[C3C] COTM 128 Rome Regent - 1st Spoiler - End of Ancient Times

Quintillus

Archiving Civ3 Content
Supporter
This thread is for your reports of events and progress in COTM 128 Rome Regent up to the date where you are able to research a Medieval tech.

Do not read or post in this thread until you meet this condition. You may reveal Medieval bonus techs from the end of the last Ancient Age turn.

Please do not post information here relating to later dates, and please only post maps of your home area and no minimaps.

Two things about this game-

1. Barbarians- not a big deal. I thought they were going to be, but they were nothing more than a nuisance that were dispatched fairly quickly.
2. RESOURCES- Or lack thereof. This continent has nothing. Some iron way south, and no luxuries that I've seen.

As of the end of ancient times, I just about took out the Carthaginians. They're only left with 3 or 4 nothing towns. That was a long war though with lots of catapults and archers. When I finally made peace, my citizens dropped the war weariness, and I was able to crank up the research.

So heading into Medieval Times, I'm at the front in terms of research, I'm sitting on a ton of gold, and I'm building my infrastructure.

Moderator Action: please don't disclose info about the rest of the world at this spoiler level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Entered Middle Ages in 900 BC. It seems the twist is a complete lack of resources. It hurts the AI very badly. They are pretty worthless.

I went for the Republic slingshot, only to end up with a bunch of small towns that could barely support my archers to attack Carthage. No point (that I can see) in conquering any more of my neighbors, as they have no resources that can help me. Ended up switching to from Republic to Monarchy to get better unit support and grow my towns into cities. Although I'm the economic and militaristic powerhouse on this continent, I have a feeling that the other continent is going to be resource rich with very powerful civs. At this point I'm just going to start building wonders to improve happiness, and focus on improvements that do the same so I can get my cities up to size 12, even if I have to stay a Monarchy for quite some time.

It's a standard sized map, but you can build the Forbidden Palace with 8 towns?

Last edited:
I settled in place and saw lots of cows so I researched Pottery as quickly as I could. My initial build was warrior to explore, settler, granary, warrior, warrior and then almost purely settlers for the rest of the AA. My exploring warrior quickly meets Carthage. My research path after Pottery was writing and to the Republic slingshot. My 3rd town Cumae is on the coast and pops out 2 curraghs to explore the coastlines.

My next contact is India and I trade for the Wheel to find we have no horses nearby. Horses through to Cavalry is my prefered units for war. Soon the Celts are found and it is possible to trade for Iron Working, to find we have no iron either. The only iron I can see is within the Celt borders, far away to the south. There are no luxuries to be seen either.

In 1525bc Philosophy is completed and Republic is taken for free. After 5 turns of Anarchy the republic is formed in 1400bc, and I have 10 towns at this time. As there is no happiness from the Military Police there is now a lot of playing with the lux slidder as Rome oscillates between pop 6 and 4 as it continues to pump out the settlers.

When I am ready to attack Carthage I goad them into declaring war and the Archer attack begins.

1000bc Stats
15 towns, Pop39, Treasury 77g, Score 213, tiles 157
Maths complete in 4 turns, then Currency, Construction and Pokytheism left to MA, with Mon unknown.
Units1 Settler, 12 workers, 1 slave, 9 warriors, 3 spear, 8 archers, 2 curraghs
Builds; 1 granary, 5 barracks
Contacts with India (emb), Celts (emb) Carthage (at war)

Peace is agreed with Carthage for 3 of their towns before immediately starting war again. Carthage was destroyed in 850bc, and neither India or the Celts had even met Carthage. Quite pathetic really. By 900bc my 2 curraghs have met each other on the other side of the continent and begin to back track to possible crossing points.

After defeating Carthge I decided not to build any more archers as India was quite a distance away, so I used the time to build libraries and temples to improve my research and improve my happiness so towns could grow to at least 6 pop. Eventually I have settled right up to India and in 510bc I declare war and in 490bc I enter the Middle Ages.

AA Technologies
Spoiler :

4000bc WC and Alphabet Starting techs.
3400bc Pots research
3100bc Masonry GH
2190bc BW GH
2190bc Wheel and CB trade India
2150bc Writing research
1990bc Mysticism GH
1700bc CoL research
1550bc IW trade India
1525bc Philo research
1525bc Republic free slingshot
1225bc MM research
1050bc Literature research
925bc Maths research
875bc HBR Celts trade
710bc Currency research
570bc Construction research
490bc Poly research

Towns up to 1000bc
Spoiler :

1 4000bc Rome founded
2 3250bc Antium founded
3 2350bc Cumae founded
4 2150bc Neapolis founded
5 2030bc Pompeii founded
6 1910bc Pisae founded
7 1750bc Ravenna founded
8 1650bc Hispalis founded
9 1500bc Viroconium founded.
10 1425bc Lutetia founded
11 1250bc Byzantium founded
12 1150bc Brundisium founded
13 1075bc Leptis Magna given by Carthage
14 1050bc Syracuse founded
15 1000bc Caesaraugusta founded

