Ocean Coverage: 60%
Climate: Wet
World Age: 5 Billion Years
Temperature: Temperate
Difficulty: Monarch

And of course, the starting map:

And the minimap:

Discuss away! :D

Hmm... this tile set looks different or is it just because it is the middle of the night here in the SouthEast. Portugese are ocean-going people, expansionist and seafaring. With tech of alphabet and writing, they are natural explorers and traders. Looks like a great place to settle and make wine. I see in another post that the difficulty is Monarch.

ainwood said:
Barbarians: Sedentary

Hmmm...
I wonder how many farmers gambits we'll see, with no barbs (except those from GH's) and Portugal being expansionist?

Yes Darkness, Portugal is expansionist and a lot of goldy hut will be present ... but not in our continent!
;-)
LeSphinx

The following link is to the civ review of the Portuguese by Keirador (in the Strategy Articles subforum):

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=102622

He's not too positive about them, though.... ;)

@LeSphinx: I know. ;) I was referring to the ability of the Portuguese to build scouts (because they are expansonist) so you don't have to build warriors for scouting and you can go for a real farmers gambit (no military units at all)...

ThorRex said:
Hmm... this tile set looks different or is it just because it is the middle of the night here in the SouthEast.

Yes. Looks like Ainwood is using Snoopy's Terrain Mod with tiles showing food, shields and commerce.
So, we are exp. so we should have a scout. I would move the scout east and then north over the river, so we could see, what we get, when we settle right in place. ( I'm not experienced in fog gazing, but for me it looks like grassland)
We have fish and wine, so we can do some dinner parties...
I'm not sure whether to move the settler. With a non sea-Civ I would, but that commerce bonus is nice, but we could get some problems with shields. OTOH we could build a curragh right away.
In any case I think I let the worker do the road to the wine first.
And I also think we could risk it, not building a warrior early, we don't need it for happiness, because we got the wine and barbs should be no problem(except our next neighbor opens a goody hut, but no risk no fun...)

Darkness said:
Hmmm...
I wonder how many farmers gambits we'll see, with no barbs (except those from GH's) and Portugal being expansionist?

Please, Darkness, enlighten me ;): What does the 'farmers gambit' mean?

horragoth said:

I think, it means, you build no warrior in the beginning, you even send a settler undefended to found the next city.
Hey, Darkness, you brought me to an idea.
How about that for our top players:
Instead of AAC last time, you do the opposite, winning without building any military units...would be a real challenge...

I will probably move the scout south to see if we would lose anything. Then the worker north.
Then decide if I settle in spot or move ne.
There is always some hope for more wine northish, because luxes tend to cling together. Maybe even enough for a settler factory.
In any case the worker will irrigate the wine first.
That will shave two turns off the growth to size 2.

horragoth said:

Farmers Gambit: Building no military units during the expansion phase of the game. (so only build workers, settlers, scouts. Not quite sure where curraghs stand on this issue).

Might be feasible, 'cause the scouts can explore and the wines will reduce the need for MP in the early game. We've already gor alphabet, so beelining for republic might see some very early republics founded....

I remember Ainwood talking about monarch for the next COTM in another thread.
That would even make connecting the wine low priority.

Darkness said:
Might be feasible, 'cause the scouts can explore and the wines will reduce the need for MP in the early game. We've already gor alphabet, so beelining for republic might see some very early republics founded....

Thanks for info. I will probably use this approach to certain extent, namely until I meet another civ nearby.

ainwood said:
Sorry - I should have posted that at the start (old habits die-hard ;)) It is in fact 'Monarch'. :)

Ah, COTM5 was regent, COTM6 is monarch...
Are we on an rising slope of difficulty levels? ;)

Monarch again, Food bonus + Lux start again :mad:
Am I the only one who's not happy about this? I mean, all those discussion about CotMs being too easy, and dom/milking favored too much seemed futile.
Why not Emperor? Below that level, the whole game concept of 'Tech Trading', and most of the concept 'Happiness' is pointless :(

Ya know, Doc, it does take the GOTM staff quite a lot of time to generate and play-test each map -- any changes based on the recent discussions will take a couple of months to be evident out here.

Just saying.

Renata

Settling 1NE looks like a good 20K location. I may well (simply due to lack of time in November due to other commitments) go for a 5CC 20K.

Neil. :cool:

Top Bottom