Cost of Great Person

hhhhhh

Prince
I thought I understood the cost of Great Persons in the game, until something unusual happened.

This is what I knew - On standard speed classical GP cost 60 points, and medieval GP cost 120 points on Medieval era, but if they appear in classical era it's 155 points. And Renaissance GP will cost 610 points if they appear in classical era. Basically I'm aware of the cost and era penalty.

upload_2020-11-9_8-44-40.png

However the following happened to me, twice - sometimes the first GP of an era cost 2x of what the table predicts and when I'm leading in points and reject the first GP of the era, the next two are half of the cost of the first one. I had rejected a classical admiral which cost 80 points on quick speed, and when another player took it, the next ones cost 40. And I had rejected an industrial engineer that cost 560 points on quick speed, and when another player took it, the next ones cost 40.

Is there any mechanism I'm missing making the first GP cost 2x but the next two cost are as predicted by the table?

Mod-wise in case anyone asks... the classical admiral case was on a 2x mod, so I thought 80 points is given by that 2x mod but then the next two only cost 40. The industrial engineer case was not on any mod, so that the cost of 560 points is 2x of what I expected.

Last edited:
Perhaps an increase from this rule
If the world's average era is below of the first GP of a new era of a certain type, there's a fixed increase +30% in price. This increase is only applied on the first GP from that type of that era.
and perhaps, by coincidence you got the first GP from an era that half of the world had not entered yet.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/the-mechanism-of-great-people.26276/

Well thanks for the response. if you read what I said this is known to me.
This is exactly why a medieval GP would cost 155 in classical era (120 * 130% = 156, rounded to 5 or 10). And this is still happening in games.

I'm asking why sometimes GP cost are doubled (or halved).

Last edited:
@Lily_Lancer since you are the author of The Mechanism of Great People, are you aware of something I described here? i.e. sometimes the first GP cost twice of the regular price and the 2nd and 3rd only cost half of the first one.

After R& F the GP cost no longer depends on the index(whether it being 1st or 2nd/3rd of a certain era) of the GP. It only depends on the era difference between GP and world era.

diff=era of GP-world era when the GP first appears

cost=(1+0.3*diff)^diff*base_cost, round down to 5.

For example, Information era GP appearing at T165(Industrial Era), cost 1320*(1.9^3)=9050.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.51.10 PM.png

After R& F the GP cost no longer depends on the index(whether it being 1st or 2nd/3rd of a certain era) of the GP. It only depends on the era difference between GP and world era.

Oh so it used to depend on the index? What I've experienced is that in Gathering Storm games sometimes the first GP cost twice as much as the 2nd and 3rd. (e.g. first Great Engineer cost 560 points while the 2nd and 3rd cost 280 points, in a quick speed game, where 280 is normal for industrial era GP on industrial era) Do you think it's just a bug?

Top Bottom