Full log
Spoiler :

The Ancient Ages
4000bc Settle in place and see lots of cows. Research pots at max, build warrior, settler, granary, warrior, warrior
3400bc Brown border spotted, Pots completed.
3300bc Carthage contacted, I am up WC, Pots, but down BW and Masonry.
3250bc Antium founded, popping GH1 - maps.
3100bc GH2 Masonry
2630bc GH3 Angry Phrygian warriors
2550bc GH4 Angry Thracian warriors
2350bc Cumae founded . GH5 25g.
2190bc GH6 Bronze Working. India contacted. I am up Mas, Pots but down Wheel and CB. I trade my techs plus 30g for the Indian techs. No horses are visible.
2150bc Neapolis founded
2070bc GH7 Maps
2030bc Pompeii founded
1990bc GH8 Myusticism
1910bc Pisae founded
1830bc GH8 (useless) maps
1790bc GH9 (again, useless) maps, GH10 25g
1750bc Ravenna founded
1700bc The Celts are contacted, I am up Alpha, Wheel and Myst, CoL completed
1650bc Hispalis founded
1550bc I trade writing to India for IW and 90g, and to Carthage for 60g. I trade Alpha to Celts for 35g and a worker. No iron visible. Nor iron, no horses, looks like archer wars only. One iron spotted, but way south and inside the Celts territory.
1525bc Philo completed, republic for free, immediately call for a revolution and get 5 turns of Anarchy.
1500bc Viroconium founded
1425bc Lutetia founded, IBT Republic founded. I have to keep the lux slider at min 20% (to keep 4 pop) and increase when Rome expands above 4 pop. So far there are no lux visible on our continent.
1300bc Both of my exploring curraghs attacked by barb galleys on the same turn, both survive.
1250bc Byzantium founded.
1225bc Carthage move 2 warriors into my territory, a surprise attack? Military Advisor says we are average compared to Carthage. MM completed.
1200bc Carthage asked to remove troops, the troops are removed.
1150bc Brundisium founded, again the 2 pesky Carthage warriors are requested to leave, and they go.
1125bc I trade MM to India, for 40g and Celts a gift, in the hope one of these builds the Great Lighthouse. Embassies built for India and Celts. No point for Carthage, I will soon be at war with them.
1075bc I try to make Carthage furious by demanding the town Leptis Magna, and they give it to me!!! I demand other towns until they are furious, and then demand their warriors are removed, Carthage declares war. One of the 2no warriors is dispatched, the other defeats a vet archer. I move units to Utica
1050bc Syracuse founded, Utica destroyed, with 2 vet archers lost and the Carthage GA started.
1025bc The second exploring curragh survives a second barb galley attack.
1000bc Caesaraugusta founded

1000bc Stats
15 towns, Pop39, Treasury 77g, Score 213, tiles 157
Maths complete in 4 turns, then Currency, Construction and Pokytheism left to MA, with Mon unknown.
Units1 Settler, 12 workers, 1 slave, 9 warriors, 3 spear, 8 archers, 2 curraghs
Builds; 1 granary, 5 barracks
Contacts with India (emb), Celts (emb) Carthage (at war)

975bc I am building up a (small) stack of Archers to attack the Carthage capital Carthaginian
950bc IBT Carthage asks for peace, we agree for 3 towns Leptis Minor, Hippo and Theveste.
925bc I immediately declare war on Carthage and move 2 stacks consisting of 2 spear, 6 archers (5vet, 1 elite) and 1 warrior. Mathematics completed. The 2 curraghs have circumnavigated our continent and now look go to make suicide crossings.
875bc Carthaginian captured and razed. A Carthaginian Numidian Mercenary approaches Theveste, and I can't defend the town so I am forced to abandon it. I trade Lit to Celts for HBR.
850bc I check and both India and Celts have not yet met Carthage!! Sabratha destroyed along with the Carthagians.
825bc 1 Curragh and 1 Galley lost at sea, Leptis Magna rushes a settler and is then abandoned. There is a sizable distance between the conquered Carthage lands and India. As I need to keep the lux slider at min 20% my research will be crippled by unit support if I continue to build archers and not fight. Therefore follows a period where I build Libraries in my core and try to settle up to India.
750bc Portugal completes the Colossus.
690bc Zulu completes the Oracle.
670bc My units are slowing amassing on the Indian borders. The Military Advisor says we are strong with just 9 archers.
570bc Construction complete
510bc I declare war on India, 2 spear and 7 archer move on Madras,
490bc Madras destroyed. Poly completed and we enter the MA.

Scratcher

Last edited:
It's a standard sized map, but you can build the Forbidden Palace with 8 towns?
Ah, that might explain, why CivAssit got confused when calculating the predicted 100K date: it consistently showed the date when I would reach 80K instead of 100K...
So for some reason we have the OCC of a small map, and also CivAssist's 100K victory algorithm confused this with a small map?!

Top Bottom