1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COTM117 America - Pre-game discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Kuningas, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Kuningas

Kuningas Deity

COTM117 Lincoln of Americans - Monarch - Pre-game discussion

In the 117th Conquests Game of the Month you will rule as Lincoln over the Americans, who are expansionist and industrious. You start the game with the knowledge of Pottery and Masonry. Your unique unit is the F-15. "Like other jet fighters F-15s pack very potent attack. They may execute all air missions and have radar that allows them to "see" two quares, regardless of blocking terrain. They may be based in any city or aircraft carrier of the map. In addition, F-15s have Stealth Attack. The F-15 had both lethal land and sea bombardment." (Civ3 Civilopedia.)

COTM117 is a Monarch-level game. Map is a custom made "Pangaea looking like Archipelago". It should give a fair competition to all AIs versus Human player. Still scouts may prove a good advantage to human even it's "an archipelago". Everything else is as it's in random made game. And this is my first custom made map for the COTM competition.

The normal changes to the Conquests rules apply to this game: Iron locations are fixed, and Workers insted of Settlers can be popped from Goody Huts.

Starting Location

Atleast two plains cows. Or more? Anyway a potential start for a monarch level.

Scope of the Game

Column 1 Column 2
    Civilization Americans
    Difficulty Monarch
    Map size Standard 100 X 100
    Map topology Pangaea looking like "Archipelago"
    Rivals Seven pre-selected
    Barbarians Sedentary
    Required victory condition None

Save will be available in 30th of september.

Attached Files:

2. Lord AJ

Lord AJ The Quartermaster

If you are asking for a suggestion then maybe we could have a cow with a river. Only if you meant it as a question, that is.....

3. Kuningas

Kuningas Deity

nothing.........

4. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

i cannot see the pictures... ;)
    t_x

5. Kuningas

Kuningas Deity

Corrected. It was deleted because I copied other picture from google imagesearch?

6. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    That lake will give you freshwater for irrigation, so why would you need a river as well (apart from the trade bonus, anyway)? Also, being Industrious means it won't take very long to road and mine/irrigate all those Plains...

That looks like a pretty good start to me. I'll certainly be DL-ing the 4000 BC save, even if I don't actually get as far as submitting anything... What I would do with this:
    Spoiler :
    • Settle in place immediately to uncover the BFC, and start Washington building Warriors for MP, then either a Settler or a Gran (depending on what the Scout finds). It'll be an easy 4T Settler-pump in Republic (albeit with the obvious drawback of keeping it <Pop7) -- might even be feasible under Despotism, depending on what else shows up in the BFC.
    • In the meantime, Scout will go 3E (Turn1.5) then 3S (Turn3) then 6W (Turn6), then north, circling Washington (clockwise) to map the 1st-ring area, while also looking for the nearest coast and/or popping huts, and hopefully finding (B?)Grass south of Washington (I'm guessing that start's south of the Equator).
    • Worker 1NW to road+irrigate Cow1 (1+2+3T), then Cow2 (6T), then probably back E to road+mine the Sugar (1+2+4T) (=BGrass under Despot).
    • 1st research target: Alphabet to build Curraghs from the first Coastal town, and then aim for Republic at max. SCI% -- slingshot should be doable at Monarch.
    @Kuningas:
    You've given the most important map-stats, but what about the others (%water, climate, humidity, age)? Sure, we could get them from CivAssist once we've DL'd the save, but you might as well just post them here.

7. templar_x

in case there is a third plains cow, the start will easily allow a 4-turn-combo factory (warrior/Scout+settler every 4 turns). i could not fog-gaze anything, but i took that hint from the starting post plus the one that was edited at least twice. ;)
    t_x

8. Kuningas

Kuningas Deity

Non-standard. All of the map is handmade.

9. Lord AJ

Lord AJ The Quartermaster

When I posted that, there was no image and I thought Kuningas was asking for a suggestion for the start location.

