Coronavirus 3: The Resurgence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also: NSW continues to have around a dozen mostly linked cases a day, pretty much exclusively in a couple parts of Sydney but unknown source infections are up to 7 over the last week which could augur badly for the limits of contract tracing. Turns out the bluetooth handshake app developed by the govt has actually identified a few hundred contacts and even produced a couple of positive cases.

Victoria has gone into a stronger lockdown with a night time curfew, 5km travel radius limit, mandatory masks and the like. Getting a few hundred cases each day still.

We're actually waiting to hear the plans for various businesses, the tighter lockdown was announced last night with those business restrictions held over for today. I expect they'll make the pubs close, at the moment I think they have seated capacity with a 20 person limit plus distancing requirements, and table service only.

Also: NSW continues to have around a dozen mostly linked cases a day, pretty much exclusively in a couple parts of Sydney but unknown source infections are up to 7 over the last week which could augur badly for the limits of contract tracing. Turns out the bluetooth handshake app developed by the govt has actually identified a few hundred contacts and even produced a couple of positive cases.

Victoria has gone into a stronger lockdown with a night time curfew, 5km travel radius limit, mandatory masks and the like. Getting a few hundred cases each day still.

So is Australia is managing to keep that mostly contained inside the state suffering from a particularly silly government state?

The findings suggest infection and exposure to coronaviruses induces long-lasting memory T cells, which could help in the management of the current pandemic and in vaccine development against COVID-19.

The revelation that T cells were found in all subjects who recovered from SARS 17 years ago, and in over 50% of those who had not had SARS or the current Covid-19, suggested a level of pre-existing immunity in the general population to SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus strain that causes the Covid-19 disease.

from yahoo news

oops, sorry... Thats about Vietnam's resistance

Well that was a big embarassing. the swiss federal health agency on friday released statistics about the possible source of infections in the last two weeks. now ,the statistic wasn't really useful to begin with, since over 3/4 of the sources were unknown, but on top of that they messed up the columns and applied percentages to the wrong sources :blush:
Yesterday they had to release a correction.

Iirc NZ also has some tiny islands to the east.
Not sure if they contain anything.

Yes
there are a couple of small NZ islands nearer the Latin American coast.
There was recently aninteresting finding of native SA indian DNA in the NZ polynesians of these small islands.
Best time stamp estimate on that DNA around 1150 C.E. also around the time Polybesians are thought to have colonised these islands.

The remaining questions:
Were those islands first colonised by SA indians ?
or
Were those pieces of Indian DNA from visits of these Polynesian settlers to Latin America ?

So yes.. those islands contain interesting DNA :)

Moreno-Estrada, Sandoval, and their team found that people on many islands had both Polynesian and European ancestry, reflecting their colonial histories. But they were also able to detect a small amount of Native American ancestry in people from the eastern Polynesian islands of Palliser, the Marquesas, Mangareva, and Rapa Nui. The Native American sequences were short and nearly identical—seemingly a legacy of one long-ago meeting with a Native American group, rather than sustained contact over generations, Moreno-Estrada says.

Comparing those sequences with genomes from people from 15 Indigenous groups from the Pacific coast of Latin America, researchers found most similarity to the Zenu, an Indigenous group from Colombia, the team reports today in Nature.

Analyses of the length of the Native American sequences show this ancestry appeared first on Fatu Hiva in the South Marquesas roughly 28 generations ago, which would date it to about 1150 C.E. That’s about when the island was settled by Polynesians, raising the possibility the contact happened even earlier. The genetic legacy of that mixing was then carried by Polynesian voyagers as they settled other islands, including Rapa Nui.

Where exactly the first encounter took place, the team can’t say. Modern Latin American fishermen lost at sea have been known to drift all the way to Polynesian islands. “It could have been one raft lost in the Pacific,” Moreno-Estrada says.

But it’s more likely that Polynesians traveled to the northern coast of South America, says Keolu Fox, a genome scientist at UC San Diego. Polynesian voyagers frequently traveled between islands and could have journeyed to South America and back, perhaps multiple times, Fox says. “In the process, these Polynesians bring back the sweet potato, and they also bring back a small fragment of Native American DNA” from relationships on the mainland. “The ocean is not a barrier” for Polynesians, he says.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...s-met-native-americans-long-europeans-arrived

I have been developing a dry cough in the last week. Not that unusual, I have a bronchitis so often that a colleague said she could identify me based on my coughing. I am contemplating though to get tested :think:.

If you have to meet other people because of your work I would get tested.

If not... whatever feels comfortable enough.
If I, almost isolated anyway, would have that cough, I would wait it out.... see what symptoms develop.
But if the test centre would be around the corner (it is in reality 45 minutes by bike) I would always go.

Yes
there are a couple of small NZ islands nearer the Latin American coast.
There was recently aninteresting finding of native SA indian DNA in the NZ polynesians of these small islands.
Best time stamp estimate on that DNA around 1150 C.E. also around the time Polybesians are thought to have colonised these islands.

The remaining questions:
Were those islands first colonised by SA indians ?
or
Were those pieces of Indian DNA from visits of these Polynesian settlers to Latin America ?

So yes.. those islands contain interesting DNA :)

Not that far east. We've got the Chatham islands that are inhabited.

Fake news. It is just part of Queensland.

This is actually true

Iirc NZ also has some tiny islands to the east.
Not sure if they contain anything.

New Zealand proper has about 600 islands beyond the main two, about a dozen of which are inhabited. NZ also has a form of sovereignty or responsibility over Tokelau (a straightup territory like Guam to the US), the Cook Islands and Niue (same self governing status as Micronesia or Palau to the US).

Wiki has this map:

upload_2020-8-4_12-40-57.png

Whoever described it as "closer to Latin America" is stretching - Chatham Island is around 8300km from Chile, which is roughly the distance from Paris to Vladivostok.

The Pacific is really really really big

Last edited:
This is actually true

New Zealand proper has about 600 islands beyond the main two, about a dozen of which are inhabited. NZ also has a form of sovereignty or responsibility over Tokelau (a straightup territory like Guam to the US), the Cook Islands and Niue (same self governing status as Micronesia or Palau to the US).

Wiki has this map:

View attachment 565079

Whoever described it as "closer to Latin America" is stretching - Chatham Island is around 8300km from Chile, which is roughly the distance from Paris to Vladivostok.

The Pacific is really really really big

Outside the main two I can only think of 3 or 4 inhabited ones.

The Pacific is really, really big - which is why I interpreted that comment to mean exclusively that it was east-oriented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom