1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by amadeus, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Only England's total was changed. The other parts of the UK was already doing it this 'new' way.

Sure, some who recovered from Covid and then died of other causes may have been counted when they shouldn't have, but then there may be some that will now be excluded that should be included.
    I don't know, is 4 weeks on a ventilator happening? Are they retested for Covid during this 4 weeks if their condition is not improving?
    What of those sent home to isolate (didn't need ventilator when tested), how often are they retested (yes, I know 2 weeks assuming your feeling better, but what if symptoms aren't going away, still tested after 2 weeks?)
    And then there are those where Covid may not have been the primary cause of death, but contributed to it. Some countries count those, some don't. Within the UK they want all parts of it counting the same way.

EdmundIronside likes this.
  2. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

It's back. They detected a couple of cases outside Auckland.

3. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Keep testing and you can still squash it quickly if it happens. I'm hoping NZ will do it fast. If you have to stop a couple of weeks every three months of "normal life", it's still better that the alternative.

Crap :( Any idea how it got loose again? How was testing done during these months? Random samplings among the population, or was it suspended outside the borders?

4. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

They're not sure how it got in, probably a border failure.

They were doing around 3000 tests a day, yesterday they did 15000.

Most probably caught from someone dealing with qurantine. Apparently they weren't testing bus drivers etc who ferry the new arrivals around.

Bought some emergency supplies.

Spoiler Eep :
    IMG_20200814_151257.jpg

And 100 facemasks.

On the plus side all found cases are part of the same cluster.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Depends how much of a stop you have to do. My life has been effectively back to normal for months other than not being able to travel internationally. I'd rather large concerts, conferences, live sporting events, etc. indefinitely not happen over local non-essential retail being closed for a couple weeks every three months.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

I honestly thought it'd be a selection of pre-cooked gourmet sandwiches.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

That's not the current official stance.

Covid 19 coronavirus: Genomic tracing used to find source of latest outbreak

"Dunedin scientist Jemma Geoghegan says four Covid-19 cases at the centre of the latest outbreak in NZ - at this stage at least - do not seem to be linked to earlier cases in managed isolation or quarantine facilities."

Covid 19 coronavirus: Health Minister says there's 'no evidence' for Deputy Prime Minister's border breach claims

"Health Minister Chris Hipkins has poured cold water over Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters' claim the Covid-19 cases came from a border breach.
    Hipkins said this morning there was "no evidence" to support Peters' allegations."

8. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

It's official: tomorrow the umpteenth two-week extension of the temporary quarantine will be announced to turn this into a 165-day tribulation.
    The innovation is that they're speculating with not calling a quarantine because somehow this will make things better, so I think tuckerkao might have been hired as a consultant by our beloved government.

9. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

It's a new strain. Hasn't been lingering undetected.

One way or another most likely came from overseas.

12 more days of level lockdown for Auckland. Rest of country lvl 2.

Season two of Jacinda show

Spoiler S2 :
    IMG_20200814_173203.jpg

10. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

You forgot to buy Toilet Paper !
    I havent gone through all the supplies i stockpiled the last time, after doing inventory I went and topped it off again with more canned goods and rice
    Cases are slowing slightly in NSW but since some of them have unknown source we cannot be sure that there are a lot more undetected cases and then we will have a repeat of what happened in Victoria.

Things are getting a lot more tense here again, just walking around where I am the foot traffic has been down significantly again. Business had starting picking up again and come September government is going to roll back covid payments, this round of cuts isnt too bad but I suspect that this cant go on indefinitely

11. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

We still have a large pile from last time.

Have left over flour, yeast, hand sanitizer, paper towels, cleaning stuff, suger, cereal, canned goods and powdered milk.

Reasonably positive news day 3. That or Jacinda did a great job.

35:21 first 5 minutes or so.

12. amadeus

amadeus The Choice of a New Generation

Seems like New Zealand is handling it a lot more competently than, well, almost everywhere.

【速報】東京都で新たに389人感染確認、5日ぶり300人台
    新型コロナウイルスについて東京都では14日、新たに389人の感染が確認されていることが分かりました。新規感染者が300人を超えるのは5日ぶりです。

[FLASH] 389 New Confirmed Cases in Tokyo, 5 Days Since Last 300+
    On the 14th in Tokyo Metropolitan Pref., it has been learned a new 389 infections have been confirmed. This is the first day in 5 day ls the number has surpassed 300.

(Addition, not in article) Japan is still on the Obon holiday so there are some suspects that testing centers are running below normal capacity as some testing clinics may be closed.

innonimatu likes this.
  13. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

In our holiday period they doubled testing capacity and stockpiled millions of masks.

Panic buys stopped, shelves weren't stripped, masks are easy enough to get day 3.

Mistakes were made but hopefully won't be to major. We'll see.

Gonna try and wipe it out again. Round 2. Prevention seems cheaper, came in under budget (just over 2 billion) and they put aside 20 billion in reserve.

Wage subsidy extended. Mandatory qurantine for new cases, economy run at 80% pre Covid down from 95% currently.

14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Thank you. My eyes must have zombie scanned through that footnote.

15. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

I'm willing to bet Zard has been Enlightened, and doesn't need so much any more! :D

16. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Still using the stick from last time around.

We kinda forgot to buy more until last weekend.

Never really had the shortages or strip the shelves last time around. A few key things ran out (yeast, hand sanitizer).

Watched a prepper video in lockdown and starting rotating the food into normal life replacing it.

Quarantine room is still ready, more food in there and in a storage bin in the hallway.

Reminds me have to eat some cereal we bought in March or April.

Can't play D&D in level 2 alert though, that got cancelled. Not in lockdown here.

17. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Hope you'll be ok. Keep your milk powder dry!

18. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Used up some it's hard.
    You can make an ok hit chocolate and add some coffee or bake with it.

Not the best for breakfast. Still it was for emergency if Covid got really bad Italy style.

19. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

20. ShogunGrumpyBear

ShogunGrumpyBear Chieftain

What are mallow wheels? We got something here (in the US) called mallow cups.

This vaccine can't come soon enough, if it's effective that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.