COTM 04 Pre-Game Discussion

Well, seems to be the babylionans according to the colors!I hope so... because scientific and religious are the best trait for me. I hope the difficulty level will not be too hard...
Very good starting Bonus near a river a a Wheat !
Ainwood seams to be in a great mood ! ;)
LeSphinx

LeSphinx said:
Well, seems to be the babylionans according to the colors!I hope so...

I'm not too sure about that. Ainwood has been known to change the color of the civs, when showing us the starting location...

I'll wait until we have some more info, before deciding on my first moves.
Right now we only know the start and that it's a large map.... Not enough for a good discussion on opening moves, IMHO. But I'm patient. ;)

Darkness, I agree with you. As we do not have more info, I can not plan my first move!

Maybe, Ainwood, can you tell us if you have modified the colour of the settler ?

LeSphinx

I think we are Maya. In any case, I am pretty sure we are Agricultural. I'll try to explain why:

- Up until now, in the COTM's, we have been three of the seven new C3C civs: Hittities, Netherlands and Byzantines. Judging from this, I believe we will walk through all of them up until COTM7. This leaves us with either Portugal, Sumeria, Inca or Maya.

- The last two COTM's have been with a Seafaring civ. I would be surprised to have three Seafaring games in a row. Also, Seafaring civs always start by the coast, so unless Ainwood has modded the start position, we can rule out Portugal. So we are either Inca, Maya or Sumeria. Note that all of those are Agricultural civs.

- There is no scout showing in the screenshot, so unless Ainwood as modded it again (it has happened before), we can rule out Inca.

- The Sumerians are Scientific, which Byzantines were in COTM3. The Maya, on the other hand, are Indsustrious, and we have never been an Industrous civ in COTM. Also, the Mayan UU has the "enslave" ability, which we have not had a chance to try yet. This would be a good time. Therefore, I am putting my money on Maya.

Disclaimer: All of the above could be total bs. :p

-- Roland

Somebody is having a bad conscience *hehe* the starting location looks great (for now).
I will also wait before I can say what how I will move...

Well, I think this is one game where nobody will want to settle in place. ;)

I haven't done any fog-gazing, but I am betting that we will have something interesting to the west that will make us choose between the river and it. I think the worker should go to the wheat. Otherwise, either of river grasslands look good.

I don't think I've ever played a GOTM on anything other than a standard map. What can we expect in terms of number of opponents, etc?

No matter if we are Agricultural or not, I will definately found my capitol by the river. Also, I will want to keep the wheat inside the city radius (after expansion), which rules out moving E (the defense-bonus is of no use, since I am not planning on my capitol to be attacked in this game ;) ). This leaves moving N or NE. I will probably want to cram in at least three core cities on the river, with the capitol in the middle. It looks like the river continues a fair bit north, while it may well end in a mountain a tile or two to the south. This leaves founding the capitol 1 tile N as the most likely option for me. But I will send my worker N first to have a look, even though that will waste a worker turn.

-- Roland

Roland Ehnström said:
- Up until now, in the COTM's, we have been three of the seven new C3C civs: Hittities, Netherlands and Byzantines. Judging from this, I believe we will walk through all of them up until COTM7. This leaves us with either Portugal, Sumeria, Inca or Maya

- The last two COTM's have been with a Seafaring civ. I would be surprised to have three Seafaring games in a row. Also, Seafaring civs always start by the coast, so unless Ainwood has modded the start position, we can rule out Portugal. So we are either Inca, Maya or Sumeria. Note that all of those are Agricultural civs.

- There is no scout showing in the screenshot, so unless Ainwood as modded it again (it has happened before), we can rule out Inca.

- The Sumerians are Scientific, which Byzantines were in COTM3. The Maya, on the other hand, are Indsustrious, and we have never been an Industrous civ in COTM. Also, the Mayan UU has the "enslave" abaility, which we havn't had a chance to try yet. This would be a good time. Therefore, I am putting my money on Maya.

