COTM 20 Final Spoiler - End Game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Karasu, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Karasu

Karasu Wanderer GOTM Staff

Here we are at the third and final spoiler for COTM20.

Talk freely about all that happened in your game here -the only prerequisite for this thread is to have completed and submitted the game.

And don't be shy in posting! We are probably setting a record in terms of view-per-post ratio with the COTM20 spoilers! :hmm: ;)

2. denyd

denyd Emperor

Oops - This was the final spoiler for GOTM 50 - I'll replace this later with my COTM 20 # 3 spoiler.

3. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

Well, there is not much to add to my ancient age spoiler. I researched feudalism and then stopped science. I didn't find any horses nowhere (was the whole map without horses?), so i built swords and later MDI. This is my first ever game on regent and the AI were ridiculously weak, i didn't see a single pike throughout the game and often AI cities were defended by a single spear. The bad thing about weak AIs was that they hardly built any roads for my units, so i had to build a road ahead of my sword stack in the aztec war and later used galley chains along the coast. I captured Pyramids from the aztecs and built the Lighthouse to start the GA. I always fought on several fronts simultaneously and used RoP rape against every AI. Conquest victory in 370AD.

4. Karasu

Karasu Wanderer GOTM Staff

Well, yes... :mischief: You didn't really want a Regent game and horses, did you? :D

5. PaperBeetle

PaperBeetle Emperor

Finding the Perfect Spot
    When only building one town, finding the best spot becomes pretty important, and this start is spectacularly low on good spots. Two moos is a nice thought, but with no fresh water in sight, they will spend a long time unimproved. Even worse is the inability to reach city size until Construction.
    Well, eventually my settler moves S, S, S, N. i.e. I found Amercia two tiles S of the start, on the coast and in range of the moos, two beegees and whale. In a proper government, and with an aqueduct, I would have enough food and land to be able to avoid working the coast tiles until the industrial era, which is important for keeping the shield output high.
    So it is fundamentally a weak spot, but it is the best I have available.

Everybody Loves Scouts
    Scouts can do great things like get free towns (northern hut) and settlers (southern hut). These things are not much good in a One City Challenge. I had to abandon the free town. The settler trudged slowly home to America, expecting to walk into a barb camp at any moment. Nervous times, but eventually he made it back, and brough the town up to size six.
    Other goodies I got from huts were an axe (disbanded as he was no use in exploring, and a drain on my precious income), Burial and Philosophy (hence Laws free, as I was working towards the slingshot).

Wonder Addiction
    The best thing about doing 20k is that you get to build your own wonders without the I'm-wasting-my-shields guilt complex. After building a scout and an axe, I start Colossus (I traded Bronze from Monty). This finishes in 1990bc, and I squeeze out a worker, as I am at size 5 and the free settler is about to arrive back in America.
    At size 6, America does a healthy 13spt, so I quickly knock out a temple, and a curragh to go meet the Japanese. Then it is back on the wonder trail, starting Oracle.

Defense of the Nation
    What with all this wonder building, I don't have much time for building units, so I am a bit vulnerable to the barbs who keep cropping up to the south. This is pretty annoying, as I want to get my workers down to the lake to bring water to the moos. Indeed the barbs tend to pillage my beegees' improvements, although that axe I built back at the start valiantly defeats anyone who attacks the city itself. So after Oracle finishes in 1050bc, I decide it is time to take some time out to work on my military. By this time, I have also hooked up the nearby iron with a colony.

QSC Stats
    1 town with 6 citizens and 37 tiles.
    20 food in the bin, 0 shields in the box, 46g in the treasury.
    1 temple, Colossus, Oracle.
    1 scout, 1 axe, 1 spear, 1 curragh, 2 slaves.
    4 contacts, 3 embassies.
    All ancient techs except Construction, Currency, Polytheism, Republic, Monarchy and Literature (146 beakers contributed).
    320 culture in America, at 14cpt.
    Actually, that's not a bad QSC for a one city challenge on regent level!

