Corrupted Save Games

Oddible

signal / noise > 1
I'm having a problem of my saved games getting corrupted, both autos and manual saves. I reported the problem here a month ago when I was getting a Memory Allocation Failure when I tried to load a save, now at some point my save games are just giving an unknown error when I try to load them.

I've attached a game with the problem BTS 3.19, BAT 2.3

After I received the problem the first time, I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire app, Vanilla, BTS, BAT. I've played several games without a problem since then but this keeps coming up. It is very frustrating to put several hours into a game and then not be able to load the save. I don't even know if this is a BAT issue - any clues that you can give me to figure this out would be very helpful.

Are other folks able to load the save? It the file corrupted or is it my system?

I have the correct info in my BAT Mod 2.3.ini [CONFIG] section per your prior recommendations. I've also attached my xml log and my Python log.

Attachments

• Oy AD-0160.CivBeyondSwordSave
    213.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Logs.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 58
I had the same problem as you and I switched to Better Bug AI and all works fine now, it's some BAT related problem.

it's some BAT related problem.
Nope, sorry. Oddible's problem isn't BAT related. Yours may have been, but I doubt it.

Oddible's problem is a file location issue, and I suspect yours was, too. I loaded the save with my clean copy of BAT 2.3, and the game is looking for file locations that it can't find. His save game is trying to locate some parameters in folders outside of BAT. BAT is normally self contained, with the Info, Gamesetupcheck, etc., folders under the BAT Mod 2.3 folder. Oddible's save is looking for those folders outside of the BAT folder.

His save wouldn't load on my machine, and to verify, I loaded a number of BAT 2.3 saves of my own, which did work fine.

@ Oddible:

How exactly did you install BAT? Did you use the installer? Or did you use the zip file? In the Python logs as well, the game fails when loading the "encodings.ascii" module. Do you have any non English alphabet letters in your user name? As mentioned, I can't get the file to load. It fails while putting a unit, graphic, or event sign on the map, and it might be a character encoding issue. Have you added any extra mods to BAT. Have you tweaked any of the XML? Something is different about your copy, but I can't find what from the error logs.

Please let me know any other details if you can.

Thank you

I used the installer. Standard install. No extended ascii in my username (no accents, etc, just straight up letters). This was a fresh clean install. I had uninstalled and deleted all Civ folders prior to this. Installed CivIV Vanilla, installed BTS, then installed BAT with the installer.

The stranger thing is that this doesn't happen to every save. In fact, in this exact game, I went back 3 autosaves and played through. Prior and subsequent saves worked fine. So it was just this period that didn't work. I had played 2 prior games on this clean install that worked without any problems.

I'm wondering if there is some great leader that has some character in his name that is failing? When that unit gets used then it saves fine after that?

The question regarding file locations is odd - since this was a clean setup using installers.

Thanks a lot for looking at this.

The stranger thing is that this doesn't happen to every save. In fact, in this exact game, I went back 3 autosaves and played through. Prior and subsequent saves worked fine. So it was just this period that didn't work. I had played 2 prior games on this clean install that worked without any problems.

I'm wondering if there is some great leader that has some character in his name that is failing? When that unit gets used then it saves fine after that?
Would you mind uploading one of the saves that did work, please? I would like to compare the logs when I load it. :)

There is always the possibility that something in the XML is amiss. The original version of 2.1 had some errors in it that messed up save games, and that was due to a building graphic XML error in the Varietas Delectat version of Cultural Citystyles. Perhaps there is a leftover hiccup that made it's way into 2.3 without myself, Geomodder, or Avain catching it. It must be something that hinges on a few variables because only you and Millansoft (to my knowledge) have reported a problem like this.

Geo and Avain have taken great pains to correct any outstanding issues with the latest version of VD, and that component will be in the next major release of BAT, due out soon. It was to be out last week, but I caught a game altering (maybe game breaking) error introduced by one of the new components I have added, and I'm currently fixing it.

We can't have our many fans playing a BAT mod with errors in it if we can fix them ahead of time, now can we? :)

Glad to know that soon we will have a new version, about the problem I though it was BAT related because is with the only Mod I had this problem as Oddible, so I have to think that my system and Civ installation is fine, but maybe of course, I'm doing something wrong, by the way, I know that you already answered it, but if a new version is coming, remember to check if you can, that if you add a modular Spanish leader it doesn't appears, maybe you find something wrong before the release :)

I've attached one that I have from later in the game. I had reloaded a prior working autosave then played through the problematic period.

Attachments

• Oy AD-0310.CivBeyondSwordSave
    218.6 KB · Views: 57
Thank you. I'll take a look in the morning. :)

It must be something that hinges on a few variables because only you and Millansoft (to my knowledge) have reported a problem like this.

I do also have this problem from time to time. When trying to load a savegame (normal or autosave) the program crashes (BAT 2.3, exception number 5, address 0x9437f7 in Civ4BeyondTheSword.exe)

Sometimes it is sufficient to load an autosave from one or two turns back. In my current game I am not able to load at least the last 5 auto-savegames. I did not test how far I would have to go back, it takes a about a minute per save. The starting save works, though *sigh* This is very annoying.

I hope there is a way to fix this

I do also have this problem from time to time. When trying to load a savegame (normal or autosave) the program crashes (BAT 2.3, exception number 5, address 0x9437f7 in Civ4BeyondTheSword.exe)

Sometimes it is sufficient to load an autosave from one or two turns back. In my current game I am not able to load at least the last 5 auto-savegames. I did not test how far I would have to go back, it takes a about a minute per save. The starting save works, though *sigh* This is very annoying.

I hope there is a way to fix this
I hope so too. I can't for the life of me think of what could corrupt the save games like that...

Top Bottom