1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by amadeus, Aug 10, 2020.

1. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Since February huh?.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

4. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

The virus spreading is expanding out quicker than 2 months ago, almost the entire south region is considered hot spot, Georgia is heating up exceptionally rapid -
    United States Map 08-09-2020.png

5. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

I'm back to translating some of the news here just to keep some activity.

新型コロナの政府対応「評価せず」66%…読売世論調査

読売新聞社が7~9日に実施した全国世論調査で、新型コロナウイルスを巡る政府のこれまでの対応を「評価しない」は66%(前回7月3~5日調査48%)に上昇し、同様の質問をした2月以降6回の調査で最も高くなった。「評価する」は最低の27%(同45%)。  安倍首相が新型コロナへの対応で指導力を発揮していると思わない人は78%に上った。

Yomiuri Poll: 66% "Disapprove" of Government Coronavirus Response

According to a nationwide public opinion poll conducted by the Yomiuri Shimbun Co. between the 7th-9th, the percentage of those disapproving of the government's handling of the coronavirus has climbed to 66% (previously 48% from a July 3rd-5th poll), the highest disapproval rate out of six public opinion polls conducted since February. The percentage approving of the government's response has dropped to its lowest level at 27% (down from 45%). The percentage of people saying they did not believe Prime Minister Abe has shown leadership in the coronavirus response has risen to 78%.

El_Machinae and Kyriakos like this.
  6. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

If the Japanese Prime Minister had to get 78% disapproval rating for +1,400 daily cases nationwide. U.S. President Trump should get 98% disapproval rating for having +50,000 daily cases.

ShogunGrumpyBear likes this.
  7. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I think a lot of Americans have just given up the idea of controlling it.

My nephew caught it at a summer camp. I remember my dad asking me if my oldest would want to go to camp with his cousin. I just kind of laughed at the idea of little kids sweating, eating communally and sleeping in bunks during a pandemic. The camp ended early with a couple counselors and a few kids infected.

Schools are starting up with a lot of precautions but sports seem to be continuing as normal. The football team is starting 2-a-days this week. Seems smart.

8. Kyriakos

Isn't this dangerous in Japan? Will someone commit seppuku? :eek:

9. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

Tokyo is 60 times safer than Miami, 30 times safer than Atlanta.

ShogunGrumpyBear and Kyriakos like this.
  10. Kyriakos

I mean being so unpopular ^_^

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

No funny thread title, booooo :thumbsdown:.

Apparently Norway has put France again on the list of countries, where quarantine is required https://www.thelocal.fr/20200806/norway-introduces-quarantine-for-swiss-arrivals (next to Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Monaco and Czech Republic).
    I have a friend who's visiting this week and is a bit worried. Numbers are indeed going up, also in my region. I hope this will not prevent me from flying next week myself :/ .

12. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

Other opinion polls show PM Abe’s support dropping to its lowest levels, but the LDP still has the most support of any of the parties here. There is a lack of effective opposition on both the right and the left, so it ends up being the LDP factions wrestling for control, which is why Japan tends to go through so many Prime Ministers.

I don’t see the humor in it. I make Khomeini look like Jerry Lewis.

That’s my joke.

Kyriakos likes this.
  13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Business Insider, 9 Aug 2020 - "Researchers studied 14 different types of masks to see which offered the most protection - and found neck fleeces might actually make things worse"

If you're shopping for a washable mask, neck fleeces are sometimes called "gaiters." Don't get one of those unless you're just virtue-signalling (and provided the people around you haven't read this article :p ). The advantage to cloth masks is that they're washable. You'd end up spending more on poly masks, in the long run, even the thin ones, than if you get 3-4 cloth masks and rotate them.

Personally, I think the thin poly masks are more comfortable than cloth masks, but ymmv. Polypropylene masks use a static charge to grab and hold particles, so if they get wet they lose a lot of their usefulness. The difference between an N95 or KN95 mask and the cheap, light-blue ones (sometimes called "surgical masks") is that the N95 masks have multiple layers and seal more tightly around your face. If you're primarily worried about your own health, an N95 or KN95 is what you want. Cloth masks and the thin poly masks are mainly about not expelling particles. I tried a KN95 when, ironically, the lighter masks were out of stock and the heavy one was all I could find, and found it too tight to be comfortable. If you're in a high-risk group or you're a medical service provider, I heard a while back that N95 masks are slightly better than KN95, but I don't know why or how big the difference is, so if it matters you should probably look into that.

Also, I don't think this article mentions that masks with valves are less useful for preventing the spread of viruses. The whole point to that valve is to allow you to expel your exhalations, after all. Those are for people working with materials that create (large) particles - carpenters or drywall installers - or someone who rides a bike in the city or off-road, where you might get dirt in your face. (And if you're working with something that creates microscopic particles or fumes, a simple cloth mask isn't what you want anyway, valve or not.)

El_Machinae and amadeus like this.
  14. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

@EgonSpengler, I’m not familiar with the mask choices in the West. I just get the basic ones from the drugstore that you always see when they show clips of Tokyo, etc. on the news.

I’ve never heard of a neck fleece.

El_Machinae likes this.
  15. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

A neck fleece or neck gaiter is mainly for Winter weather, as an alternative to a scarf for covering the lower half of your face. And some people who ride bicycles or motorcycles in the city or off-road might wear them to keep dirt & grit off their faces. They're not intended or designed to repel or filter fumes, mists or small particles. I actually haven't seen too many people wearing them as masks during the pandemic - I think they'd be much too hot, with our current Summer weather.

El_Machinae and amadeus like this.
  16. ShogunGrumpyBear

ShogunGrumpyBear Chieftain

Anyone knows a good spot where a American can go hide for the next 6 months to a year? If I know I can do it money wise I would :p.

17. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Another meme from the wife about mask ridiculousness:

Screenshot_20200810-152519.png

Attached Files:

18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

19. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Bandana helps! Told you. I'll keep it on.

20. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

:lol:

Come to think of it, I don't know what BSL (Biohazard Safety Level) Covid-19 gets. I think influenza, MERS and SARS are BL-3s. I'm not sure you need a positive-pressure suit for that. BL-4 is for smallpox, ebola, Marburg, the "rage" virus, the Andromeda Strain, Diet Coke, stuff like that.