Coronavirus: Free the Jab!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s that red thing for?

I get the disposable ones. Wear once, throw away. Spend about ¥1,000/month, that’s about $10 USD. Made in ROC! Good quality!
The round red thing is a valve, so much of the exhaled air is not filtered. It is not great for covid, it is designed for dust. I am convinced it is better than the disposable ones where most of the exhaled air just goes out round the edges. That one costs £4.

Last edited:
Vaccinated status is meaningless for excluding the virus, vaccines don't prevent infection. Tests on embarkation fail, it would require two or three successive tests 5 days apart to be certain that someone infected but not yet detectable didn't pass. If they took such tests during the ship's trip and they were all negative then it's ok. If not this is a mistake.

17 days on a ship with only fully vaccinated people, hell, if it was the zombie apocalypse, I'd trust that nobody there is infected.

This, and other such incidents have me wondering: is it possible to improve whatever tests there are? If there are, what’s the cost of doing so and why wouldn’t we already be doing it?

The tests are already pretty good, in what is possible in a sensible way (with high precision and accuracy).
It's just so that you can't detect, what's very hard to detect. If you pass by someone with an infection, and he passes on 100 viruses to you, which you ingest, and they start infecting you, there's no way that a test will be able to tell this a day afterwards. There is just not enough material to make any possible detection reliable :dunno:.

Another possible drug:

We screened a library of 1,900 clinically safe drugs against OC43, a human beta-coronavirus that causes the common cold and evaluated the top hits against SARS-CoV-2. Twenty drugs significantly inhibited replication of both viruses in vitro. Eight of these drugs inhibited the activity of the SARS-CoV-2 main protease, 3CLpro, with the most potent being masitinib, an orally bioavailable tyrosine kinase inhibitor. X-ray crystallography and biochemistry show that masitinib acts as a competitive inhibitor of 3CLpro. Mice infected with SARS-CoV-2 and then treated with masitinib showed >200-fold reduction in viral titers in the lungs and nose, as well as reduced lung inflammation. Masitinib was also effective in vitro against all tested variants of concern (B.1.1.7, B.1.351 and P.1).​

Do note this is very early, only in mice ATM.

The last bit there around the face and mouth shields say that they have no effectiveness at preventing small particles (do not stop aerosols)
I'm surprised the face shields are so ineffective at slowing spread. I'd have thought for sure that they'd slow droplet velocity a huge amount. If I'm within four feet of someone wearing a face shield, none of the vapour from breathing in cold air seems to get to my face.

The round red thing is a valve, so much of the exhaled air is not filtered. It is not great for covid, it is designed for dust. I am convinced it is better than the disposable ones where most of the exhaled air just goes out round the edges. That one costs £4.

Having a valve that released your vapor onto my bus basically means it's not really protecting me, right? I see these masks on my bus, and my only hope is that they're slowing droplet momentum.

Having a valve that released your vapor onto my bus basically means it's not really protecting me, right? I see these masks on my bus, and my only hope is that they're slowing droplet momentum.
The valve is definitely reducing the effectiveness. However, it seems to me that a lot less exhaled air is going through the value that escapes around the edge of the disposable ones, so overall I think it is better than most. Much lower environmental impact as well. If I was in a high risk area I would put a disposable one over it.

I use double-layer cloth ones, and I put in a disposable filter for when there will be an extended risk. I basically have to wash them every use, because I don't want my wet breathing to grow colonies of whatever microbes I'm cultivating by breathing onto cotton and walking around the city.

I definitely silently judge people who have the valves on their masks. And I will move away from them on the bus.

Transmission is essentially through aerosols, not really "ballistic" droplets. The droplets thing was one of the original stupidities, official misinformation, pushed upon people. Good masks filter at least a portion of the aerosols. Face shields are useless, and the simple surgical masks better than nothing but of little protection.

I like this design of mask, though without the valve would be better. Why so many use the ears as fixture points I do not know, the whole head is much better. I have one like this, and it has doe me the whole pandemic (was not new when it started).

That's a very good mask, FFP3, possibly the best you can get for your own protection. The valve is a problem for the "protect others" bit, but if you know you are covid-free and just don't want other complaining put a surgical mask on top. Will still be behaving better that most people going about.

