1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Josu, Dec 10, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Global news: Catsplosion in Australia.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Not. Funny. In. The. Least.

If you two are going to joke about murdering cats, I'm out of here.

Kyriakos likes this.
  3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Hey, we only joke in the safety of knowing we aren't ever going to kill any cats :)

4. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Quite possibly the new strain in the UK (we don't seem to have agreed a name yet) is an offshoot of the mink-related one noticed earlier. According to the European Centre for Disease Control, the new strain has 17 mutations, 10 of them in the spike protein. In the spike protein three are deletions (at positions 69, 70 and 144), the other seven are substitutions. The deletions at position 69 and 70 are also present in the mink related strain, so a connection is plausible, although the substitution mutations are different between the two. Similar substitution mutations have also been noted in a strain from South Africa, in particular the N501Y mutation in the receptor binding surface.

This strain does seem to have picked up rather more mutations in a short space of time than you'd expect just from the typical mutation rate of the virus we've observed so far. Transfer to and from another animal species would be a possible explanation, although there are others.

Hrothbern and thetrooper like this.
  5. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Our RIVM will double the sequencing from 500 to 1,000 samples per week.
    So far two cases have been found in the Netherlands with the UK strain. One had been in the UK, the other not.

6. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Department of Conservation here also kills ferals.

Alot of NZ native birds can't fly so feral cats wreck the ecology as the birdlife has no defense's. They prey on penguin chicks. Lizards as well.

They use offshore islands that are predator free to create sanctuary's.

The Kiwi was endangered and Kakapo brought back from the brink of extinction.

Dexter's my little furbaby but he's very good at catching bird's.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  7. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Arwon likes this.
  8. Arwon

Arwon

I mean it's morbid, but feral cats are a massive problem killing millions of native animals, and need to be dealt with. And the fact that they give the poisons cute pun names, discussed in clinical detail by official sources, is nearly textbook dark comedy.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Same thing here but poisons a lot rarer. Traps and shooting same reason as Aussie. Fragile ecosystems.

10. Takhisis

What does Russian news report about Argentina? Because here we're getting a live coverage of the (twice?)-delayed national airline flight to be sent to fetch The Vaccine™ while at the same time we hear the government's quietly negotiating with Pfizer.

11. red_elk

red_elk Deity

They say 300,000 doses will be delivered to Argentina in next few days. But refer to Argentinian newspapers.

I don't know if this amount of vaccine is available. In Russia the only region where vaccination de-facto started is Moscow, and even here it's available only for certain categories of people, though it was broadened recently. People say the process is cumbersome, one vial contains doses for 5 people and must be used immediately after unfreezing. So, people have to wait until group of 5 is organized and then, wait 30 minutes after injection (I guess to check for allergy and stuff like that).

The_J likes this.
  12. Takhisis

Well, we'll have to wait and see.
    So far Argentine media report 257 new deaths today, quite a way up from the low that was under a hundred last week. :hammer2:

Also Mexico's reached a new record for daily contagion. :cringe:

13. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

14. red_elk

red_elk Deity

A guy wrote his impressions after being vaccinated. Nothing special, only appointment was early in the morning and he was very sleepy. So, after injection he was told to wait in the room, where he fell asleep on a coach. Was woken up by a nurse.

- You've lost consciousness??
    - Yeah. Sort of.

stfoskey12, The_J and hobbsyoyo like this.
  15. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

There's a new strain of the virus that is far more contagious than the first and just as deadly. Are the vaccines they are making now even protecting against it?

There are people dying from the bubonic plague to this day, which started back in the middle ages. It is nowhere near a given that this is ending any time soon, even with vaccinations. Especially with the world being far more interconnected now than in earlier periods of history.

16. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

How do you know if the new strain is more deadly?

17. red_elk

red_elk Deity

According to Ginzburg (director of Gamaleya research), vaccine should work against new strain.

18. uppi

uppi Deity

About this "70% more contagious" statement:

https://khub.net/documents/13593956...b-161f-2fd5-1030-32b6ab467896?t=1608470511452

I am not sure, what exactly they mean with "growth rate", but it is likely going to be a very poor measure for contagiousness, because other variants might not be growing at all or even declining.

The R0 value is a much better measure and if it is around 3 for the other variants, this would mean an increase of 15%-30%. Which is bad, but nowhere nearly as bad as a 70% increase would be.

stfoskey12, The_J and Hrothbern like this.
  19. Samson

Samson Deity

France has decided to allow truckers across the channel if they have a negative test, and are accepting the lateral flow test. Lateral flow means "soaking along a bit of filter paper", and is a technology most familiar in pregnancy tests. The data indicates it misses more than it catches:

20. Josu

Josu King

For first time in my life, I am not going to pass Xmas eve with my mother, brothers, sister, nephews and nieces due to social distancing
    It is a balanced decision, I know we have to do this, but I feel sad and dejected

stfoskey12, The_J, IglooDude and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.