Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my first shot of Sputnik-V. Everything went fine, took about an hour including doctor's examination, a bit of paperwork and 30 min observation period after a shot.
To make sure I won't die from allergic reaction or start turning into zombie or something like that.

It was originally planned that people will have a choice between vaccine variants, but we still have only one available.
In general vaccination is going slower than expected. About 1.5 millions of people got it, which is only 1% of population.

Got my first shot of Sputnik-V. Everything went fine, took about an hour including doctor's examination, a bit of paperwork and 30 min observation period after a shot.
To make sure I won't die from allergic reaction or start turning into zombie or something like that.

You are only supposed to start feeling a craving for brains the day after :lol:

It’s been about two days since my Covid vaccine and so far all I’ve noticed different is Siri’s voice has changed to Bill Gates without my permission. Bill has also given me directions to where I need to go straight to my brain, and has constantly interrupted my internal monologue on how boring my life is, claiming I am a waste of a good microchip. Prick.

It seems to me that the biggest risk is of a mutation that substantially
increases the death rate; that could result in lockdowns rolling into 2022/3.

Just in a more cautious timetable from the Dominic Raab

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/17/all-adults-uk-offered-coronavirus-vaccine-september

The vaccine solution path is a bet that the vaccine immunity will substantially and permanently reduce the death rate among the most vulnerable population. Not necessarily immunity but elimination of symptoms (including the outcome of death). But what if immunity is not long-lasting? We'll have to keep chasing the virus with vaccines. Unless transmission is also substantially reduced the virus will keep mutating and selecting for mutations that can evade the current vaccines.

It also does not address reports that even in healthy asymptomatic individuals the virus causes more damage than your typical cold. Will that produce cumulative and eventually debilitating damage?

Why are governments persisting in betting it all on such a risky strategy?

It’s been about two days since my Covid vaccine and so far all I’ve noticed different is Siri’s voice has changed to Bill Gates without my permission. Bill has also given me directions to where I need to go straight to my brain, and has constantly interrupted my internal monologue on how boring my life is, claiming I am a waste of a good microchip. Prick.
I feel overwhelming desire to praise our great country and glorious Putin. But I always do, so no major side effects so far.

Last edited:
erm, anyone knows at what temperature prteins start to denaturate
Proteins start to denature above about 41C.
It's about -21C in Moscow now, so stand outside and you should be Ok.

The vaccine solution path is a bet that the vaccine immunity will substantially and permanently reduce the death rate among the most vulnerable population. Not necessarily immunity but elimination of symptoms (including the outcome of death). But what if immunity is not long-lasting? We'll have to keep chasing the virus with vaccines.

I agree. I can see it being treated like flu with an annual booster tuned against the most recent variations.

Unless transmission is also substantially reduced the virus will keep mutating and
selecting for mutations that can evade the current vaccines.

Which is where we are with all the other preexisting variants of Coronavirus,
Adeno and Rhino viruses circulating that make up the common cold.

It also does not address reports that even in healthy asymptomatic individuals the virus causes
more damage than your typical cold. Will that produce cumulative and eventually debilitating damage?

Probably, but that is not unique to it. There is evidence that gum disease can cause nasty impacts elsewhere.

Why are governments persisting in betting it all on such a risky strategy?

Because they, following the scientists, do not believe that eradication is now possible.
And pending development and deployment of who knows what novel gene therapies
to harden the human genome, that won't happen in my lifetime; I think they are right.

Yes, there was a brief opportunity for containment and then eradication, as there was for preventing WW2;
but that has gone; and neither of us have time machines or can reload the planet from an earlier save state.

Last edited:
I feel overwhelming desire to praise our great country and glorious Putin. But I always do, so no major side effects so far.
So far you haven't had coronavirus and you always praise your great country and glorious Putin. Perhaps you've already been vaccinated without realising it?

Yeah, it was -23 tonight, to be precise. Refreshing!
41C predicted for Sunday here.
No need for vaccines: everything denatures and we emerge cleansed and ready for work on Monday.