Last edited:
Aerosol matters most of it is a contained atmosphere. Droplets deliver a bolus. They'll be different conditions, but yeah, I definitely wasn't aware that aerosols had become so dominant. I guess that's going to be a selection effect, since we're fighting the droplets so hard. I know this isn't the way you view it, but a large portion of what I deem to be be 'useful' involves slowing the spread through society.

Aerosol matters most of it is a contained atmosphere. Droplets deliver a bolus. They'll be different conditions, but yeah, I definitely wasn't aware that aerosols had become so dominant. I guess that's going to be a selection effect, since we're fighting the droplets so hard. I know this isn't the way you view it, but a large portion of what I deem to be be 'useful' involves slowing the spread through society.

It requires a long fight, over a year, for people in places o authority to start admitting they were wrong on the aerosols vs droplets thing.

I think they will also have to admit they were wrong on a number of other things, it's a matter of being forced to face reality, the failures from their decisions. So I haven't given up on seeing this virus finally eradicated.

The shoe currently falling are the breakthrough cases after infection or vaccination. Herd immunity being unobtainable, the options are to treat (effective treatments @Samson good that research is being done, but it seems oh so slowly...) or to eradicate.

Part of the slowness of changes of course is because those people responsible for the bad decisions not wanting to admit mistakes. Hence the gradual way the ground is prepared for a change of narrative in "respectable media". You can see the beginnings if that regarding the end-covid-with-vaccines plan, as in the link above.

Last edited:
Oh, I've never had hope on the virus going away. This is our test run, since we're just going to have manmade pandemics for the rest of our lives.

There's not much pain in that, I would welcome better built, more healthy buildings! But it would be almighty embarrassing to admit that some of the greenwashing (seal everything tight! energy efficiency!) was wrong. Kind of like with the UK pushing people to clad buildings and then demanding that the cladding be removed. Or replaced because greenwashing still remains a goal. On the greewashing thing I could go on, just look at the encouragement or worldwide tourism by the same people who pretend to worry about CO2 releases. Now upgraded to space tourism! But it's off-topic here.

Sudden policy changes expose those decision makers to accusations of incompetence, to losing elections or jobs, sacrificed as scapegoats. That's the pain they will rather let c(other people's) corpses pile on high than suffer. And even risk themselves joining the pile!
Could someone look at the virus spread in the cruise ships and keep pretending that it was through fomites? It keep spreading after people were in separate quarters. And this was early in the pandemic

Properly ventilating buildings is not so hard. Most buildings in use today are old, old enough that they predate the architectural idiocy from the late 20th century up to now. Many commercial buildings have been modified for greater density, partitioned, but with the big move to work from home they can be modified back to how they were. And newer ones were often made with easy re-partitioning in mind. Just throw out portions of the closed glass facades and install proper windows. Some others will have to be abandoned but there is a surplus of commercial space already, no big loss.
I think the delay in changing policy is really only because of not wanting to admit mistakes/lose face. Stupid things can go on for years because of that, the fable of the king without clothes was already about that.

Recent data show the 2 shot vaccines do much better against symptomatic delta than the 1 shot. Other than lingering pain at the injection site I haven't felt anything and given the better immune response from 2 shots I think its worth it in my case.

1 shot of Pfizer was 36% effective against symptomatic delta and 88% after the 2nd. I think the Moderna was 30% after 1 and 86% with the 2nd. J&J was ~68% originally but dropped significantly against delta.

It is finally confirmed that Russia's leaving us in the lurch.

The ideological blinkers worn by this government, according to their own insiders as reported by the local press, made them think that they were dealing with the Soviet Union rather than with post-Soviet Russia.
A Russia which, itself, even before signing the agreement, admitted that it was incapable of delivering on it. And a government that still refuses to show the full contract which the opposition (which it blames for all the deaths that have happened) claims contained a clause excluding the evil capitalists who later donated vaccines free of charge. Vaccines which remain locked up and undistributed. :wallbash:

Argentina threatens to cancel deal for Sputnik vaccine as Russia fails to deliver
Moscow owes 18.5m doses, leaving Argentina in a ‘very critical situation’ with only 12% fully vaccinated, leaked letter reveals

Argentina’s gamble on Sputnik V vaccine has left it in a “very critical situation” because of Russia’s failure to fulfill delivery commitments, according to an official letter to Moscow leaked on Thursday.

