Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not done the maths, but the wording of the report is very positive:
The wording is very positive, but without a control arm, or anything appropriate to compare it to, I do not think there is any maths to do. But it certainly seems positive, and somewhat balancing the news from Manaus.

How generous are the quarantine spaces in NZ? The big problem for Australia at the moment is the severe limitation on the number of quarantine spaces available, leaving many Australians stuck overseas (including my sister, who has just had her February flight cancelled, and has been told that she can be re-booked onto a May flight). Flights come to Australia with only a couple dozen people, because airlines only have a tiny weekly allocation. Last month when there were a handful of cases in Sydney and Melbourne and people were panicking about the 'new UK strain', quarantine places were cut in half which created even more difficulties. There are still flights going back and forth, but quarantine creates a huge bottleneck, with airlines having a tiny weekly allocation meaning they can only fit a couple dozen people no a flight.

Well according to the Guardian, Rita Ora has stolen your sister's quarantine slot:

the kangaroo
Government criticised for letting Rita Ora into Australia ahead of 40,000 stranded overseas

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...to-australia-ahead-of-40000-stranded-overseas

The wording is very positive, but without a control arm, or anything appropriate to compare it to, I do not think there is any maths to do. But it certainly seems positive, and somewhat balancing the news from Manaus.
I just came across a paper about Manaus:

in Manaus, Brazil, a study of blood donors indicated that 76% (95% CI 67–98) of the population had been infected with SARS-CoV-2 by October, 2020. The estimated SARS-CoV-2 attack rate in Manaus would be above the theoretical herd immunity threshold (67%), given a basic case reproduction number (R0) of 3.

In this context, the abrupt increase in the number of COVID-19 hospital admissions in Manaus during January, 2021 (3431 in Jan 1–19, 2021, vs 552 in Dec 1–19, 2020) is unexpected and of concern​

A question I would ask is; are the hospital admissions in Manaus purely for Covid19 or is
there in Manaus a co-travelling virus or bacteria arising from its near equatorial location.

I also wonder about the genetic component of the population there. If a large component
of that is of native American origins, they may, despite the winnowing impact of the various
"Conquistador" plagues, still be more vulnerable to common cold variants than the rest of us.

Last edited:
Slightly more lighthearted, not sure if this is more The Times or The Onion : Commission president gives AstraZeneca 1-star review on Amazon

“We ordered 300 million doses of this company’s COVID vaccine with the understanding we would have a certain number by now,” she wrote in a review of the AZD1222 vaccine. “It turns out priority was given to another country just because they placed their order a few months before we did.”

“When I called the customer service number, I was put on hold for ages,” she continued. “I finally spoke to a representative, but this individual was not helpful, and instead of making an effort to expedite delivery, he came up with a ridiculous excuse about production glitches.”

“Totally unprofessional,” she added. “It seems like this company has never dealt with a major vaccine rollout during a global pandemic before.”

Not all customers have given AstraZeneca such a negative review. One buyer form the UK named B. Johnson gave the company five stars and described the service as “impeccable,” noting that his orders were being fulfilled ahead of schedule and that he had received a free tote bag and pen with each dose.

As the AstraZeneca vaccine was not approved by the EU as at Wednesday 27 January 2021,
the number of doses that Ursula von Leyden could reasonable expect to have is zero(0).

As the AstraZeneca vaccine was not approved by the EU as at Wednesday 27 January 2021,
the number of doses that Ursula von Leyden could reasonable expect to have is zero(0).

It wasn't complaining about the amount it had, it was complaining about the amount AstraZenaca said it would be able to deliver in the first quarter of this year.

As far as I am concerned for that contract, the first quarter delivery does not start until approval that is 29 January 2021.

In any event if the Swedish company the EU chose to contract for cannot deliver from EU sites having been
contracted to deliver the Initial Europe Doses from sites in the European Union, that has nowt to do with the UK.

Last edited:
will we ever see a certain British Prime Minister gloating on how right he was in leaving the morally corrupt European Union ?

Apparently Aztrazeneca vaccine is not proven enough in older people, so it is not being used with older than 65 in Spain. Only Pzifer and Moderna.

On other order of things, I am watching a 2013 British series called Utopia about a global conspiracy to sterilize population using a 'vaccine' which is supposedly used to combat a false pandemy. The funny thing is that such vaccines really exist (for animals) and technically are very similar to the covid-19 ARN vaccines.
:shifty:

Last edited:
To slow the spread, focus on fresh air

As evidence has accumulated over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, scientific understanding about the virus has changed: the majority of transmissions occur as a result of infected people spewing large droplets and small particles called aerosols when they cough, talk or breathe. Surface transmission, although possible, is not thought to be a significant risk. That doesn’t mean that cleaning doorknobs and other surfaces is pointless, but it needn’t be a priority, scientists say. “Excessive attention on making surfaces pristine takes up limited time and resources that would be better spent on ventilation or the decontamination of the air that people breathe,” says engineer Linsey Marr, who studies airborne disease transmission.​

More economic news.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business...fell-to-4-point-9-percent-in-december-quarter

Unemployment fell instead of rising. The deficit also came in a lot smaller than expected.

Consumer spending was also higher than expected.

So yeah controlling Covid who would have thunk it.

Anyone who was not an idiot? Which excludes all the european governments! They have this idiocy pact together, something about open borders above everything, and every government trying the same approach to a problem. And persisting in that one approach because anything else is inconceivable (say your people that it's impossible).

Here the viruses get to enjoy the european freedoms to move and work wherever they wish!

To slow the spread, focus on fresh air

As evidence has accumulated over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, scientific understanding about the virus has changed: the majority of transmissions occur as a result of infected people spewing large droplets and small particles called aerosols when they cough, talk or breathe. Surface transmission, although possible, is not thought to be a significant risk. That doesn’t mean that cleaning doorknobs and other surfaces is pointless, but it needn’t be a priority, scientists say. “Excessive attention on making surfaces pristine takes up limited time and resources that would be better spent on ventilation or the decontamination of the air that people breathe,” says engineer Linsey Marr, who studies airborne disease transmission.​

It is an interesting phenomenon that people seem to be very reluctant to give up measures that did not work well in order to focus on something else. It is either piling up new measures on top of the existing ones or easing up on all of them, very seldom one measure gets abandoned in favor of another one.

Don't watch anything at the 17 minute mark.

Severe lack of freedoms due to lockdowns last year.

As you can see lots of suffering.

It is an interesting phenomenon that people seem to be very reluctant to give up measures that did not work well in order to focus on something else. It is either piling up new measures on top of the existing ones or easing up on all of them, very seldom one measure gets abandoned in favor of another one.

Honestly the extra attention to clean fomites is probably helping with other pathogens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom