Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloomberg calls Sputnik-V the Russia's biggest scientific breakthrough since the Soviet era.
There are two possible ways to interpret this...
Putin’s Once-Scorned Vaccine Now Favorite in Pandemic Fight

President Vladimir Putin’s announcement in August that Russia had cleared the world’s first Covid-19 vaccine for use before it even completed safety trials sparked skepticism worldwide. Now he may reap diplomatic dividends as Russia basks in arguably its biggest scientific breakthrough since the Soviet era.

Countries are lining up for supplies of Sputnik V after peer-reviewed results published in The Lancet medical journal this week showed the Russian vaccine protects against the deadly virus about as well as U.S. and European shots, and far more effectively than Chinese rivals.

At least 20 countries have approved the inoculation for use, including European Union member-state Hungary, while key markets such as Brazil and India are close to authorizing it. Now Russia is setting its sights on the prized EU market as the bloc struggles with its vaccination program amid supply shortages.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...d-vaccine-is-now-a-favorite-in-pandemic-fight

EU may approve it for usage this month. There is shortage of vaccines everywhere.
But Russia won't be able to deliver anything to EU next several months anyway. Except Hungary, which was hungry for doses and ordered it early.
IIRC Iran and Hungary already received first packages.

EU may approve it for usage this month. There is shortage of vaccines everywhere.
But Russia won't be able to deliver anything to EU next several months anyway. Except Hungary, which was hungry for doses and ordered it early.
IIRC Iran and Hungary already received first packages.

Production and distribution will be choke points everywhere. Maybe license it out idk.

Production and distribution will be choke points everywhere.
This is more or less the problem. We have several formulæ for vaccines which have acceptable effectiveness. Yet we have seen several manufacturers already state that they cannot produce them as fast as is needed and, worse, in places such as the one where I live, vaccines getting spoiled because politicisation of their use means they are handled by non-professional party hacks.

On other news, Bolivia's funeral and gravedigging sector collapses, and a study by Greenpeace shows that more land surface (edit: in Argentina) was deforested in 2020 with a pandemic on and Kirchnerism also on than in 2019 without either.

Last edited:
The point is that it makes no sense at all to have such a lockdown in this city. Nowhere else would you see a curfew at 18.00 when you only have 150 new cases in a city of 1,2 million people, it is sickening and couldn't be more clownish.
Not sure how people who live on their own are expected to go through such measures - and measures which are in no way needed.

2 days is stupid, but Melbourne went into a 3 month lockdown until the virus was completely gone which included a curfew, with comparable numbers. I think there were about 170 new cases in a city of 5 million the day it was declared. It peaked around 700 cases a day about a week or two afterwards, and about 800 people died over all. They did it because they'd lost control of it due to failings of test/trace/isolate, and used the time to fix the system so it worked as well as other states.

That said, I'm not sure about the efficacy of the curfew specifically. Closing everything people like to do at night should have achieved the same basic result.

Last edited:
Got second shot today. Quest is completed.
Reward is strange looking blue artifact "certificate of protection", +90% covid resistance.

Doctor asked whether I had any strong reactions to the first component.
Told her about fever, she said "This is fine, you may have it again after the second shot". She knows how to reassure people.

Yeah, so there was some discussion that doctors and scientists must be a bit more clear about these things.
You probably hear always in the news that there were no serious side effects in the trials. Which is true, but "serious" is defined differently there than what normal people would expect.
In a clinical trial, a "serious" side effect is anything, which leads to hospitalization, long-term/non-reversible damage or death. Everything else is not considered serious (from what I remember right now).
Medium to high fever is therefore not considered serious. Medium fever is actually kinda expected, since you're messing around with the immune system, and fever is a normal reaction to this.
Obviously a normal person will have a different opinion what is serious, especially if they get knocked out with high fever for a 2-3 days. For everyday life, this is a serious thing.
Doctors and scientists need to be more clear what they mean, and this needs to be spelt out with an adjusted vocabulary, for the normal person.

Reward is strange looking blue artifact "certificate of protection", +90% covid resistance.

Told her about fever, she said "This is fine, you may have it again after the second shot". She knows how to reassure people.

Sounds like my vet.

I kinda like the blunt approach though. Don't need it sugercoated.

When mum had cancer and we got the you're screwed speech it was reasonably straight.

You have knowledge of Cyrillic runes!
red_elk said:
So when is ingestion of alcohol to be reallowed?