Disclaimer: All of the above could be total bs. :p

-- Roland
Well reasoned. It makes total sense. Although, I wouldn't totally rule out the Summerians. But the Mayan do seem more interesting.

Enslave - the Javelin Thrower (Maya's UU), has a chance to enslave an enemy unit every time it wins a battle. I believe this chance is 1/3. The enemy unit in this case is replaced with a slave worker, exactly the same sort of slave worker you would recieve for capturing an enemy worker.

This gives Maya a massive advantage, since early on the game, a large number of wins with the JavThrower can result in more unpaid workers than your civilisation actually needs. However, the result is an extremely early GA. A nice strategy is to farm barbarians, since they can also be enslaved, and do not trigger the GA.

I hope we are Maya, since our agricultural trait will allow us quick expansion into this large map, perhaps allowing a fast Domination or 100K victory.

I agree with first moves. Worker N, if nothing special is to be seen, Settler NE. Looks like there may be plains to SW and W...

LeSphinx, the Mayan UU is the Javelin Thrower. It is a 2.2.1 unit that replaces the Archer. It's main ability is that when it wins a battle (attacking or defending), there is a 50% chance that the enemy is enslaved. If this happens, you get a free worker.

Combined with the Industrious trait, this makes the Maya a very strong civ indeed!

-- Roland

chunkymonkey said:
Enslave - the Javelin Thrower (Maya's UU), has a chance to enslave an enemy unit every time it wins a battle. I believe this chance is 1/3.

The civilopedia sais that the chance is 1/3, but my experience after two games with the Maya is that the chance is higher than that, probably 1/2. Or maybe I've just been extremely lucky! :)

-- Roland

ok, thanks chunkymonkey and Roland Ehnström .

Whoo, it's a great advantage to have so much worker easyly. But I think the Industrious civ trait do not apply for slaves workers. Right?

Indeed, GA and lots of free worker can be a very good advantage in a large map at the beginning!

LeSphinx

Roland Ehnström said:
I think we are Maya. In any case, I am pretty sure we are Agricultural. I'll try to explain why:

- Up until now, in the COTM's, we have been three of the seven new C3C civs: Hittities, Netherlands and Byzantines. Judging from this, I believe we will walk through all of them up until COTM7. This leaves us with either Portugal, Sumeria, Inca or Maya.

You are probably right but I have a suspicion that at some point we will get one of the 'old' civs that had its traits altered for C3C. Two of them that have not been in a GOTM for a long time are the English and the Iroquois. Ruling out the English as they are not by the sea, that makes me think that the latter are worth an outside bet. The Iroquios are also agricultural BTW.

dvandenburg said:
I haven't done any fog-gazing, but I am betting that we will have something interesting to the west that will make us choose between the river and it. I think the worker should go to the wheat. Otherwise, either of river grasslands look good.

I think I agree with this. Ainwood must have something to torture us with. ;)

I forgot to mention that I think that we will get a Monarch level game this month-it's the only middle level we haven't had yet.
Edit: EMPEROR :blush:

I'm not sure because COTM1 was Regent, COTM2 was Monarch, COTM3 was demigod.
If they'is logic in this, COTM4 shoud be Deity!
I hope not but let see what Ainwood is reserving us!
I'm looking foward to have all the informations about COTM4 and have donwload the saved games!
LeSphinx

LeSphinx said:
I'm not sure because COTM1 was Regent, COTM2 was Monarch, COTM3 was demigod.
If they'is logic in this, COTM4 shoud be Deity!
I hope not but let see what Ainwood is reserving us!

IIRC in one of the spoilers for COTM3 Ainwood said the difficulty level would go down again, so I don't think it'll be deity level. :)

Yeah, Emperor would make sense, especially with a good starting location like this one (?). Also, I believe it's a pangea world, as we are yet to have one in COTM. Judging by the screenshot, I'd say we're north of the equator. The river probably runs from the hills in the SE towards the coast somewhere NW. The forests to the south suggest plains further south, or possibly jungle if it's a wet world.
-- Roland

Top Bottom