Cost effective AA for Navy?

Herb0815

Chieftain
In my current game the AI is quite potent to sink my ships by focus fire them with Airplanes. It looks like it is capable to carry out about 6 offensive airstrikes per round, so it would be nice to be able to make this amount of air interceptions, when starting a big coastal invasion to keep all my ships operational.

To achieve this I see different approaches:

A) Using 2 carriers with 3 fighters type air units each on Intercept order.

+Good interception range so it will cover all of my ships
+Fighters are potent in shooting down attacking Aircraft, decimating the enemy air force

-2 hole carriers and 6 fighters used, that are not available for other tasks (Air sweep, carrying bomber/A-bombs, Ground attacking)
-Fighters will have to repair after some rounds and will not be able to intercept.

B) Using ships and upgrading them with the "Anti Air-promotion" (Don´t know the name)

+Ships protecting each other, as they building a tight formation anyway (Destroyer surrounding the core of capital ships to defend them from other melee type ships)

-Lone raiding see vessels are not protected as they are not in the Intercept range of friendly ships (I think the Intercepting range of ships with the AA promotion is only 1 tile)
-Only ships in the center of the formation will be protected from all 6 Airstrikes, especially ships on the flanks are only protected from 2 airstrikes and so are still in danger to be disabled by enemy focus airstrikes. (Assuming the AA promotion range is rly limited to 1 tile)
-To bombard enemy cities the fleet will either have to forfeit the full air defense for the capital ships, or expose its destroyers to coastal fire from enemy city and garrison artillery/ships.
-AA ships will have to have movement left to use intercept (Not sure about this. Could someone explain to me the Intercept rules for the Anti Air Promotion please?)

C)Destroying the enemy Air force in the 1st turn by heavy A-Bomb using/Air sweeping

+Enemy Air threat is neutralized fast, freeing up resources for other task
+A-Bomb collateral weakens enemy cities and ground units
+Large scale nuking is great fun :nuke:

-The AI will quick buy new air units, no defense against them
-Nukes could be used better (Enemy main army not in position at coast on invasion turn 1, some cities will gain health back when not captured fast)
-Enemy inland Air force still 100% operational.

Spoiler :
D)Using Chuck Norris style Sub attack/backup strategy to own the AI without having to worry about the enemy airforce.

+Feeling like Chuck Norris
-Real Chuck Norris may comes to your house roundhouse kicking you for using Chuck Norris subs.

What are your strategies, for an cost effective AA to protect your Navy.

I'm thrilled this is such a challenging decision. I'm glad to know the AI is defending against navies with aircraft! I don't really have enough experience with the late game to give strategy tips - I rarely get past the halfway point nowadays before finding a bunch of things to improve, and start all over again. :lol:

I typically take over islands to base fighters either for cover or for rapid replenishment of healing aircraft.

I've got a modded version with missile ships and carriers having AA too but i usually find it is the AI this helps, if anyone.

Depends on the distance to the city.

Usually if it is close I will use ships. Further away will choose Air Craft Carriers.

Option "E" is bring along 5 Battleships and destroy the Air Base while destroying the city in one turn!

Top Bottom