That said, I'm not sure about the efficacy of the curfew specifically. Closing everything people like to do at night should have achieved the same basic result.

I don't know about Australia but here in southern Europe people are inventive and the climate allows for gatherings just about anywhere.

The curfews made sense. What does not make sense is using them without a proper goal in place. If the purpose of a curfew is just to get through this wave with the promise of another and another and another of course people will rebel: no one will accept to keep doing this forever.
National curfews are a tool for be deployed carefully and with a well defined and limited, definitive goal in place and well explained: to end the pandemic. Anything else is socially unsustainable.

Yeah, so there was some discussion that doctors and scientists must be a bit more clear about these things.
Technically they were clear, I was given a booklet explaining possible side effects and what to do if they happen.
On the other hand, last time I got fever this high was 8 years ago, so this still felt unexpected.

Doctor only asked for how many days I had it and took some notes.

You have knowledge of Cyrillic runes!
One guy asked "What do I have to do with this? Put it under the glass and hang it in my room?" :)

Covid tourism is not workable, nor economically viable.
Basically, it's risky and it's stupid. I realize that the tourist towns rely on outsiders, but with the isolation regulations now, it's hardly worthwhile going anywhere if you have to quarantine for 14 days.

Cruise ships are no longer allowed in Canadian ports unless they're local and have fewer than 100 passengers. Ferries are exempt (have to be, or some communities would be cut off, not to mention Vancouver Island).

Coming back to Canada by air? Be prepared to fork over $$$$ for a 3-day stay in a "quarantine hotel" - if you test negative after that, you can go home and do the other 11 days of isolation. If you test positive, you'd better be wealthy. The amount for those 3 days is said to be $2000. The news article wasn't certain if that was per couple or per person.

For some reason this doesn't apply to those returning by land... which prompted the snowbirds determined against all common sense to go to Florida, to have their vehicles shipped down there so they could return by land and not have to do the quarantine hotel thing.

The government is saying that they may include 'by land' returnees as well, later.

Honestly, while I realize the airline employees would be screwed if there were no passenger flights out of the country, it would just make sense to make everyone stay here who isn't an essential worker who has to cross the border.

Not sure how people who live on their own are expected to go through such measures
The politicians here are just starting to realize that some people who live alone actually don't have family nearby and loads of friends to run and fetch for them so they don't have to go anywhere. I'm allowed to socialize with TWO OTHER PEOPLE. Wow. Two whole people! And that's just because someone had a light bulb come on over their heads and realized that single/housebound people have mental health issues with being isolated, as well. If that light bulb hadn't come on, I would be allowed to socialize with zero people.

My in-person socializing with people who don't live here consists of the housekeeping helper twice a month and the pizza and grocery delivery people. Thank goodness Maddy is a sociable and affectionate cat.

That's the same thing which was tried here in the autumn, when cases were in the hundreds. Slow it by limiting socialization - that's the purpose of the curfews at night (aimed at the young) or weekends (aimed at extended family meetings).
This does have an effect, it does slow the spread, but that effect is undermined if there are other places of massive socialization that remain going at full steam - in here it was schools and universities, and all the attendant movement.
It's churches here. There are some pastors and others who keep insisting that their Charter rights are being violated by closing the churches.

Well, if they'd just obey the occupancy, masking, and social distancing rules, they could stay open. But they don't, so they get fined. Next thing, they're whining all over social media that their "freedom of religion" is getting trampled.

Actually, it isn't. They're free to follow any religion they want (or none). They just don't get a free pass to spread the virus, which couldn't care less what the reason is for all these wonderful new hosts to all be in the same place, making no effort to be careful.

The schools from junior high on up are online, mostly. Elementary schools are still open, and the teachers are not pleased at all with the education minister. She had nearly half a year in 2020 to figure out a way to accommodate more students in a safer way, yet did nothing... and then whined in August that she "didn't have enough time."

Properly planned an election can be reasonably safe. The people who will really have to worry will be the ones staffing the polls and counting the votes afterwards. Pick a day with clear sky and do the voting outdoors. If impossible then move indoors but in places very open to the air. Make sure that people do not have to go far to cast their votes. Set up easy 'vote by mail' for those in quarantine. You'll actually have to send people around to collect those votes from their address because quarantined people are not supposed to go post letters.

The staff involved should all be tested before and some 5 days after. And try to find younger people for this.
Do the voting outdoors? :dubious: Do you use paper ballots or some sort of electronic gadget that won't blow away? How would you ensure secrecy? Accessibility?

