[C3C] COTM 162 England Deity

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
COTM CLXII England Deity
queen.jpg

An English Deity?

Last edited:
In Conquest of the Month 162 you rule as Queen Elisabeth over the Seafaring and Commercial English, who already know Pottery and Alphabet.

This game was designed by Captain Jack, and this is how he presents the game:

In COTM 162 you take the helm of England in a Deity-level contest. This is an opportunity to show that you are able to navigate the tricky waters and bring H.M.S. Britannia to dominance. There are several changes to the rules designed to increase your chances of success. First a new wonder:

Stonehenge: This mysterious structure may be built after the discovery of Masonry. It will promote the spread of Druidic rituals throughout your land increasing the general happiness and stimulating a population growth mimicked by the creation of a granary in each of your cities worldwide. These pagan practices will be eliminated by the adoption of monotheism and those pseudo-granaries will then disappear, so it is not equal to the Pyramids. This replaces the Mausoleum of Mausollos and the Ai can and will build it. Probably before you at the Deity level, but who knows?

Next, a new unique unit:

Dragoons (4/4/2): Available at Gunpowder, these heavy mounted units are mobile musketman that dismount to fight, and can trigger a golden age. Their nags are mostly draft horses, so saltpeter is the only resource required and as an added bonus they treat all terrain as road. They will not upgrade. Cost is 60 shields, same as for Musketmen, but they have significantly more offensive punch and were quite useful in trial play. This unit is unique to the English, but you must survive to the Middle Ages to build it.

Finally, a change to the traditional UU:

Man-O-War (4/3/5): This dreaded English frigate has been given a bump on defense. Its notable feature is that it may enslave enemy warships. Rule Britannia!

Map: Archipelago. You can smell the salt.

AI: Spain, France, Zulu, Celts, Japan, Scandinavia, Germany, Byzantium

Starting Position
Starting Location.jpg

Time Plan
  • The game is released on January 1, 2023
  • Submissions are due by March 31, 2023

Game Release Page

Spoilers and discussions are free. Use your judgement!

@The_J @Blake00

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, perhaps moving the settler to find the coast or more food would be justified. Stonehenge could be useful for population growth while also keeping those restless citizens happy. On the other hand, it becomes obsolete rather quickly and building wonders at deity level is risky. Better to use those shields for units, workers, and settlers.

Question for Captain Jack. Do pikemen upgrade to Dragoons? Or will it go Pikemen to Riflemen?
Thanks for settling up the game. Can’t wait to play!

There's something kinda yeeeeech about a sefaring civ not starting by a coastal square.

At least it's not located in total tundra like that one GOTM several years ago lol.

Do not despair! Deity levels games are supposed to represent a challenge, but I don't think this will be insurmountable for the cadre of experienced and capable players taking to the field here. Perhaps not everyone will log a victory this quarter, but everyone will certainly take to the sea eventually. (I admit that as I look at the starting position I am not filled with hope, but I can assure you that in trial play the situation was not not hopeless. Remember, I want to be invited back as a game-creator and not exiled from the CivIII community.)

The Dragoon is essentially a beefed-up Hussar. Pikemen are on their usual track so they will upgrade to Riflemen. The Dragoon can upgrade to Cavalry, but it is potent right out of the box.

Game Crash. Has anybody tried to build dragoons yet? I keep getting an error message about an "error reading file" and a game crash when I try to build Dragoons or connect saltpeter. Anybody have any ideas?
Civ3 error 1-5-23.jpg

Ouch. The game worked fine when I ran it on my computer.
There is file that must be added to play as Austria, and the Dragoon is based on the Austrian Hussar. Have you added that file previously?

That must be the problem. Anyway, after reloading several times and trying it different ways I decided to play on without Dragoons. I am now at military tradition, have saltpeter hooked up and can build cavalry. All is good.

The problem seems to occur either when you connect saltpeter (probably due to the pop up “congratulations you have saltpeter it is now possible to build dragoons” ) or when you start building a dragoon/hussar. I waited a couple of turns to connect saltpeter and did not get the error. Every time I tried to build or switch production to a Dragoon it crashed. I would suggest that before reaching gun powder loading the files for Austria and starting a game as Austria. I don’t know how to do this, but maybe someone else can post it.

I am sorry that you cannot build the Dragoon. I designed it to be a fun and potent addition to the English military. One of the sages will certainly tell you how to add in the necessary file (assuming that's the problem). Maybe you can build a few just for fun after the issue is resolved.

So far, this game has been fun and very challenging. I think I will try to build a couple. Triggering a GA would be helpful.

So far, this game has been fun and very challenging. I think I will try to build a couple. Triggering a GA would be helpful.

See this post for details on how to get the file you need.

Excellent. I'm glad it's working as it should and Mr. Random Guy was able to save the day. Good luck.

Top Bottom