1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by amadeus, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Some restaurants are like that, where you sit wherever and the waitress comes to your table when she notices you.

Many are 'please wait to be seated' where the waitress leads you to a table and you get your menus instantly.

ShogunGrumpyBear likes this.
  2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Even then you can normally ask for a spot unless they're all booked out.

3. ShogunGrumpyBear

ShogunGrumpyBear Chieftain

I hardly went out to eat, very rarely but when I did here is what I did. I usually tried to sit outside or if not, I would pick a place that was only open 5 days a week instead of all 7 (not to many) and go there whenever there "Monday" was so there would be 2 days of no one sitting at the tables before I would get there and I would make sure I get there right at opening time to, and not go back until the following week, same time, same general idea.

Birdjaguar, Socrates99 and Hrothbern like this.
  4. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

When my daughters "needed" desperately that haircut when this was allowed again.... and I knew that saying hm would not help... the compromise was that they would be the first on Monday.
    I arranged the same for my semi-demented aunt of 84.

Sofista and ShogunGrumpyBear like this.
  5. ShogunGrumpyBear

ShogunGrumpyBear Chieftain

Good idea!

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

I'm not nearing my 150th day of forced quarantine (add a previous week of voluntary isolation!) for nothing.

Today I ran into a friend while wandering the streets. We talked for a few minutes. It's the first time I've seen somebody other than my immediate family or a shopkeeper face-to-face.
    Official statistics from telephone surveys carried out by the local psychoanalist association indicate that 8 out of every 10 youths are showing symptoms of depression (not the full set, but individual ones) and outright (‘full’) depression has risen fourfold since this began.

God help us.

7. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

14 cases today, lots of stupid rumors and politicians being stupid. Not sure if the public will is there for lockdown 2.0.

Any positives are getting mandatory managed isolation though.

Problem is encourages people to hide it or not get tested.

Picked up 100 masks.

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Desperate poor people looking for a miricle cure
    At least the deaths from drinking bleach is only seven.

Birdjaguar, The_J and Socrates99 like this.
  9. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I wish that was just an Onion article.

EdmundIronside and The_J like this.
  10. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Sometimes one needs to be assertive, ignore the etiquette and say to the waitess:

Good Morning (or polite local equivalent) We are going to be sitting over there (pointing with hand and arm.)

I do not know what is happening in the UK:
    The number of deaths listed for the UK:
    appears to have declined to 41,329

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I dunno if this is because (a) they have been told that Ireland or wherever left the Empire in 192?,
    (b) they are negatively counting zombies unearthing themselves from church graveyards OR
    (c) have outsourced the counting to those now available optimistic Belarus election officals.

In any event it seems that India (with 47,274 dead) appear to have overtaken the
    UK in this awful macabre Coronavirus sponsored death race.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I was put in an uncomfortable situation yesterday. My nephew got the virus back in July at summer camp. He just finished quarantine during which he was in contact with my sister and niece.

My boys were supposed to spend the night at my parents this weekend and my mom mentioned something about my nephew being excited to see his cousins. I was kind of surprised because earlier in the week I had double checked to make sure my mom hadn't been in contact with my sister's family.

I asked if they'd been tested and she said "no, they were told that if they're symptom free after my nephew's quarantine is over they're fine." I told her the boys would stay home. It seems crazy to not test my sister and niece or at bare minimum to get a clean test for my nephew before exposing others.

Asymptomatic people are spreading it right? I mean this is why its everywhere now. Am I crazy?

12. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Yes

Yes

No

You are correct to be cautious.

Socrates99 likes this.
  13. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

It's not a quarantine if you're in contact with people.

Invite the nephew over, if he's symptom free, he's safe now.

There isn't much value to negative tests, the false-negative rate is too high.

14. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Very much so. Here in the greater metropolitan area of the patriotic motherland circulation of people is about 60%. In part because of precarious housing and in part because people live hand-to-mouth and they can't just not work. Add to it the fact that the government decided to release a few thousand inmates simply because they pay a percentage to them. Meanwhile, by unconstitutional presidential decree, having guests is now an imprisonable offence. So really what has happened is an economic massacre, widespread psychological damage, and also increased criminality. As they say, ‘the virus and the thieves circulate freely, honest people are jailed in their own homes’.

ShogunGrumpyBear and Samson like this.
  15. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I figure he's fine. It's my sister and niece I was wondering about.

16. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

And that makes sense. You not crazy, you're correct to be careful.

17. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Ireland was always listed seperately on worldometer. Click on 'UK' to get UK specific information. Under Aug 12 updates:

In other words, manipulating the numbers?

FriendlyFire and Kyriakos like this.
  18. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yeah, I got that, I'm just saying you can invite the nephew over to make your point to them.

19. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Remember when I said the situation in New Zealand wasn't really a stable, tenable solution in the long-term?

If you assume that they got unlucky and that they actually could have expected 16 months without any additional cases (e.g. a 1% weekly chance of an outbreak per 5m people), the numbers are just incredibly against the prospect of doing like they did as a long-term, large-scale solution. e.g. if you chunked the USA up into areas of 5 million population, locked everything down until the entire USA had zero cases, and then prohibited all movement between the 5m pop areas, you'd still expect a new outbreak on a near-weekly basis in the USA while maintaining those movement restrictions.

IglooDude and Samson like this.
  20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Does this "method" have any scientific merit? Why would only people who die just short of a month, and not later, after being tested positive, be counted as Covid deaths? One has to assume many can take longer to die, particularly if their body is still trying to fight for life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.