On To Glory
    After building a couple (i.e. not enough) units, I start Mausoleum, but only two turns later, it goes in a cascade from the Pyramids, so I switch to Lighthouse. Then in 730bc I discover Literature, and switch over to the Great Library, while researching Republic at full steam. A couple of turns later I start to see Aztec troops shuffling around. I guess I should have blocked the choke point, although I don't know if that would have affected Monty's decision to dow.
    As the Aztecs enter America, my spear is still returning from protecting the jungle-clearing gang. I am defended by an axe and a sword, both regular. 3 Aztec axes and a jaguar are sufficient to finsh my boys off. America is taken in 610bc. :blush:

Attached Files:

6. Obormot

Obormot Old warmonger

...and pangaea :p
    I was pretty tired of my recent long games and i actually wanted to drop playing after i saw that there are no horses. But it was easy enough :)

I wonder how many people are actually playing this game. Only 12 submissions so far :( Well, it is still fine if there is at least one good player to compete with. BTW, i won't get the conquest award this month because Lord Hamster beat my date by a few turns, so maybe i'll play one more game :D (for some reason i can't really get into civ4, but i thought that if i'll have only 100k and cow left i'll better learn how to play it then go for one of these vicoty conditions :lol:). Anybody going for a conquest challenge next month? :D

BTW i've been thinking about the problem with decreasing competition in civ3 gotm and i think we should limit the number of victory conditions that are allowed for a particular game. With 30 submissions and 7 different goals there is not much sence in FF awards, especially non-domination/conquest that are less popular. If we have all people play for the same victory it'll be much more meaningfull with such a number of players. Well having milking as the only acceptable victory may be too cruel, so perhaps we should go with 2 allowed victories each game: one short (conquest or domination) and one long (one of the other victories). Of course this is a bit unfair for epthathlon players (including me), but i think this is necessary to keep the competition for FF awards alive.

7. denyd

denyd Emperor

Obormot: Noooooo, my only hope for getting an award is to be the only competitor in a given category. By my calculations, I'll need another 200+ GOTMs to finish up my epthathlon. By then it'll just be me and the Mac players left (unless Civ IV makes it to the Mac).

8. PaperBeetle

PaperBeetle Emperor

Well, I kind of agree with you both: I was looking forward to being able to sneak the occasional award these days, but it would be nonsense to rank me alongside the likes of Bamspeedy and Moonsinger (both on two FF awards) in the Pantheon of Heroes.
    This month, I am hoping for both the red ambulance (already got one of those) and green ambulance!
    An alternative to dictating the VCs allowed might be to allow all VCs but only give an award to the highest-scoring dom/conq/100k and diplo/space/20k. Keep the moocow as it is.

9. seven21

seven21 Chieftain

Open - Domination
    The Ancient Age went more or less to plan if a little slowly
    1050 BC Republic slingshot
    370 BC Great Lighthouse
    270 BC Celts DoW - no real action
    170 BC Invasion of the Aztecs lauched with the aim of setting up a second core with a GL (no Great leader appeared - a recurring theme!):(
    130 BC Middle Ages
    90 BC Pyramids captured
    150 AD Glib completed - Golden Age
    260 AD Foothold established on Western continent
    460 Aztecs destroyed and contact made with the Eastern continent
    640 Leos completed/ War declared on Japan hoping for a GL and a second core!
    The war went well until I unerestinted what was needed to take the last two cities and comitted the cardinal sin of improving their pikeman defenders to elite status.:blush:
    1160 Had to declare peace with Japan to regroup. Still not one GL had appeared!
    1170 Declared on the Celts and stole a couple of cities with a limited army before making peace .
    1315 re-commenced the conquest of the Western continent finally limiting both Japan and Rome to the offshore island and then destoying them both in 1665 - still no great leader - thought they must have been turned off!!! so started to build the FP by hand.:mad:
    1720 - commenced final war with celts to reach domination - they were well defended and it took a serious stack of artillery to wear them down.
    Crawled towards the limit and in 1800 got my first GL!!! :cry: - a bit late. got to within 3 tiles of domination and a city flipped back to the celts - it all got a bit of a farce at the end but got there in 1820.

Two thousand years of constant warfare and not one GL until ten turns before the end - must be a record?

10. EsatP

EsatP Chieftain

In C3C GL is non interest unit. I have only 4 leaders but last leader wait 1000 years and build appolon. But war was from 1500BC to 1750 AD :rolleyes:
    Play milking, but not good rezult ;)

11. Alexaus

Alexaus Chieftain

My American empire survived until 1982 - spaceship loss to Babylon.

