1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Josu, Dec 10, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

It is just an update on the "I have aids, and I am going to
    spit at you and give you aids" line that thugs have adopted.

If the police are wearing face masks that should provide
    a large degree of protections against being infected.

I find her special pleading tiresome.

2. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

She's quoting 150 officers across the whole force as having been on the receiving end of spitting attacks. It won't take many days of routine police work to rack up vastly more than 150 incidents requiring physical restraint or similarly up close contact.

Looking at your comment about "it wouldn't happen if they were following the guidelines" I really have to point out that it takes two to socially distance. I've had numerous occasions myself of people ignoring the guidelines and walking right up to me, often in queues or on transport where moving away is not a simple option. The idea that it's the police's fault for breaching social distancing guidelines conjures up the ridiculous image of the police having to constantly back up and run away to stay 2m from anyone who decides to be a pain by constantly getting closer or deciding that social distancing doesn't apply to them. That... isn't going to work in reality. At all.

It seems a pretty reasonable measure to move the rest of the emergency services up the vaccine priority list along with medical personnel.

Bamspeedy likes this.
  3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

But why not bus drivers or delivery drivers or shop workers or high risk groups like BAME populations or people in areas of high infection rates as well.
    Same as with the regulations and the tier system its best to keep it fairly simple and easily justifiable.

Samson likes this.
  4. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I don't doubt that many people have motives that are well-intentioned, heart-felt and sincere.
    But a major problem with individuals broadcasting information during serious events like the outbreak of disease, and that can
    cause panic in major cities, is that they are not in possession of all information that is relevant to the issue, and they do not take
    responsibility if things go awry.

For example, what do you think should happen to someone if they cause a panic-stricken evacuation that clogs roads and delays
    vehicles, materiel and personnel that are on their way to a stricken city?
    What if actions upset plans that are already in train for distribution of limited resources to more than one major city, something
    the "broadcaster" is not aware of when raising the alarm?
    Should they be criminally liable for any deaths or injuries?

China has a system that is abhorrent to you; an open, free system, where addled Buffalo Men dispense dangerous medical advice seems
    crazy to them. :)

5. Samson

Samson Deity

No, I do not think there should be any criminality it true broadcasting. The responsibility to avoid panic should be with the state, it should not have secrets from the people. The people should have "all information that is relevant to the issue", certainly when the issue is their health. This is obviously a different attitude from that in China.

6. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

The best laid plans of mice and men... :)

Australian Open: Players told not to feed mice while in Covid quarantine
    Australian Open players have been told not to feed mice at the quarantine hotel in Melbourne after one player complained of rodents in her room.
    Yulia Putintseva, the world number 28, swapped rooms after finding a mouse but said her new room is also infested.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/55730099

thetrooper likes this.
  7. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

The difference is just that police are obligated by their job to do what they're doing. Physical apprehensions of people that may include those that are not following pandemic guidance is literally a requirement for them, whereas the rest have some passive avoidance options. I'm not necessarily agreeing that they be at the front of the line (certainly frontline healthcare workers and nursing home residents should be there), but I am saying there's a reasonable justification for the "front-line police" to be up near there too.

MrCynical and Bamspeedy like this.
  8. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Is there any country where the State does not have secrets it keeps from people?
    Values are not absolute; they're relative to the economic, political, environmental, and social demands of the time and circumstances.
    They are also tradable and negotiable. Injunctions and embargos are a part of modern governance everywhere.
    The names of people involved in crimes and their victims are routinely suppressed. It's routine to trade one "press freedom" in a case for
    some other benefit - social, governmental, personal, financial etc.

Eventually, yes. But broadcasting incomplete information as a health crisis unfolds can also be incredibly risky.
    The danger of Covid was suppressed, underplayed, ignored and lied about in many other countries, eg Brazil, US, some African and Asian nations, the UK etc.
    The reasons for those were varied, and the press in those countries played along with one side or another. Maybe that's why so many countries are now in such desperate straits.

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I think it's important to see all of these discussions not as absolute.
    The representatives of the police will argue that police men should be vaccinated earlier, the bus drivers union the bus drivers, etc, and that's also their job and responsibility, to ensure the best for the people they're responsible for.
    They all have valid reasons in my opinion, and if either of them gets it slightly earlier than the others, that's all fine with me.
    So... this is an area to be a bit relaxed, as long as someone with valid reasons comes forward. And they all do.

Hrothbern, Bamspeedy and IglooDude like this.
  10. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Yeah, there are clearly many groups that need to be expedited. Cops, bus drivers, essential shop staff, teachers. I feel particularly sorry for the security guard outside the supermarket trying to enforce facemasks and limit numbers. Dealing with most of the same crap as the cops for minimum wage, while being the last line of defence for our access to sausages and wine.

Hrothbern, Sofista, Bamspeedy and 3 others like this.
  11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Just do what the Sophon protons dictate, it is for the general good.

12. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Argentinian president took the anti-imperialistic vaccine.
    Hungary approved Sputnik-V, the first in EU. Not sure Russia will be able to supply enough amount of it though.

I'm still alive after the first shot. Had 39.3C first night after it. Not terrible, but not great either.

13. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Not great not terrible is becoming the universal meme for these times.

stfoskey12, red_elk and thetrooper like this.
  14. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Nice to hear that you're ok @red_elk.

So, you had one night of fever and that's it?

red_elk likes this.
  15. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Yes, luckily it responded to ibuprofen very well. Next morning was hangover-like feeling, but by the evening everything was back to normal.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    stfoskey12, thetrooper and The_J like this.
  16. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

You're not supposed to drink!

17. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I'll become sober then. Not an option.

Samson likes this.
  18. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

39.3C is a bloody high fever for a vaccine reaction!

red_elk, EnglishEdward and Kyriakos like this.
  19. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Read that high fever may indicate that body already has immunity against the vector, so vaccine may be less effective. Don't know if it's true or not.
    Hence the second shot.

The_J likes this.
  20. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

In a race between getting the virus and having the vaccine, there will be ties.

So a significant number of people are inevitably going to coincidentally be
    getting the live virus at much the same time as they receive the vaccine.

There are anecdotal reports that this sometimes increases the impact,
    but I have not seen any proper scientific/statistical analysis on this point.

Matter complicated by there being several different types of vaccine about.

stfoskey12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.