1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by amadeus, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Are tests mandatory anywhere?

I'm doubtful I'd get tested in the case of symptoms and/or close contact with a confirmed positive case - the results are non-actionable for me and effectively only have large downsides for me, and very marginal upsides for anyone else.

2. amadeus

amadeus Large Marge sent me

For foreigners with a reentry permit on their residency card, two tests are required: one in their departing country within 72 hours of departure and then once again upon arrival in Japan.

3. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

School was set to open in two weeks but we received a text last night pushing it back to Sept 1st. On top of that it will be remote learning with live virtual classes. Apparently there was an open meeting where people could ask questions and express concerns and the consensus was that school was a bad idea.

It feels like we're on a ship with no rudder. It was obvious months ago that this wasn't getting better or even going away. Now they're making plans on the fly in August. I dont even know what to tell my boss because I dont know their school schedule and I'm going to have to work around it.

The most worrisome thing is that I'm struggling with teaching my 2nd grader to read. His older brother was miles ahead at this point. We had been hoping once he went back to school the teacher might either help better than we can or get him extra help if needed. I'm good at math and social studies but I'm really not good at teaching language arts.

The_J likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Hopefully your boss is understanding about all this. My daughter's school gave the option for online only learning or classroom learning. We picked the online option since they weren't going to let the kids socialize with their friends and they would decide on a day by day basis whether to even let kids in, so the online option just seemed like a no-brainer in terms of establishing a stable learning environment.

Sofista likes this.
  5. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I'm sure he will be. He's pretty laid back. I just hate the idea of dropping things on him last minute.

We had that option with school too. My older two have been stir crazy and missing their friends otherwise we might have taken the online option. Then there was that concern about my middle son's reading.

It's frustrating. It feels like the shutdown in the spring was all for nothing.

6. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Yes here if you enter the country. 14 days if quarantine and you have to get two tests.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I guess by "mandatory" I mean for any non-international-travellers. International travellers have to jump through all kinds of ridiculous hoops already.

8. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

About to find out. The 4 here are in isolation.

9. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

It's the safest this way which is much like the New York + New Jersey + Connecticut tri-state policies.

The new spreading progress video is out for the United States up to 5 millions -

10. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

11. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

It pretty much was. I suppose it stopped the hospitals from getting totally overwhelmed in Spring but this winter I think we will be going back to near total lockdowns. Not to defeat the 2nd wave, just to stop the 1st wave that we never really dealt with.
    And all because some politicians thought it would look good to reopen bars and nightclubs.

Still I suppose the good news is 1 country has worse excess death figures than the US (amongst developed countries), the UK.

Socrates99 likes this.
  12. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I think USA is number 4 per capita.

13. ShogunGrumpyBear

ShogunGrumpyBear Chieftain

Now in my county only certain people are getting tested. Some people aren't getting tested due to the increased demands.

14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

While arresting people for outdoor open air raves, which if supervised, would likely be safer.

My nearest pub has put a shower/sun shield roof on its car park over outdoor benches and tables.

15. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

So with every store requiring masks, it was a bit surprising to see restaurants allowing seating inside. So I reluctantly went with my parents since they were in town, figuring there would be spaced seating at least. Only one other table (an old couple) were in the restaurant at the time.

We were seated in the booth right next to them.

Kyriakos likes this.
  16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

The borders should have never opened to tourists here. Before that there were no new cases, now we have hundreds. Hopefully this will end when the tourists leave.

17. amadeus

amadeus Large Marge sent me

Hovering around 200/day for a while out of a prefectural population of 8,800,000.

Still staying inside my apartment minus work and shopping for essentials. Takeaway food being my one luxury (which I will also indulge in tonight.)

ShogunGrumpyBear likes this.
  18. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Norwegian curve is resembling what you'll see for the 'hammer and dance' concept. That's up until right now. The next two weeks will be crucial though as we have winessed an uptick in cases (parties, student gatherings, weddings, returning vacationers and cruise ships). Test, trace, isolate and support. That last sentence could be used as thread title.

19. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Who decided where you sit?

When I go to the cafe, I decide and select the remotest space.

ShogunGrumpyBear likes this.
  20. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Interesting, but I find statistics showing hospitalizations per capita or deaths per capita on a county-by-county basis (though including state lines) to be much more useful for judging policy effectiveness, since greater (or more to the point, lesser) availability of testing may skew the numbers counterintuitively, and bad policies can be ameliorated by very low population densities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.