COTM 02: Pregame discussion

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Conquest Of The Month: 02 Speculation and pre-game discussion

To kick-off the discussions this month, all you are going to get is the starting screenshot.

Fog-gaze to your hearts' content, but the main thing is to get the discussions going about what your starting moves will be. :)

well all I can figure out now is that we arent gonna be expansionist(since we only have 2 units)

yikes! 1st desert (dry) now lots of water :lol: 1T SE would be a good fishing spot but not very nice for a palace city :) looks like more wandering settlers.

Well that is an interesting starting location. It looks like we may be the dutch.

Looks like everyone will get to experience a 1CC game. :lol:

One move SE and you can have both whale resources, but you build on a BG. Moving the worker to the hill will provide some insight, perhaps an isthmus to a lush open grassland w/ rapid rushing rivers. If nothing worth taking several turns to settle for, then no freshwater and an aqueduct is needed.

If it is an island, the number one priority is to get off ASAP.

Hmm...too bad both whales aren't in our zone. I can already see moving my palace...and I don't do that often.

One move SE and you can have both whale resources, but you build on a BG. Moving the worker to the hill will provide some insight, perhaps an isthmus to a lush open grassland w/ rapid rushing rivers. If nothing worth taking several turns to settle for, then no freshwater and an aqueduct is needed.

If it is an island, the number one priority is to get off ASAP.

Moving the worker is a good idea, but building on the bonus grass is a really tough call. If we are on a tiny island, best to settle right where you are.

Trading the BG for an extra whale sounds like a good deal to me. Whales give lots of commerce...

But I'll definitely move the worker onto the NW hill in hope of finding something better.

Map Making as the free tech could be the proper choice here, if we can reach philosophy first. If we're on an Island. I can't stand all these IFs!

I agree with DaveMcW IF we're on an island. Whales are nice. More room for a second town too.

Megalou said:
Map Making as the free tech could be the proper choice here, if we can reach philosophy first. If we're on an Island. I can't stand all these IFs!

I agree with DaveMcW IF we're on an island. Whales are nice. More room for a second town too.

If we're not an expansion trait civ, then we'll need pottery before we can pick Map Making as the free tech. Don't think we are from the number of units in the image.

If we're a commercial or seafaring trait civ, then we only need to research two techs beore Philosophy. If not, then we must research three techs before Philosophy.

Another if. If there are no nearby seafaring civs to trade w/ early on...

Commercial trait civs will start w/ Aplhabet, as will seafaring civs.

Commercial Trait: (8)
Rome
Greece
India
Iroquois
France
England
Korea
Hittites - COTM 01

Seafaring Trait: (7)
Portugal
Spain
England
Byzantines
Netherlands
Carthage
Scandinavia

There is a pretty good chance we'll be exploring in a carrack or have one come by early, but will it be early enough to trade for a prerequisite tech for Philosophy? And, this depends on if there are islands separated by coastal tiles or near enough for a dash across open sea.

This is gonna be hard, but its better than that damn desert we were in last game. I just hope its on Regent :)

conehead234 said:
Well that is an interesting starting location. It looks like we may be the dutch.
the color of the dutch may be Orange, i think it maight be Egypt, terrible :(

ShaoKai said:
the color of the dutch may be Orange, i think it maight be Egypt, terrible :(

Hopefully ainwood has fiddled w/ the colors.

so why not tell us which civ it will be? i don't know how to start now, this start location is absolutely out of my expectation :eek:

If this is a small island will consider moving to a hill to settle so I can get good growth from both grasslands, otherwise will need a harbor to get good growth

Top Bottom