1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

COTM119 Korea Regent - Pre-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

COTM119 Wang Kon of Korea - Regent

You ask how many friends I have? Water and stone, bamboo and pine
    The moon rising over the eastern hill is a joyful comrade
    Besides these five companions, what other pleasure should I ask?​

In the 119th Conquests Game of the Month you will rule as Wang Kon over the Koreans, who are commercial and scientific. You start the game with the knowledge of Bronze Working and Alphabet. Your unique unit is the Hwach'a, a special version of Cannon with the ability of deadly bombardment on land and sea. In this game, Korea can build its unique unit already with the knowledge of Gunpowder. It is not necessary to know Metallurgy.

For this Christmas game it may be of interest to know that South Korea is the East Asian country with the largest proportion of Christian inhabitants. Churches are decorated with neon crosses, and Christmas is popular also among non-Christians, who sometimes drop by in a church and take part in the celebrations.

The normal changes to the Conquests rules apply to this game: Iron locations are fixed, and Workers insted of Settlers can be popped from Goody Huts. In addition to this, the following changes have been made to terrain causing Disease in order to limit the impact of chance on the competition:
    • Flood Plains do not cause Disease
    • Jungles and Wetland have their Disease level lowered from 50% to 25%
    • Knowledge of Sanitation cancels Disease in Jungles and Wetlands

Starting Location

Scope of the Game

Column 1 Column 2
    Civilization Korea
    Difficulty Regent
    Map size Standard 100 X 100
    Map topology Continents
    Rivals Seven pre-selected
    Barbarians Restless
    Required victory condition None

Submissions are due by February 3rd, 2016.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Attached Files:

2. Kuningas

Kuningas Deity

Settle in place. Writing at max. Hope there is a second cattle for a settler factory. Propably go for space.

3. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

but if you settle in place, there could only be 2 plains tiles with cattle on it, right?
    t_x

4. Memento

Memento The World is mine

When it starts ? only when Alan is back ?

5. Più Freddo

No. The game starts today. Alan and I have prepared everything in advance. Enjoy and merry Christmas!

6. denyd

denyd Emperor

Pardon the weak memory for this old man, but does settling on the gold lose the commerce?

7. templar_x

no, only food is lost to foundation of a city.
    t_x

8. templar_x

guys, obviously we can pop settlers from huts in this game. recently we had this always changed so that only workers and towns could be popped. what shall we do now?
    t_x

9. Più Freddo

I'm sorry about this and have no explanation. I hope that the other COTM changes are in place. Let's just play the game. It's the same for all.

10. albatros13

albatros13 Chieftain

Did you pop a settler just (south)west of the start location? Because that's what happened to me. No reloads, i have taken everything as-is.

Oh and this is my first game here, btw.

11. serttech2003

serttech2003 Warlord

I have no idea what to do in this game. Conquest? Domination? Spaceship? Maybe I'll make a run at 20k one city culture.

Maybe I'll look up a Realms Beyond Epic and play with one of those rule sets. Maybe a 5CC spaceship run?

Any suggestions?

12. templar_x

no, not from that hut. but it would have been the most convenient one of course. ;)

good luck in your first XOTM game!

t_x

13. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    This one looks nice and relaxing. Think I'll have a go at it, as a break from my current (likely failed) struggle at DG. Settle on the Grass 1SW, irrigate the Cow and some Plains, mine the gold while churning out Settlers to settle initially along the river and coast(s), for the trades: Space (or UN) for preference.

14. lifetap

lifetap Chieftain

I did not know theres a game already, ill play this too! :D

15. templar_x

i accidentally stepped into the Final thread right before :blush: of course i left immediately again, when i saw where i was...
    t_x

16. lifetap

lifetap Chieftain

what do you mean when you say Emperor+ or Emperor++? Does this have a unique meaning here? or it only means Emperor but harder and nothing in specific?

17. templar_x

you sure you refer to anything in this thread? ;)

18. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    I missed the QSC deadline, and am not ready to post in the First spoiler thread yet (only on Turn 40-ish), but I do have a couple of things to say so far about this map/game:
    1. It took me about 35T to figure it out, but I do like what you (PF) did to our homeland -- very clever/funny! (Have you considered a career on Magrathea?) Now looking forward to finding out whether our neighbours' lands have been similarly terraformed...
    2. Just FTR, I have also popped a Settler from one of the Goody-Huts. Although this has been somewhat mitigated, so far, by popping mostly Barbs from the others :cry:
    On a related note, I have a question regarding GOTM rules.

After the first Hut-pop giving barbs (around Turn 15, IIRC), they all immediately fortified in place during the IBT, which alerted me to the possibility that I hadn't set the NoAIPatrol-flag properly in the conquests.ini on this installation. I immediately saved at the start of the next turn, exited the game, opened the .ini, and found that I'd typo'd the relevant line :blush: (I have Civ3 installed on 2 comps, but up until late last year, I usually played on the older WinXP-laptop installation; I only played 3 games so far on the new Win8.1 box, all on Tiny/Small maps, with Random/Raging barbs, so I didn't notice this problem until now).

So I edited+resaved the .ini file, then reloaded Conquests and continued from the save-point -- on subsequent turns, all barbs (including the ones I'd popped on the preceding turn) then behaved more as they should, wandering away from their spawn-points. I hope this is OK? (If not, I won't submit an entry for this GOTM).

19. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I think this is absolutely ok. In fact, setting NoAIPatrol=0 is not even required for submitting a GOTM/COTM, it's voluntary. So playing the first 40 turns or so without it, is no big deal.

20. lifetap

lifetap Chieftain

Its just a signature post of tjs282 that I saw here. haha! but what does it mean?