Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Josu, Dec 10, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josu

Josu Emperor

2. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Feeling really sorry for all Americans that actually tried to fight against this ungodly mix of incompetence and negligence.

3. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Replying in the new thread

Persistence is certainly not something the european governments lack.

They persist in repeating the failed strategy of flipping between closing and opening stuff ever attempting a coherent effort to clear the virus. No lack of effort being put into this mismanagement of the thing!

4. r16

r16 not deity

subscription post . New Turkey is supposedly number 8 in world charts ... After making it explode for tourism business and never ending political rallies of the PM the official numbers were reportedly 550 000 , worldometer or whatever that site is called had a number of 800 + . And in a single day 800 000 or 1 200 000 "new" cases . Reportedly only because some vaccine group told them New Turkey's numbers were good and the free vaccine would go somewhere else . Or nobody wants Chinese one , so it is a scare tactic .

5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

Maybe China can use Uyghur vaccine/tactic in Turkey :p

6. Arwon

Arwon

Australia cancelled its University of Queensland vaccine candidate, others are more advanced and apparently it was triggering false positive HIV test results, which while harmless, is not something they need to deal with when there's other more advanced candidates.

7. Arwon

Arwon

Also yeah, virus is seemingly gone in Australia. It's been 44 days since the last unknown source case, and the last couple of quarantine-leak cases were contained very quickly.

8. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

This is a rather obvious question that must have been asked and answered already: I wonder how useful might those HIV antibodies be? Can someone have stumbled in an even mildly useful vaccine against HIV? A method of inducing blocking antibodies good enough to reduce the likelihood of successful infection?
    Work along that line has been ongoing for years, one of the troubles has been finding a good tarted to generate antibodies against... it would be beyond good if in the course of all this vaccine development somehow a solution was discovered.

Surely it can't be so. I keep being told by my government that we have to live with the virus, it's impossible to do anything but manage the "waves" until the saviour vaccine is applied.

Beware someday having Australia and a few other countries declared pariah states ruled by lying totalitarian governments who lie to their people and the world. It was the easy fix for the problem of Vietnam and China getting rid of the virus...

9. Arwon

Arwon

As it's being reported, it's just a false positive HIV reading returned in a basic test, which would be shown to be negative on a more comprehensive test. Not actual HIV antibodies or anything like that. They apparently used one of the proteins from HIV as a "molecular clamp".

Also yeah I'm enjoying all these experts in the Atlantic world implicitly declaring Australia to be not a "western" country in their pronouncements. Advocates of the Asian pivot would be pleased.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    hobbsyoyo, The_J and innonimatu like this.
  10. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I'm got a runny nose. Very annoying to worry/wonder about covid every time I feel the slightest bit off. My taste/smell is fine.

hobbsyoyo and El_Machinae like this.
  11. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Heh Australia per capita is one of the richest real countries (excluding petro states/ microstates).

If you could pick your birthplace Aussie would be in my short list.

As for nothing to be done only thing I can think of is neo liberialism carried way to far.

Even though doing things properly is cheaper than other approaches.

That leaves inability to admit you screwed up.

innonimatu likes this.
  12. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

New Wave this, pal! This is the one and only V-Rock!

(mandatory Vice City reference.bat activated)

Also, we formally passed the 40k death mark.

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Skulls for the skull throne?

The_J likes this.
  14. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

15. amadeus

amadeus Hey now!

Infections in Japan are on the rise even though the government came out and said this 3-week period is “make-or-break.” So far, break has an astounding lead. Still not comparable to most Western countries, but I wonder what the actual break point is for the government here and if/when they’ll step in again.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Numbers are rising again in France, so half of the restrictions which are supposed to be lifted coming Monday will be retained, and in addition we'll get again a nighttime curfew.
    Great :/

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

The director of the Russian Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority:
    To max the effect of the vaccin you should not drink alcohol starting two weeks before and stick with that with another six weeks

hobbsyoyo, The_J and red_elk like this.
  18. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Yeah, it's been a matter of jokes that she asked Russians not to drink on New Year.
    But as developer said, aside of usual negative effects of alcohol, it won't particularly reduce vaccine effectiveness.

Sofista, hobbsyoyo and Hrothbern like this.
  19. red_elk

red_elk Deity

AstraZeneca announced clinical trials of combined AZD1222+Sputnik V vaccine
    https://www.astrazeneca.ru/content/az-ru/media/news/2020/20201211-ru201.html

hobbsyoyo, Samson, Hrothbern and 2 others like this.
  20. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Per aspera ad AstraZeneca

hobbsyoyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.