Costal City Defenses

KrysiasKrusader

Chieftain
I'm playing the next GOTM, and nearly all my cities are coastal ones.

I've noticed that if I leave them empty (defenseless), that enemy ships can't attack them - which is a good thing. And since I have central military units, I can run them along a road to engage any units which land nearby. Enemy units don't "seem" to be able to unload directly into a city. Now this got me thinking about something else...

I can't remember if barbarian raiders can unload directly from their ship into the city itself, or if they have to land next to it first, before assaulting it. If the foremost, then garrisoning coastal cities is pretty well mandatory. If the later, then I would be safe in perusing the above tactic.

im pretty sure they have to land first

I agree. The barbarians always land before invading a city. I have, however, had a Babylonian sail unload directly into an indefended city. Since they land unopposed, you lose a city without a declaration of war. Rather irritating if you are in a republic or democracy.

Enemy units don't "seem" to be able to unload directly into a city.

I think it depends on the version of the game you're playing... but I could very well be wrong.

Ships aren't allowed into enemy cities, nor are planes, but I do believe land units can walk from the boat straight into the city and take it over if it's left undefended.

Yes, it could very well be.

If memory serves me correctly - I vaguely am remembering units off loading directly into my cities (or I had done so myself to an enemy one). I just can't recall for certain. However, in CivII this is not possible, unless you have a marine unit, which is where the conflicting memories may be stemming from.

I think inthe amiga versions (ecs and aga) the enemy can land directly, and soesn't have to declare war if unopposed. Had this happening once, it's very irritating.

Top Bottom