Coronavirus, now treatable with ForXthia!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you and everybody else gets vaccinated. We have the tools, it just requires implementation. And the longer the world drags its feet, the more likely for a mutation to arise, since mutations arise from reproduction over time. Greece still has a poor vaccination rate, not having got even 70% of adults vaccinated yet.

For Australia, I think we are about to have it beat.

Current numbers

First Dose
ACT 99%
NSW at 93%
Victoria at 90.8%

The second Dose gap will catch up to the second, while NSW and Victoria's rates will rise a bit more. Then vaccines for children will be rolled out, and the pandemic will be done here in Southeastern Australia. The other states will hopefully rise to match, and Australia will be out of the pandemic.

However, Eastern Europe seems to be suffering, right now with COVID, yet vaccination rates remain stubbornly almost stuck. Just like the Red States of the US. Most of Western Europe is solid vaccination-wise and will be shored up by vaccinations for kids.

DW is interesting.

is so useful: that would be this post of yours? Notice who didn't comment on it: me. I was ignoring you, which I must consider again wise to do rather than waste my time with further replies.
Or it might have been one of your numerous anti-argentinian-government rants of numerous issues reported, where I did recall saying that you kept repeating the same tiresome assortment of half-baked claims. I don't keep track any more.
I'm a bit lost now. So you're advocating for governments now?

"Recent trend in daily deaths, displayed as a percentage of last winter's peak level."

That's deceptive of course - last winter Western Europe was hit harder than the East as I remember, so it makes sense for them to be in the red now...

Any estimates as to when covid will be under control?
Or is this a perpetual "2 years down the line" thing.

What do you mean by under control

The NIH letter does spell out that the Wuhan institute did modify at least one bat coronavirus (WIV1) by replacing the spike protein with sequences from other known coronaviruses. They were then investigating binding of this modified virus in a mouse model expressing the human ACE2 protein to study if the spike proteins could bind to ACE2 (also some unspecified other cell lines). And they found that this modified virus resulted in far more serious symptoms in the mice.

Thank you.

Some bodies will use that evidence to win a lawsuit for trillions against the Chinese institutions.

The Chinese government will simply refuse to pay.

And then the US government will seek to impose embargos, quotas and above all high tariffs to recover those trillions.

Well China's gonna have their own problems starting around about now.

The Chinese government will simply refuse to pay.

Which they would be right to do because the NIH letter is being misreported massively.

https://twitter.com/magi_jay/status/1452315130432270337

This is not what happened and it is very disappointing to see the mainstream media amplifying a GOP red herring that is *only* intended to discredit Fauci. The real issue here is that EcoHealth did not report their findings to NIH. Not that NIH funded the original proposal.

EcoHealth should absolutely be under the spotlight here for not reporting their findings. Re: NIH, we can ask questions about how they enforce data reporting. Further, the reporting on this case should make clear in headlines & tweets that none of this has to do w/ COV19.

Basically, the researchers created a chimera, such that they combined the spike protein from a bat virus w/ a mouse virus that they injected into mice, some of which were humanized. This research plan is not, in & of itself, "Gain of Function," per NIH's definition.

The issue here is that EcoHealth didn't report the totality of their findings to NIH, which is a problem & why NIH is now demanding answers from the researchers.

But research using viral chimeras in general is NOT bizarre in virology. It's a primary tool to study how viruses infect cells & especially zoonotic transfer. Modifying one virus is not, in and of itself, a "risky" outlier in virology.

In fact, if we didn't have viral chimera research, we might not have known as much as we did about how SARS-COV2 infected human cells. But researchers *had* done work on spike proteins & so were already ahead of the game on vaccine work in early 2020.

It's also the height of irresponsibility for Vanity Fair to end their article w/ a quote from a known lab-leak pusher. Additionally, reporters should start w/ the premise that we know this is a right-wing attack meant to play on scientific illiteracy & sow distrust in science.

Journalists can still report on the issue, but they don't need to pretend the clear partisanship doesn't exist. They should also do a deeper dive into the science, as well as NIH protocols. If they did so, they would find that chimeras themselves are not unusual.

How do people think scientists figure out if a virus could infect a human? They often combine aspects of that virus w/ a mouse virus & then inject it into humanized mice. What would you rather scientists do? Just inject humans w/ the non-chimera & see what happens next?

Also even if we accept the premise, that China messed up and it got out. Okay and? Accidents happen. If damage to another country becomes a standard for claims, well the UK has caused far more damage, on purpose around the world.

Accidents happen, but negligence usually results in civil liability.

So when is the UK going to repay China for the Opium war?

Or India. Not just for colonisation, but is a disease count, the UK war effort brought the Spanish Flu to India, and British misrule made it hit India, per capita way harder than most of the globe.

Or India. Not just for colonisation, but is a disease count, the UK war effort brought the Spanish Flu to India, and British misrule made it hit India, per capita way harder than most of the globe.

UK would be paying that debt for decades lol.

Most colonization cost more money than it brought in. India was the exception.

Once India left the Empire became pointless.

This is called "whataboutism".

And comparing the inadvertent transmission of naturally evolved diseases at a time prior to the discovery of DNA
with the creation and careless release of a deliberately genetically engineered virus version is hardly apples and pears.

UK would be paying that debt for decades lol.

Most colonization cost more money than it brought in. India was the exception.

Once India left the Empire became pointless.

You don't get out of getting punished for a crime, just because you didn't make money. And the state not making money doesn't mean much, since private individuals made bank, who controlled the state and form the general wealth of the state. Lots of the current British elite are part of families who had a direct hand in colonies.

And comparing the inadvertent transmission of naturally evolved diseases at a time prior to the discovery of DNA
with the creation and careless release of a deliberately genetically engineered virus version is hardly apples and pears.

Which you haven't proved, or engaged with the substance of my post, re the NIH Letter that is being grossly misrepresented by journalists who don't understand science.

Also, we are supposed to punish China for incompetence, when they have had fewer raw deaths than most countries, despite having a Billion People, and being the first ones hit. The UK had a lead time and then flubbed it. You guys have a worse double dose vaccination rate than my state, despite having it longer and having way more covid deaths.

And there were public health measures that were in use well before DNA that the British authorities in India didn't implement. Plus tons of other horsehocky, like artificial famines, destroying Bengal Proto Industry, entrenching the caste system, mass improvishing. British colonisation was malicious, and did far more damage than COVID.

No it's not, it's discussing standards in enforcing reparations, otherwise you'd just handing China an excuse to point out the same hypocrisy. Why would China feel obliged to do anything? Out of the kindness of their hearts? When the general stance is that nobody else does?

Which you haven't proved, or engaged with the substance of my post, re the NIH Letter that is being grossly misrepresented by journalists

It is not for me or other posters to prove anything as a requirement for posting.

I am not concerned with the internal politics of the USA regarding the letter nor
with the particular definition for 'gain of function' some US organisation chose.

The probability the virus was developed in the laboratory was discussed in New Scientist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom