Pizza chain, died at the age of 74.

"You're never ready for the kind of news we are grappling with this morning. But we have no choice but to seek and find God's strength and comfort to deal... #HermanCain," his account tweeted Thursday morning.

[ MAP: The Spread of Coronavirus ]

Cain, who was briefly mentioned last year as a potential Trump pick for the Federal Reserve board, attended the president's rally in Tulsa on June 20 as the city reported a spike in cases of COVID-19. Multiple Trump campaign staffers who traveled to Tulsa tested positive for the coronavirus, though it's unclear exactly how Cain, a co-chairman of Black Voices for Trump, contracted COVID-19.

A few days earlier, Cain's Twitter account said that he was receiving oxygen while hospitalized but that his conditions were improving.

So turns out thinking it's all a hoax doesn't always work out.

So turns out thinking it's all a hoax doesn't always work out.

It seems like the fundamental problem is that people only realize that it isn't a hoax, or really can happen to them, only after it actually happens to them. Or possibly to someone they are very close to. Which is not a very efficient way of dispelling a myth at all.

It seems like the fundamental problem is that people only realize that it isn't a hoax, or really can happen to them, only after it actually happens to them. Or possibly to someone they are very close to. Which is not a very efficient way of dispelling a myth at all.

Nope. This seems to me to a division in society which has gotten much deeper than just voting patterns. "The other side said, so they must be wrong", without taking any effort at all to investigate the truth.

If that is the price to pay for it being effective, so be it. I think there are some ill-willed agitators that want him to be wrong about this just so they can either gloat personally or advance their politics. I don’t think you’re doing it at all, but some of the comments I’ve read elsewhere online make me think a lot less of them.

This would apply in reverse too to Republicans that have resisted mask efforts or tried to thwart Dr. Fauci, etc.

I have some theranos shares for sale if you believe in that there will be a Vaccine by August.
Otherwise I suggest buying the one that China already has, because you know cheaper then developing your own, just pay cash, no refunds, also china is trying to steal the vaxcine from the US for some reason even though they announced they already have the vaxcine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom