Coronavirus 3: The Resurgence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, there are not deaths because almost all the new cases are so mild. They dont even need to go to the hospital.

I would say it is because now, the average infected is way younger with old people being more careful, while back in March there was a massive contagion among old people, mostly in geriatrics. That would explain it, but not completely though, since in fact new cases seem way milder than four months ago, even among youngsters.

It's the way pandemics work.

Weak die first, eventually you run out of the weakest and mortality goes down.

One way or another Covid will probably be a non event in a year or two.

but he did not single out Australia nor do I see his comments as criticism.
Australia has some resurgence but it's way smaller than the U.S. surge across majority of the states.

It's the way pandemics work.

Weak die first, eventually you run out of the weakest and mortality goes down.

One way or another Covid will probably be a non event in a year or two.
That eventual scenario will likely happen after at least 1 to 2 million deaths, but then Trump will suffer his re-election chance because of it.

Nope, there are not deaths because almost all the new cases are so mild. They dont even need to go to the hospital.

I would say it is because now, the average infected is way younger with old people being more careful, while back in March there was a massive contagion among old people, mostly in geriatrics. That would explain it, but not completely though, since in fact new cases seem way milder than four months ago, even among youngsters.

I am considering possible explanations:

(a) as you say older people are being more careful
(b) vigorous energetic youngsters taking more risk than those youngsters of less robust constitutions
(c) increased testing means more asymptiomatic and mildly symptiomatic
cases are being detected now when previously diagnosis more driven by those obviously ill
(d) increased take up of vitamins and essential minerals boosting immune system
(e) virus is mutating into less fatal variants

(b) vigorous energetic youngsters taking more risk than those youngsters of less robust constitutions
cases are being detected now when previously diagnosis more driven by those obviously ill
Yep, all possible factors. Summer is being particularly hot too. 40°C and above. Maybe that makes virus weaker or immune system stronger.

Not much to be optimistic about there; Mexico has twice the population of the Uk and is a third world country.

And its leader has been pretty stupid about the pandemic too. Not at Bolonsaro or Trump levels but as bad as Boris.

Not much to be optimistic about there; Mexico has twice the population of the Uk and is a third world country.
For being a close neighbor of the United States, Mexico has the higher chance to be infected rapidly.

The new mutated Covid strain(since July 5, 2020) arose from Houston seemed to be more contagious.

It seems that many Asian people are more vulnerable than so called 'whites'.

As many Mexicans had ancestors that migrated across the Bering
Strait land bridge during a glacial period, they may be more vulnerable..

That may be cultural. I noticed an awful lot of east asians on the tube wearing
face masks when I visited London, and that was long before coronavirus.

Even though most asian countries are making Europe and America look like total chumps?

Not all Europe was hit that hard. Mostly the west and north (apart from Italy and Spain).
Eg only 206 people have died here, by now.

Probably opening the borders for tourists is why some started dieing again.

I don't think it was the chinese - at any rate, there are a lot of chinese living in Athens, and some also in Thessalonike and they have also long-term rented both port facilities afaik.
But tourists testing positive is a thing, and now we have to use masks in supermarkets once again (and have set number entering), which was a measure cancelled for almost two months.

Btw, chinese must be the best immigrants ever.

Dang ! The election time is over here in Poland and the news/media are already again on the "corona" I am getting so sick of it (not literally). Half a year of torment of media trying to scare us. I know it is dangerous and we should take precautions but constantly bombarding with bad news gonna bring panic and I believe that panic is far worse than the virus itself. Not cool media guys ! Not cool at all. If panic issues than it is media fault , and they'll have the blood on their hands. Seeking constant sensation is a quality I hate among the media You see. If You guys have watched "The Anchorman" movie You'll know what I am talking about. Sure we need to be informed but we also need to stay calm. Every "rebel-rousing" excited speech is only gonna make the public more anxious and prone to do stupid things like looting, trashing, assault, arson, etc.

Doctors, hospital administrators, nurses, emergency paramedics, and researchers are exchanging information around the world very quickly.

I was amazed at how my cousin in Lithuania could get papers published in good quality medical journals when he described a set of as few as 8 cases,
and the similarities and outcomes of various treatments. It turns out that after peer-review the results are added into a variety of databases, and it's
important that the results are made available to the rest of the world's neurosurgery departments quickly.

I think we're seeing a similar phenomenon of rapid transmission of "indicators" of successful and unsuccessful treatments as the world's
medical community learns nuances of the disease.

Once again, selective editing:
It is possible that an Australian non-global paper would centre on Trump's opinion of Australia. Also, as Zelig posts, they make his quotes less incoherent.
And its leader has been pretty stupid about the pandemic too. Not at Bolonsaro or Trump levels but as bad as Boris.
He says that he will not wear a mask until there is no corruption in Mexico (of course, his own followers and campaign donors don't count) just to keep it up.

It is possible that an Australian non-global paper would centre on Trump's opinion of Australia. Also, as Zelig posts, they make his quotes less incoherent.

Reporting on every single foreign high profile mention of Australia, like a cringey needy child seeking attention and approval, is like a solid 70% of what the Australian media does. The suggestion that the SMH quote was a specific gotcha against Trump is silly. "The Americans are using us to help deflect" is all they care about.

(Should also note that "Trump is a dissembling moron" is just assumed knowledge in Australia at this point, he doesn't need to be specifically attacked like his fitness for office is an argument people still are having. His support here was running at 20% even in 2019 before he helped kill a couple hundred thousand Americans and sent his thugs to attack protesters and [Australian] media)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom