1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus 3: The Resurgence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by red_elk, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Sweden didn't get away with it. Proportionally they lost more than the USA.

If USA had Sweden's stats they would be up to 180k+ dead. Sweden's still taking an economic hit as well.

Sweden 10 million 5400 dead.
    NZ 5 million 22 dead.

Australia would be another good example. 20 million people just over 100 dead iirc.

I've got a friend in Sweden, she said it's fairly stupid and the vaunted Swedish healthcare isn't much better than here and she thought it's inferior to Australia where she lived for a decade.

Swedes got complacent they bought into their own BS. Norway and Finn's so far a bit smarter.

Sweden's probably done better getting it under control and will likely end up doing better than the USA. Eventually.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    The_J, Socrates99 and Berzerker like this.
  2. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

The only wise thing to do is to defeat the virus without "ifs". Assume no vaccine, and no lasting immunity. Strangle the virus out of existence by preventing its spread to new hosts. Easy enough to plan for (doesn't depend on any new technology to develop and test), possible to achieve, it has already been done in a number of countries. The sooner others join on the act the faster the problem is solved.

The governments that have gone down the path of "managing the virus" are only prolonging the problem with no end in sight. Even the excuse of "saving the economy" is totally idiotic: people can't produce and spend stuff at ease under these conditions. There is no going back to "normal" this way.

Socrates99 likes this.
  3. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

For those who can't wait for Hrothbern, throw 'memory t cells covid 19' into Google.

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

It's pretty clear that almost nowhere in the world is actually going for the elimination approach.

Hence why on an individual basis, given the costs of indefinite (or even "only" until vaccine might be available) management, if your government doesn't have a plan for elimination, it's not unreasonable to just immediately go back to normal.

Narz likes this.
  5. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and various Pacific states.

NZ wiped it out, all our current cases are imported.

Some of the Pacific Islands didn't get it. Japan might be able to wipe it out as well.

Vietnam has also done very well.

Australia almost got there but had flair ups in Melbourne.

6. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Had not heard that yet. Right-wingers here have been holding them up as the example of what we should've done and I hadn't heard it refuted yet. Thanks.

7. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Yep they're doing worse than USA proportionally.

Turns out their economy is also going down just like everywhere else.

USA has done almost double the testing per million than Sweden.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

8. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Not a shocker. We're open but sales are down 30% from last year. There's just enough people saying "nope, not worth it." out there.

9. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Yeah our economy is bouncing back faster than expected but it's running at 95% pre Covid.

200000 unemployed and climbing up from 140000 pre Covid.

Still in 1st wave of job losses. Next wave is when the subsidies run out, third wave us when the rest of the world's situation catches up (when their stimulus packages run out, they lose more jobs etc).

10. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Only Australia, New Zealand and Taiwan there qualify as real countries (as opposed to island micronations) that look to actually be eliminating it. Out of the whole world, they qualify as "almost nowhere".

South Korea has been pretty steady at double digits of new cases per day for months, Singapore at triple digits, Japan's been trending upwards for the past month. Vietnam's still having cases on a weekly basis. As long as it's within your contact tracing capacity, it makes pretty much no difference if you've got 1 or 1,000 cases a week, either way you need to keep restrictions in place to keep R<1.

That's not necessarily incongruous. One can be a proponent of fewer restrictions despite the cost in lives.

11. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

I was very much hoping for this to have been the case, but right now we’re back to where we were before the state of emergency was declared in April.

国内の感染確認、最多250人 累計2万人に迫る

National confirmed infections at 250 (most since state of emergency ended), cumulative total nears 20,000

国内では3日、新たに250人の新型コロナウイルス感染が確認され、緊急事態宣言解除後の最多を更新した。1日当たりの感染者が200人を超えたのは5月3日以来。累計は1万9285人。クルーズ船「ダイヤモンド・プリンセス」の乗客乗員を含めると1万9997人で、2万人に迫った。新たな死者の発表はなく、累計は990人。

Nationally as of July 3rd, 250 new coronavirus infections were confirmed, the most since the end of the state of emergency. The one-day total exceeding 200 infections is the first since May 3rd. Cumulative total 19,285. Including the passengers and crew of the cruise ship “Diamond Princess,” 19,997, close to 20,000. No new deaths were recorded, cumulative total 990.

このうち東京は124人で2日連続で100人を超えた。ほかに埼玉26人、千葉9人、神奈川24人、大阪11人、鹿児島30人など。一方、北海道では新たな感染確認はなく、感染報告がないのは4月6日以来。

Of the new infections recorded, 124 were in Tokyo, the second day in a row of over 100 new infections. Furthermore, 26 in Saitama, 9 in Chiba, 24 in Kanagawa, 11 in Osaka, 30 in Kagoshima, etc. However, no new infections were reported in Hokkaido, the first time since April 6th.
    Source: Kyodo News Agency

The_J likes this.
  12. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I was trying to be optimistic about Japan. There testing levels were low idk about now.

On another forum a poster from Japan keeps going on about how great it is. He posted a link to the safest countries in Asia Pacific. I think NZ was rated 5th, Aussie 4th and the top 3 were Korea, Singapore Japan iirc.

My list is a bit different lol. Vietnam looks good unless they're lying a lot.

13. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Vietnam and NZ are doing great. South Korea, Thailand and Taiwan is doing okay as far as I’m aware. australia also seems to be on track for elimination.

14. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

The positive rates are about 2%, I think? I don’t know much about it, but I thought that’s what statisticians claim is in line with sufficient testing numbers. The problem I would guess would be knowing who to test given the asymptomatic cases.

The Kagoshima 30 is a cluster from a “new half” revue theater. “New half” is the Japanese-made English that means MtF transsexuals.

I would guess they’re going by overall crime rate, which I think Japan is #2 after Singapore.

15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

amadeus likes this.
  16. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

17. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

18 I think. 0 community spread. We're getting 0-2 cases via returning kiwis.

Might have some undetected or Quarantine stuff up. They haven't found any yet.

18. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Why does it seem like so many are coming through the airports? Are people getting infected on planes, at the airports? It seems like a high proportion out of line with what one would expect from a general sample of the population.

19. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

It's where they're coming from. India, Pakistan, UK.

We're getting around a thousand returnees a week. The 20 or so cases are about two weeks worth.

Quarantine facilities are filling up they can only process about 250 a day theoretically. In practice it's lower.

No new cases today 4/7 days last week no cases.

All imported.

20. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

The number of confirmed cases in the UK dropped by 29,000 from June 29 to June 30. But that just means the actual total number of cases there is likely even farther from reality now. Otherwise the case fatality rate in the UK would be 15.5%.

The_J likes this.