Cosmetic Change: Traders

Camels were at one point were used in the gold rushes of Canada and the United States during the 19th century.
And heavily in Australia. And then suddenly, they weren‘t needed anymore and now they are kind of a plague and you are allowed to shoot them whenever you see them. And the government is hunting them with snipers flying around in helicopters ...

Camels were at one point were used in the gold rushes of Canada and the United States during the 19th century.
It's kind of funny because I admit that living in both Texas and Arizona I've never ridden a horse in my life, but I have ridden a camel once.

As I understand it, the US Camelry was one of those government bright ideas that didn't end well--I understand most of the American and Canadian camels ended up dying of starvation in the wilderness.

As I understand it, the US Camelry was one of those government bright ideas that didn't end well--I understand most of the American and Canadian camels ended up dying of starvation in the wilderness.

Which is fascinating, since the Arizona-New Mexico area in which the camels were turned loose in the 1850s is nearly the same area where horses from the Spanish colonists got loose in the 1550s, and the horses thrived, multiplied, and made massive changes in the cultures of every Native tribe that could get their hands on them...

Top Bottom