New videos show Wuhan during earliest days of COVID outbreak

Video footage from Wuhan during the earliest days of the COVID-19 outbreak shows how the Chinese government could have done more to prevent the coronavirus from spreading, and its attempts to stop journalists from reporting on it.
In 3 Days that Stopped the World, two Chinese journalists, through undercover filming and diaries, reveal the almost overnight transformation of the city of 11 million people as nonchalance about the virus was replaced by panic and overcrowded hospitals within hours. The journalists’ names have been not been disclosed for their safety.
The exclusive footage, recorded between January 19 and January 22, 2020, has never been seen before. Unable to publish it inside China, the journalists gave it to Al Jazeera’s Investigative Unit, which smuggled it out of the country.
Yang Jun and Chen Wei, whose names have been anonymised for their protection, travelled to Wuhan days before the city went into a full lockdown, when the official number of cases was only in the low hundreds and the Chinese government was tight-lipped with the amount information it shared.
As the journalists moved between hospitals increasingly full of patients and the Huanan seafood market, regarded as the epicentre of the outbreak, they were stopped time and again by police and security guards.
There is an hour long documentary about this at 8pm tonight UTC.

Last edited:
Today I learned that we can get Chinese adenovirus-based vaccine in Russia, as part of clinical trials.
China has to make their trials in other countries, because they don't have enough cases to test anything in China.

Video footage from Wuhan during the earliest days of the COVID-19 outbreak shows how the Chinese government could have done more to prevent the coronavirus from spreading, and its attempts to stop journalists from reporting on it.
In 3 Days that Stopped the World, two Chinese journalists, through undercover filming and diaries, reveal the almost overnight transformation of the city of 11 million people as nonchalance about the virus was replaced by panic and overcrowded hospitals within hours. The journalists’ names have been not been disclosed for their safety.
The exclusive footage, recorded between January 19 and January 22, 2020, has never been seen before. Unable to publish it inside China, the journalists gave it to Al Jazeera’s Investigative Unit, which smuggled it out of the country.
Yang Jun and Chen Wei, whose names have been anonymised for their protection, travelled to Wuhan days before the city went into a full lockdown, when the official number of cases was only in the low hundreds and the Chinese government was tight-lipped with the amount information it shared.
As the journalists moved between hospitals increasingly full of patients and the Huanan seafood market, regarded as the epicentre of the outbreak, they were stopped time and again by police and security guards.

Freedom in the US includes allowing Buffalo Man to dispense medical advice during a pandemic without consequences if someone dies.
The CCP prefers to control their nation's Covid narrative and their Buffalo People. :)

OMG, Covid whistleblowers are being hunted down in the US too. USA is now exactly like Red China!

The state of Florida's former Covid-19 data manager was apparently arrested today.
Jones later called the raid a "sham" to retaliate against her for not altering the state's COVID-19 data.
This weekend on Twitter, Jones emphasized that the police found zero evidence during their raid to connect her to that message.

Florida data scientist in battle with state over Covid dashboard plans to turn herself in
Rebekah Jones, who helped develop Florida’s dashboard, alleged a warrant was made out for her arrest on a charge unrelated to a December raid on her home.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...tate-over-covid-dashboard-plans-turn-n1254544

Won’t really work with yearly adenoviral vector-based vaccines though.

The vector vaccines would, wouldn't they? We've not had experience with doing annual mRNA, but we can learn as we go. If there's a problem then it's back to the vectors. I've a feeling I've missed the point somehow.

This has just started. It is terrible, we had people downplaying the virus, and not wearing masks on public transport, in China in January 2020.

But it is interesting, the response to asking awkward questions of the police is to send the id of the journalist to the ministry to "check if they are real or fake".

Also, when a "Covid test" was a chest x-ray.

Last edited:
It's ironic that China is now being criticized for "wrong" measures during the pandemics.
So difficult to admit that we should in fact learn from them and from few other East Asian countries.

20210119_080751.png

NSW virus cases by cluster, showing how each one grew then took an average of about 3 weeks to be stamped out. They all take roughly the same time regardless of size because you have to isolate people, put it a lot of venue alerts, and track down missed cases, plus some incubation times are long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom