1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus 3: The Resurgence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by red_elk, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Mercatrix Citrorum Moderator

All right, point taken. But on the flip side, what right do you have to infect me and endanger my life? What about my rights to health, security, and happiness? (Or whatever you Americans go on about and never really respect.)

Yes, masks are meant to protect other people from you, not the other way around. I will maintain that if everyone wears one it can drastically reduce the spread of the virus. We have the same problem with idiots in Canada. Screaming about their rights while attending huge parties, catching Covid and winding up in hospital, and I have to care for these morons, risking my own life.

Your rights end where mine start.

2. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

Some Chinese travelers might have played this role, they just didn't realized it until testing positive after the trips to Wuhan.

There are civil penalties applied for not wearing the seat belts during the car driving or smoking inside the certain public buildings.

Socrates99 likes this.
  3. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

The seat belt thing has come up by people trying to deploy the logic, but it's entirely pants on head. Masks protect other people, it's a social obligation in the truest sense, and one of the most appropriate. Sealt belts protect the wearer and barring stretch cases(not at all similar to slowing a contagion by 50%), nobody else. Making those mandatory is nanny flicking your genitals for your own good because they don't want to be inconvenienced with you possibly hurting yourself. Or possibly them missing out of your tax dollars, or some other stretched rationalization past "I know better for you, and you won't learn to make good easy decisions for yourself if I don't get to use force on you."

On a certain level, I guess if we're fine with people grabbing each other by the junk and squeezing for "their own good," it should follow that they'll be increasingly comfortable with draconian measures behind masks.

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Masks are uncomfortable. Much like wearing headphones to protect against the zombie virus:

5. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Best parallel I can think of is drink driving laws, a limitation on freedom to prevent unintended harm to others.

6. r16

r16 not deity

well , it appears (in today's news) there was this British research that supposedly says the death rate is one in seven , though that's like totally out of scale (unless it is some bragging about the military variant) and of course Qatar that says it is what , one in a thousand or ten thousand ?(Because they are the secret owners of New Turkey and they need relaxed rules for economic gain and well , those to catch it are more likely to be secular bunch , like very willing to oppose Qatar .)

7. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

That's much closer, yes.

El_Machinae likes this.
  8. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

My mask protects you, your mask protects me. It has dickie mcgeezacks to do with individualism.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Commodore, think of masks as the equivalent of the safety devices on firearms.

10. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

It will be a statistics thing, but treating an unmasked nose like an unholstered pistol isn't the worst analogy.

If you're in a society that treats a pistol in holster as different from a brandished pistol, then you'll understand the difference between a face wearing a mask and a face not wearing a mask.

11. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Well, I would say brandishing a gun is the lesser of these two evils. With a gun, it is unquestionably known that the gun is being handled by at least somebody.

This is more like a gun that you might have that you might not even know about, and you wouldn’t know if you were to brandish it anyway.

12. ShogunGrumpyBear

ShogunGrumpyBear Chieftain

I look at it like this like I mentioned in my other thread since I’m battling COVID despite precautions, you can be a good driver but only takes 1 idiot to run a red light and you’re cooked.

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

To the person seeing the unholstered gun, there's not enough information to know if there's a threat or not. I don't know if the gun is fake or empty. All I know is that the person could be holstering, but chooses not to be.

14. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I'm on the side of the debate that saves lives for no significant cost

stfoskey12 and IglooDude like this.
  15. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Norway has decided to stop all summer holidays to foreign countries.
    Norway has approx 5 million people and suffered so far Covid 256 deaths

The_J likes this.
  16. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Norway is ripe for a surge. That's the essence of the piece you posted.

El_Machinae likes this.
  17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

yes

We are here in NL over-ripe for a surge

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  18. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

0.2% of total pop confirmed.

New cases are happy vacationers returning from Spain and other countries labeled 'green' as of 15/7. Many of those countries are now labeled 'red'. There are also new cases from different cruise ships.

Hrothbern likes this.
  19. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

0.3% for NL. Yup, fasten your seatbelt. And NL is much more densely populated.

20. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

dense yes
    and most clusters are in in the radiusses of 30 km around Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The densest area of NL.
    The North-East-South periphery pretty much ok at much lower values.

Most of it so far homegrown complacency and not that much yet from returning holiday travellers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.