I used to work for Elections Canada as a Deputy Returning Officer, and honestly, it's hard enough to keep track of all those little pieces of paper when they're just sitting there on the table in front of you in an indoor location where there's no open window. Outside would be impossible.

Kinda gives a new meaning to the question of which candidate won in a close race and you can't find all the ballots: "The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind..." :crazyeye:

Basically, it's risky and it's stupid. I realize that the tourist towns rely on outsiders, but with the isolation regulations now, it's hardly worthwhile going anywhere if you have to quarantine for 14 days.

Honestly, while I realize the airline employees would be screwed if there were no passenger flights out of the country, it would just make sense to make everyone stay here who isn't an essential worker who has to cross the border.

Yes tourism is dead no matter how much the people involved can wish otherwise. It's dead for 20231 and if no proper effort at strangling this virus is done over the Summer it'll be dead in 2022 also. The bright ones in tourism ought to be leaving the denial phase and start to figure out that it's in their long-term best interest to this time use the Summer to get rid of the virus, instead of wasting it in another attempt at pretending we can have tourism.

Do the voting outdoors? :dubious: Do you use paper ballots or some sort of electronic gadget that won't blow away? How would you ensure secrecy? Accessibility?

I used to work for Elections Canada as a Deputy Returning Officer, and honestly, it's hard enough to keep track of all those little pieces of paper when they're just sitting there on the table in front of you in an indoor location where there's no open window. Outside would be impossible.

Kinda gives a new meaning to the question of which candidate won in a close race and you can't find all the ballots: "The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind..." :crazyeye:

Paper ballots exclusively. Last election here (past month) was set up within large buildings (it's Winter, though winters here are mild they can be wet) with all doors open, people entering one way and leaving another, and waiting outside. It could easily have been done outdoors if the weather permitted, just use a partial screen and if you're particularly worried about being spied by someone with binoculars shield the ballot with your body as you mark it :lol: physically the same setup as when voting indoors. In 45 years of democracy here not once did people complain about stolen votes or spying so it's not a worry. Everyone understands how the system works and that their vote gets counted and will be secret unless they themselves go out of the way to show it when voting! Which would be technically illegal but untested as no one bothers to.

There were some people raising the idea (again) of electronic voting or generalized voting by mail. Terrible ideas because those open the way to claims of fraud, as part of the process is moved outside open public scrutiny or depends on technically inaccessible details (to most participants). This time there was, exceptionally, a collection of votes days prior to the election day by teams going to addresses where people with covid were quarantined. Undesirable because these teams didn't include the full group of observers from the candidates, but necessary and it was such few votes that any attempted fraud there wouldn't change anything.
Some very few unlucky voters who got covid and quarantine between this collection and the election day didn't get to vote. If another election is done still within the epidemic era I guess that collection from the quarantined voters will be done after the election day rather than before, to close that gap.

There has been one recurrent problem with accessibility. Integrity of the voting process is the foremost concern so voters must show up personally. They can appoint one assistant if they're incapacitated to fill in the ballot themselves but still must show up (or be brought) in person at one of the available voting places. The exceptions are only those arrested (they vote in prison) and those in hospitals (they vote in the hospital). If you're bedridden at home though luck.

Even with the voting indoors I believe it was safe, at least in those places I saw or had reports about. The people I know who manned the voting places all day did not come out with the virus, even though the election was held when we had the worse rate of infections acknowledged in the world.

Last edited:
Tourism here might get some sort bailout and they want an Australian bubble.

Domestic tourism keeping some places afloat.

Tourism s low productivity anyway. Not the worst thing if it keels over for a bit.

Tourism s low productivity anyway. Not the worst thing if it keels over for a bit.

True and true! What tourism there will be will have to be internal to the country or group of countries that have defeated this pandemic. And tourism is indeed a provided of low-income jobs (or increasingly "gigs").

I've been for years infuriated at the governments of my country making tourism the one priority and failing to invest in or even sponsor and protect anything else in the national economy.

I believe that the Gov is going to review that this coming to end of March.
I fully expect additional cuts to the bailouts, but not complete ending of all payouts

What country sorry? IIRC Aussie?

Yeah, theres no avoiding a downturn, even with the full job keeper payments and loans there's been a significant downturn of the economy.
It cost $130 Bil in payouts but this is relatively cheap considering we might have ended up like a certain country (cough US cough). The payments definitely helped out many people get through this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom