1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Josu, Dec 10, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

The Guardian is reporting the same. It is hard to see how this can be an honest mistake.

Hrothbern likes this.
  2. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Some good news from Spain for a change: Apparently there is an experimental antitumour drug called Plitidepsin which has shown strong activity destroying coronavirus replication mechanism, several orders of magnitude more powerful than Remdesivir. Currently it is in phase 2 awaiting for phase 3 approval.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/01/22/science.abf4058

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Sofista, Samson, thetrooper and 2 others like this.
  3. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

The Argentine misgovernment promised that there would 4.7 million doses of the Holy Russian Vaccine™ by now but so far they've just managed to get in the shipment of the second half of the initial 300,000. Attempts to send in a second flight for a further 600,000 are… failing. For some reason the plane hasn't taken off yet but we're assured that it will, maybe today.

It's still a horrendous failure, but nothing other could have been expected from a government that specifically claims to have no plan.

4. r16

r16 not deity

hmm , ı should say pathetic or something , unless one can find issues with New Turkey flying 3 million doses of Chinese vaccine in one flight ; considering the echo chamber is not always unbiased and they were citing Pfizer's deliveries would be only 100 000 per plane .

5. Takhisis

^Don't mention Pfizer. The government refused to actually close the deal and later claimed that the evil Big Pharma company had asked to have land as collateral, because they wanted to establish the sovereign state of Pfizeria.

After the experience has been inflicted on friends I have learned that people are simply having all their cellphones tracked by number around the city and if you're detected to come from outside (numbers have area/region codes) then you're summonsed via SMS to have a test carried out on you.
    We have built a massive surveillance machine and it's not going away after this, I'm afraid.

of course you can turn a cellphone off or just not bring it, but who'd do such a thing?

Samson likes this.
  6. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

uh oh, Baseball HoFr Hank Aaron died recently at the age of 86. Turns out he got the Moderna vaccine 18 days earlier. They're saying he died of natural causes unrelated to the vaccine.

7. Takhisis

Argentine (pro-government, of course) Senator Mayans publicly states ‘in a pandemic, you have no rights’. FFS.

Samson likes this.
  8. r16

r16 not deity

this one is easy , one you can survive . Next one might be better engineered , so ı won't be like saying it is entirely wrong .

9. Sofista

Sofista Emperor

I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't turned to one of your great classics as a precautional method...

L-Eternauta.jpg

10. Takhisis

Well, of course I have the comics, but sadly the ‘Eternauta’ has been resignified as a party icon for Saint Nestor, founder of the new sect.

11. Chicken Pizza

Chicken Pizza Warlord

I'm sorry that I have no photo, I would've loved to take a nightly walk to the supermarket, but it's -21 C so I'd probably get a serious cold. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, the A-shaped ground sign outside says (badly translated) "according to swedish pandemic law, a maximum of 112 people may be inside at the same time".

I live in the small town of Sveg, and the most people they've had in the shop, all-time high record, is probably half of that :) During the busy hours when people get out of work, there's usually about 25 customers around.

And in the meantime people are dying. But what I really feel bad about, is those clowns that make a living trying to fit as many as possible in a car.

The_J likes this.
  12. Samson

Samson Deity

13. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Before concluding this is necessarily about racism, a more detailed study including other factors such as age or access to health infrastructures should be considered as well. We all know that social inequalities are brutal in the US.

I don't like this current trend in the US to consider that everything in life is about races. It feels like if Americans are forgetting we are all humans in the first place, not some kinds of sub-species. To me this is already a racist perception of Humanity and I don't want to live in such a world.

stfoskey12, innonimatu and The_J like this.
  14. Samson

Samson Deity

I am not quite sure how that would work. Would showing that white people are older or have better access to healthcare be an indication of LESS racism?

15. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

@Samson

My understanding of USA demographics is that the Hispanic and Black populations in the USA
    are statistically significantly younger than that of the White USA population.

If vaccination policies give preference to vulnerably elderly people, then surely that is invariably
    going to result in a higher vaccination rate for whites against age silent racial population percentages.

To determine if racial discrimination is occuring one would need to look at vaccinations per age group
    and see if the proportion of whites/blacks/hispanics vaccinated in each age group differed from their
    respective total racial proportions in that same age group, and undertake that analysis for each age group.

stfoskey12, innonimatu and The_J like this.
  16. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Which can totally be.
    If you vaccinate a big bunch of 80+ years old people, some are going to die after the vaccination. Just by chance :dunno:.
    (they need to pay attention IF there is a pattern though)

There seems to be some data missing, unless a ton of Asian people are getting vaccinated.
    It might also only be partially structural, since there is probably higher vaccine-hesitancy in the minority groups.

I just asked a friend living in Amsterdam if she has noticed the curfew riots. She says not really, but when she went to her BF yesterday, she took a bus full of policemen. The riots for a 9-4:30 curfew are really ridiculous o_O.

I also helped a friend yesterday to reply to his aunt, which had forwarded some fake vaccine news.
    And man... that's tough, even for me, who's in the field.
    One text can include things, which are actually correct, other things, which a normal person can easily confuse (I even had problems with a scientific article which is in my own field), some stuff, which people cannot directly check, because it's not their native language (like scientific articles or English news articles), and some things, which seem to be intentionally interpreted in the worst possible way. Plus some obvious nonsense (the government wants to kill us. Yeah... why do they actually want that, tell me?), and maliciously cut videos. That makes it really tough to dissect this stuff, because you can't say that everything is clearly wrong, because some stuff is not wrong, and much of it is not clear.
    It's actually really well made for fake news. You start to wonder who's manipulating there.

Took me 40 minutes to respond to everything yesterday. Man...

17. Sofista

Sofista Emperor

Oesterheld must be turning in his grave.
    Now that Quino's gone too, be vigilant and don't let them take Mafalda as well!

18. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Big problem in the UK if The Guardian's article is correct.

Covid vaccine: 72% of black people unlikely to have jab, UK survey finds

stfoskey12 and The_J like this.
  19. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I take the hard copy of New Scientist weekly and they have had articles pointing out that
    many drugs tested on a predominantly white sample base do not work as well on non whites.

I doubt that this applies to the covid vaccines, but I can understand people being suspicious.

The_J likes this.
  20. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Vaccination can be stressful enough for some 80+ old people to die.
    As the data from Norway and, ahem, my own experience shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.