10. Kuningas

Kuningas Deity

I edited first post. Because AlanH though it is more like a Pangaea. I have to agree with he. So don't build many those curraghs.

11. denyd

denyd Emperor

This one looks like fun. In general, I'll move my worker to the NW cow and settle in place. My scout will probably head either E-E or WW unless we are near the top of the map, then S-S. I agree with heading for the Republic Slingshot and hoping to be able to trade for most of the other AA techs using my Scout created contacts. Since there is no required victory, I'll probably go for either Historgraphic or Diplomatic depending on October's time availability.

I'd also like to thank all the people who make the Civ III GOTM/COTM's possible. I realize that our community is on a slow decline to extinction and hope it last longer than I do.:D

12. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

Well I've played to 1000 BC so far (and enjoying this map very much, Kuningas -- thanks for that!), so I'm not going to post any game-spoilers here (and I haven't quite reached the Medieval Age yet, so can't post in the First Spoiler thread), but I do have a theoretical question regarding the assertion above.

@templar_x
    If there were three Cows ;) it would certainly be easy to set up a simple 4T Settler-pump on this start under Despot, and I can also (I think) see how your hypothetical 4T-combo-factory could run under Monarchy/Republic, but I'm having difficulty figuring out if/how it would work 'easily' under Despotism, with the penalty taking a -1 bite out of all those lovely food+shields you could have got from three Cow-Plains (whether you irrigate or mine, they'll be penalised to either 3FPT/2SPT or 2FPT/3SPT).

For the combo-factory, you would presumably need a Gran, and your city+worked tiles giving you +5FPT, 10SPT -- e.g. Scout/Axe built immediately on Turn1, then 30s accumulated for the Settler on Turns2-4, with growth between Turns2 and 3? The 'simplest' way I could see of doing this would be to start it at Pop6 (with all the entailed Happiness-headaches) and work 3 Cow-Plains, 3 Plains, all irrigated -- but then building the Settler at Pop7 would drop the town back to Pop5, so how do you start the cycle again? So I'm obviously missing something. Could you tell me:
    • What tile-improvements would you need to make?
    • What Pop-level to start the pump at?
    • What tile assignments on each turn?
    • (In addition to the magic-IBT-shields-on-growth) are any other 'hidden' game-mechanics exploited here?

13. bbrady413

bbrady413 Chieftain

I'm going to try getting back into the GOTMs. I had a baby 3 months ago, so I've been too busy to even turn on my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. templar_x

it is really very simple. all you need would be: 3 irrigated plains cows (each 3fpt and 2spt) plus 1 irrigated plain plus 1 2fpt/2spt tile (like the plains sugar next to the starting location).
    you start at size 4,5 with a granary in the town, 0 shields in the box, with 8spt via the first 4 described tiles. you will finish a 10s-unit on IBT (warrior or scout). you then produce 10spt and can easily finish your settler in 3 turns @ size 6,5, setting you back to 4,5 and the start situation.

you can even improve a bit more on the efficiency, but practically this is it. other combo options exist, but they would be more complicated. an easy alternative of course would be a 2-turn warrior/scout-worker combo factory. if you need workers more than settlers.

t_x

15. tjs282

tjs282 Disillusionist

*Jaw: dropped* *Face: palmed*

Never occurred to me to start the pump halfway through the food-box fill.

I feel stupid now. Thanks very much. ;)

Spoiler :
    And here was me feeling very :smug: about setting up a zero-maintenance 4T-Settler-pump at Pop3-5, and putting up about a dozen towns before 1000 BC... :rolleyes:

16. templar_x

you are welcome. however, it would not be necessary here. it most often is. here it is not. you could also set it up at size 5-7, very regularly, with 10spt readily produced on size 5! only it was faster to set up the other way.

but what about starting at 4,6? :) if you want to read about a less obvious combo you will find one in my long-time triell story: http://www.civforum.de/showthread.p...en-Memento-und-Calis-als-quot-il-cattivo-quot
    none of this was invented by me however. so for sure there are several other sources around here or on civforum.
    t_x