1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus 3: The Resurgence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by red_elk, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Maps make things confusing. Indonesia is a lot larger than the map shows, same with Africa. Russia is a lot smaller.

2. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

You're talking about particular map projections, of which the ubiquitous Mercator projection is notoriously inaccurate at displaying actual sizes as you get further from the equator. There are many other projections which do a better job, although all of them struggle at a certain point because it's inherently difficult to project a sphere to a 2d plane while maintaining accurate size and distance.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

4. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Mercatrix Citrorum Moderator

Canada is actually much larger than the figures in that link. Most charts don't include our Arctic islands for BS political reasons. If you include those, we are almost as big as Russia.

Source: My citizenship test.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  5. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

Maybe when the global warming intensities a bit more, Canada will have more fertile lands, then those Arctic islands will be counted.

6. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

I always thought you were Irish and now I'm very confused

GenMarshall likes this.
  7. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

She, like, migrated.

8. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

o, that makes sense. I did that too~

9. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Work is not the main problem. But rather that my ex GF just flew back to NL on Sunday, and that next week Thursday I have a friend from NL visiting. So for both cases I kinda need to know if I have it right now. If it's positive, then I'll also need to get tested again next week, to see if it's maybe gone already and my friend can come. Otherwise the flight will just go to waste.

I think I mentioned it in Amadeus' thread, but here in FR there are tons of biomedical test labs. You can't walk 5 meters without seeing one. So for me getting to a testing site was a lot easier than it'd be for you ^^. The stabbing into the brain isn't pleasant, but at least it's fast. Let's see when I have the results...

Hrothbern likes this.
  11. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Thoughts on the Russian vaccine being issued shortly? Japanese media is reporting that Russia says it has completed clinical trials, but that American media has questions about its safety.

Sorry, getting ready for work and no time to translate the full article!

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

The development time seems far too short.

13. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Well, Russia and the U.S. both had bioweapons research during the Cold War so it is conceivable that they would be towards the front of the line in these kinds of developments.

14. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I'd say that this doesn't compare well :lol:.
    Making sure that something is harmful is less complicated than making sure that something is save.
    I think most people have the same opinion as Tak, that it's way to fast. This gives some doubts about the safety of the whole thing. So not super enthusiastic about this.

15. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

It's impossible for it to have gone through a full set of safety testing in the time, so if they're deploying a vaccine candidate soon they've cut some pretty large corners there. No matter what resources you throw at the problem, you can't tell if something's going to cause long term problems without a long term trial. And indeed they have to have skipped any testing for for whether this produces lasting immunity..

Do they have something they intend to roll out? - Probably.
    Will it be effective against Covid? - Possibly in the short term, unknown in the long term.
    Will it have serious side effects? - Far more of a possibility that usual, given they're skipping much of the usual safety testing.

This kind of research isn't actually that useful for the current situation. Unless one of them has been sitting on an easily adaptable vaccine platform for coronavirus strains, it doesn't give any head start. And such a platform would be worth far more sold openly as a vaccine for common cold strains than as a weapon.

thetrooper likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Oh great, so if this Russian vaccine does cause problems that'll just give ammunition to the anti-vaxxers and we'll never hear the end of it from them.

17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Mobile test devices able to spot infected people in crowds...

Upscaling capacity could be an issue

Birdjaguar and The_J like this.
  18. red_elk

red_elk Deity

It has completed 2-nd stage of clinical trials. Mass production is not scheduled yet, there will be additional tests in Autumn.

The Vektor lab in Novosibirsk (the one which used to do bioweapon research) also testing their vaccine, but the one which everybody are talking about was made by another research institute in St. Petersburg.

Birdjaguar and The_J like this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Ok I know this is going to trigger some people here, but my wife sent this to me and I find it funny so I'm going to share it:

FB_IMG_1596685282243.jpg

20. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Would you eat M&Ms if one in a thousand are poisonous?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.