Babylon's industrial-modern age tech rate was very fast compared to mine.

I was bottled in to that strip of continent most of the time. Whenever I expanded across the narrow land bridge, my cities were eventually destroyed by a combination of powers.

Most interesting (and difficult) aspect of the game was the lack of horses
    and therefore mobility.

Despite gaining many armies (via GL's) I wasn't able to hack through the hostile tide of allied enemies.

A lack of resources and techs to trade meant my America was unable to form alliances.

Seemed like a difficult kind of 'regent' game to me, but enjoyable.

After reading other posts here, I believe a big mistake was not to go for an ancient age conquest victory when I had an advantage in swords.

Instead, I chose to play the game right through to the modern age, trying to catch up in techs the whole game and weakend my empire with continual warfare.

12. EsatP

EsatP Chieftain

Without horses, I think, tank is optimal unit :) No problem vs warrior and spermint...
    I found special city for babilon in north tundra and make free his territory.

13. denyd

denyd Emperor

Babylon didn't make in my game. England grabbed that little one tile island and Japan & Rome shared the little one SW of Rome. In my game it's about 2000 AD and both Japan and Rome have begun resettling old Rome which is fine as I'm getting tired of killing barbarians. I gifted England a couple of cities S of Entremont. I'm getting to prefer AI taking over unwanted lands instead of having to deal with barbarians.

Just curious is GOTM 50 is ever going to get a final spoiler.

One funny thing of note. England has built a settler in that 1-tile city but had not built any ships that can carry units. Man O' Wars only.

14. socralynnek

socralynnek Civ & Hattrick addict

I got Domination in 1540 AD.

I played too sloppy and unfocused.

Also, it was very long until I got my first leader whcih would have speeded things up a lot.
    I got Rome and Japan in a log war between them and so it was not a problem to get them after I got Aztecs and Celts.

But that war vs Aztecs was soooo slow...

15. DJMGator13

DJMGator13 Wondering why Builders can't build Roads

Open Class

MA Spoiler

I entered the IA in 990AD and continued to claim Aztec cities. I secure the 2 luxes and eliminate them from the game. I then continue to research and concentrate on improving my research ability. I increase my city count to 36.

I delayed my Golden Age until 1255AD to gain a research boost thru the late Industrial Age. I also delay completing TOE until I only need 1 more IA tech, this way I can select Fission as my second free tech (1455AD). I had a poorly timed palace prebuild and had to wait an additional 4 turns to complete the UN. I achieved a diplo victory in 1475AD.

16. socralynnek

Ahhh, Golden Age, who need this anyway...
    I think this was the first GOTM/COTM where I didn't get my Golden Age...if this hadn't been on Regent it could have been a problem...

17. King Of America

King Of America Warlord

I take it this game was inspired by nostalgia for the US music scene in the early 70s...that is.. America: A Game with no Horse :)

Late UN victory. The Celts were too strong too take out after they feasted on the Aztecs. Got TOE by one turn which saved my hide.

18. socralynnek

La, laa, laaa, laaa, la, la.

Hmmm....but if so, then there would have been much more desert....

19. Oxide

Oxide Chieftain

Very clever KoA !... I dont think I have heard that song since last time I watched "Air America" - the two Laos guys singing in the background !

Prob inexperience talking but I found this game difficult, my style is to get fairly strong mobile units and then build them in big numbers... had to wait until tank and diplo my ass off until then just to keep pace with the others. Eventually ended up as Brennus' ***** in a MPP for about 1000 years and together we wiped everyone else except England. Had to end it with a RoP backstab on my long time ally when QE1 had 8/10 spaceship parts aloft and I was getting edgy (and Celts getting green eyes!). Brennus had three cities on the other continent that I couldn't get so I ended up with a Domination victory and would have had almost 90% of population (67% land) except my old mate didn't take well to my change of a millenium's foreign policy and hit two big cities with ICBM's on my last turn... Dom vic. 2017 AD !!!

Had fun though !

20. DBear

DBear unbeliever

Finished with a diplo win in 1760. Could've won domination or space race had I cared to play it out. I ended up miles ahead in tech and was feeding my neighbors to keep them happy. Japan ended up the rogue state and everyone hated them. Once I got tanks I launched an invasion and finally got a leader.

2147 Firaxis, 4943 Jason. Another average game for me.