Russia owes Argentina 18.5m doses of its Sputnik V jab, over two-thirds of them vital second-component doses.

Only 12% of Argentinians are fully vaccinated so far, partly due to failed Sputnik deliveries of its second component. Another 37% have received only a single dose.

This compares disastrously with double-dose vaccination rates of over 60% in neighbouring Chile and Uruguay, countries that did not bet so heavily on the Russian vaccine.

Spoiler :
Its low two-dose vaccination rate leaves Argentina particularly exposed to the arrival of the Delta variant. Neighbouring Uruguay, meanwhile, has already approved moving to a three-dose regimen.

Argentina’s reliance on the Sputnik V vaccine was accentuated by a special vaccination law passed in October 2020 that effectively made it impossible for this country to import US vaccines such as Pfizer or Moderna. Argentina has relied instead on a mix of Sputnik, Sinopharm and AstraZeneca shots.

The lack of Sputnik’s second component, which has left some 6 million Argentinians with just the first Russian jab, has become a charged political issue in the run-up to midterm elections here this November.

The political uproar left the government of the Peronist president, Alberto Fernández, little choice but to threaten to end Argentina’s contract with Russia.

“You are leaving us very little options to continue fighting for you and this project,” says the letter from the presidential Covid adviser Ceclia Nicolini to the Russian Direct Investment Fund, which markets Sputnik V worldwide.

The letter said Argentina “urgently” needed delivery of second doses and warned that “the entire contract is at risk of being publicly cancelled.”

Pressure from the centre-right opposition party Juntos (Together) recently forced Fernández to change last year’s vaccine law to accommodate the donation of Moderna and Pfizer vaccines from the US, a fact that was underlined in the letter to Moscow.

“We just issued a presidential decree that allows us to sign contracts with American companies and receive donations from the US,” says the letter which was leaked to the daily La Nación.

Argentina is meanwhile testing mixing vaccines to replace the second dose that Sputnik has failed to deliver.

Argentina is not alone in having problems with Russia’s vaccine. Other countries have terminated or reviewed their contracts to purchase Sputnik V amid reports of delayed shipments from Russia – and allegations that a royal middleman from the United Arab Emirates used exclusive resale rights for Sputnik V to charge large mark-ups across three continents.

Ghana’s health minister last week announced that his country had cancelled its Sputnik V contract with the Dubai-based middleman after he said he had been told that the supplier had “run out of stock and that they are waiting on the manufacturer to supply them.”

The middleman scheme was first revealed by the Moscow Times, which found in an investigation that Russia had awarded exclusive resale rights for Sputnik V to a minor Emirati royal.

Earlier this year, Kenya blocked the use of 75,000 Sputnik V jabs provided via the Emirati firm because of concerns that they had not come directly from the manufacturer in Russia.

Meanwhile Señor Takhisis completed the application process for one vaccine. As is logical, instead of the neighbourhood vaccination centre that is within waking distance he was sent to the second-most distant centre available, which included nearly four hours of travel time. Which is compeltely antithetical to the whole point of imposing roadblocks and getting people to lose their jobs simply because they cannot get to them, which was to stop mingling and dispersion.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

Kind of a mess worldwide if you filter by "Authorized".

By my count, of the 19 vaccines, 5 of them have phase 3 results (the ones we get in wealthy countries), 3 of them have no published results (Chinese vaccines where they presumably have results but aren't making them public) and 11 of them are authorized/in use without bothering with even interim phase 3 results, some of which haven't even started phase 3 trials.

Putin's press-secretary said Russia will be "gradually fulfilling" obligations for delivery, because vaccination of Russian citizens is a first priority.
Who would have known in advance that we may suddenly require vaccine for ourselves, in the midst of global pandemics??

DeSantis vows no lockdowns as Florida Covid cases surge
The American Academy of Pediatricians earlier this week recommended that all students two or older
and school staff wear masks.

“We’re not doing that in Florida. Ok? We need our kids to breathe,” said DeSantis during a press
conference in Fort Pierce to acknowledge the signing of a bill that creates a statewide book
distribution program. “Is it really healthy for them to be muzzled and having their breathing
obstructed all day long in school? I don’t think it is.”
More than 38,000 Floridians have died since the start of the pandemic.

https://www.politico.com/states/flo...covid-mandates-as-florida-cases-surge-1388876

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom