Coronavirus 3: The Resurgence

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pacific is really, really big - which is why I interpreted that comment to mean exclusively that it was east-oriented

Maps make things confusing. Indonesia is a lot larger than the map shows, same with Africa. Russia is a lot smaller.

Maps make things confusing. Indonesia is a lot larger than the map shows, same with Africa. Russia is a lot smaller.
You're talking about particular map projections, of which the ubiquitous Mercator projection is notoriously inaccurate at displaying actual sizes as you get further from the equator. There are many other projections which do a better job, although all of them struggle at a certain point because it's inherently difficult to project a sphere to a 2d plane while maintaining accurate size and distance.

Canada is actually much larger than the figures in that link. Most charts don't include our Arctic islands for BS political reasons. If you include those, we are almost as big as Russia.

Source: My citizenship test.

Canada is actually much larger than the figures in that link. Most charts don't include our Arctic islands for BS political reasons. If you include those, we are almost as big as Russia.

Maybe when the global warming intensities a bit more, Canada will have more fertile lands, then those Arctic islands will be counted.

I always thought you were Irish and now I'm very confused

If you have to meet other people because of your work I would get tested.

If not... whatever feels comfortable enough.
If I, almost isolated anyway, would have that cough, I would wait it out.... see what symptoms develop.
But if the test centre would be around the corner (it is in reality 45 minutes by bike) I would always go.

Work is not the main problem. But rather that my ex GF just flew back to NL on Sunday, and that next week Thursday I have a friend from NL visiting. So for both cases I kinda need to know if I have it right now. If it's positive, then I'll also need to get tested again next week, to see if it's maybe gone already and my friend can come. Otherwise the flight will just go to waste.

I think I mentioned it in Amadeus' thread, but here in FR there are tons of biomedical test labs. You can't walk 5 meters without seeing one. So for me getting to a testing site was a lot easier than it'd be for you ^^. The stabbing into the brain isn't pleasant, but at least it's fast. Let's see when I have the results...

The development time seems far too short.

I'd say that this doesn't compare well :lol:.
Making sure that something is harmful is less complicated than making sure that something is save.
I think most people have the same opinion as Tak, that it's way to fast. This gives some doubts about the safety of the whole thing. So not super enthusiastic about this.

Thoughts on the Russian vaccine being issued shortly? Japanese media is reporting that Russia says it has completed clinical trials, but that American media has questions about its safety.

It's impossible for it to have gone through a full set of safety testing in the time, so if they're deploying a vaccine candidate soon they've cut some pretty large corners there. No matter what resources you throw at the problem, you can't tell if something's going to cause long term problems without a long term trial. And indeed they have to have skipped any testing for for whether this produces lasting immunity..

Do they have something they intend to roll out? - Probably.
Will it be effective against Covid? - Possibly in the short term, unknown in the long term.
Will it have serious side effects? - Far more of a possibility that usual, given they're skipping much of the usual safety testing.

Well, Russia and the U.S. both had bioweapons research during the Cold War so it is conceivable that they would be towards the front of the line in these kinds of developments.

This kind of research isn't actually that useful for the current situation. Unless one of them has been sitting on an easily adaptable vaccine platform for coronavirus strains, it doesn't give any head start. And such a platform would be worth far more sold openly as a vaccine for common cold strains than as a weapon.

Do they have something they intend to roll out? - Probably.
Will it be effective against Covid? - Possibly in the short term, unknown in the long term.
Will it have serious side effects? - Far more of a possibility that usual, given they're skipping much of the usual safety testing

Oh great, so if this Russian vaccine does cause problems that'll just give ammunition to the anti-vaxxers and we'll never hear the end of it from them.

Mobile test devices able to spot infected people in crowds...

Upscaling capacity could be an issue

Dog nose finds coronavirus in sweat odor: University Gent participates in the training of the corona detection dog
Tracking dogs will soon be able to identify people infected with the coronavirus. In order to train the animals for this, the universities of Ghent and Liège now collect a lot of sweat samples. By the end of August, the corona detection dogs would be ready for use, for example in the entrance hall of an airport or at mass events as soon as they are allowed back in.

There has been a lot of discussion about corona testing: at first there weren't enough, then they weren't accurate enough or they were unpleasant and sometimes painful. But scattered dogs around the world are currently being trained to detect people with the coronavirus. They are already deployed in Dubai, and Professor Chris Callewaert of Ghent University is working with us to train the dogs. The training takes place in Bredene, West Flanders.

Sweat samples requested
In order to train the dogs, many sweat samples are needed, Professor Callewaert tells Radio 2 East Flanders: “To be able to detect people with the corona virus, the dogs must be trained with a certain odor profile. And we know that the coronavirus gives off a specific odor in the sweat. That is why we are now collecting as many sweat samples as possible. And we need people who are infected with the coronavirus, and others who do not have the virus. For that we need men and women of all ages. If we can determine how the smell of sweat is structured by infected people, dogs can pick up that smell.

Risk of contamination for dogs and humans is negligible.
Chris Callewaert, professor UGent
They first carefully considered in Ghent and Liège whether it is responsible to bring the dogs into contact with sweat from infected people, but the risks are minimal, says Professor Callewaert: “The corona virus is only spread through saliva and particles from the nose. , and not through the skin and sweat on the skin. If the virus is on the skin, it comes through a saliva or nose drop. We also only take a sweat barn, in which there is almost certainly no virus. We need the scent the virus gives to sweat. If we offer the sweat sample to the dog, there is a distance of 10 to 20 centimeters between the sample and the dog. So we saw no objection to get started. Even if a dog sniffs someone who is said to be infected, there is virtually no risk. The dog only comes up to the legs. And there are rare cases where the virus was found on a dog or cat. And that was usually because the owner was very sick and the pet had stroked a lot. "

The corona tracking dogs will not just roam the city, but will be especially efficient in places with a lot of people.

Festivals and airports
Mass events are not yet allowed, but once they do, the dogs can be very useful, says Callewaert: “If the dogs at the entrance sniff the people, they can get infected people out at an early stage. . And even though those dogs are very accurate, an extra test can then assure everyone whether or not there is an infection, and whether quarantine is needed. All in all, this is a little faster than waiting for someone to have symptoms and go to the doctor for a test, the result of which is still delayed. ”

Ghent University is currently looking for a large number of people who want to give up a sweat language, and some administrative steps are still needed. In the meantime, dogs are being trained in a training center in Bredene, West Flanders. Such training can be completed after a few days, or at most after a month. They hope to be able to use the dogs by the end of August.

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/0...ronavirus-in-zweetgeur-ugent-werkt-mee-aan-o/

Thoughts on the Russian vaccine being issued shortly? Japanese media is reporting that Russia says it has completed clinical trials, but that American media has questions about its safety.
It has completed 2-nd stage of clinical trials. Mass production is not scheduled yet, there will be additional tests in Autumn.

Well, Russia and the U.S. both had bioweapons research during the Cold War so it is conceivable that they would be towards the front of the line in these kinds of developments.
The Vektor lab in Novosibirsk (the one which used to do bioweapon research) also testing their vaccine, but the one which everybody are talking about was made by another research institute in St. Petersburg.

Ok I know this is going to trigger some people here, but my wife sent this to me and I find it funny so I'm going to share it:

FB_IMG_1596685282243.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom