1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] COTM133 Carthage Emperor - Pre-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

COTM133 Hannibal of the Carthaginians

You will rule as Hannibal over Carthage, which is an Industrious and Seafaring ancient civilization. You start the game with the knowledge of Masonry and Alphabet. Your unique unit is the Numidian Mercenary, a stronger and more expensive replacement for the Spearman.

003_villa-dite-du-cheval_theredlist.jpg

The game plays on a Archipelago map with 30% land area. There are seven selected opponents. This is your starting location:

gotm133_start.jpg

The normal changes to the Conquests rules apply to this game: Iron locations are fixed, and Workers instead of Settlers can be popped from Goody Huts. In addition to this, the following changes have been made to terrain causing Disease in order to limit the impact of chance on the competition:

• Flood Plains do not cause Disease
    • Jungles and Wetland have their Disease level lowered from 50% to 25%
    • Knowledge of Sanitation cancels Disease in Jungles and Wetlands

Scope of the Game

Civilization: Carthage
    Difficulty: Emperor
    Map size: Normal
    Map topology: Archipelago
    Rivals: Seven
    Barbarians: Restless
    Required victory condition: None

Submissions are due by 13 September, 2017.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

After the game is released on 2 August, or later, the start file will be available here.

The GOTM series of friendly competitions is a community effort.
    Please feel free to volunteer to design a game!
    Send a PM to Più Freddo.

2. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

ok, so we are seafaring, but starting off the coast again. actually i prefer that to a seaside start more often than not. however, on archi, it often pays off to have that early ship out to find the others...
    the start land does not look exactly juicy. there seems to be another oasis in the fog. that is it, right? i feel very tempted to move towards the river that is visible in the east and promises more Food.

i *may* give this game a try, however, i am not likely to being able to finish it anyways in time... so maybe i should rather go for Piu's sig mission and lend you a hand for another competition game?

t_x

3. Più Freddo

There's plenty of time. Try the game out and let me know. We have a new GOTM in three weeks and the next COTM in six.

4. Ipslne

Ipslne Chieftain

I'm new to this competition and was about to join, though I noticed I have Conquests 1.22. After a bit of looking around, I can't seem to find a way to patch it to 1.23. Where would I be able to get my game up to date?

5. Più Freddo

6. tjs282

tjs282 Compressed Airhead

@Piú Freddo I'm not sure how useful that page you linked would actually be: first of all, those patches are only for the US-versions of Civ3 (which is fine for @lpsine, but not for non-Americans) -- and are likely still DRM'd using the secdrv.sys copy-protection (so may/will not work on any recent Windows-versions). Secondly, (according to the covering text) the PtW-patch on that specific page isn't even the latest version, it's only v.1.21 of the Civilization3X.exe, not v.1.27. Thirdly, when I clicked on the PTW-link to test it, the site asked me to enter my username and password -- say what?!? I'm sure as heck not going to enter my home computer username+password into someone else's website, but I don't know what they're after. So I clicked Cancel instead (I don't need to patch my PtW-install anyway).

@lpsine: The above notwithstanding, if you are already running v.1.22, there should be no need to patch: that is the most recent patch-version (of the conquests.exe) that Firaxis supplied, and is what you need to play this CotM.

Spoiler For GotMs, the situation is a little more complicated... :
    To play GotMs, rather than the conquests.exe in your ...\Civilization3\Conquests\ folder, you'll need to start up the executable for the first expansion, 'Play the World' instead: Civilization3X.exe, which you'll find in your ...Civilization3\civ3PTW\ folder. If you bought Civ3 Complete (on disk), you should already have the latest version of PtW (v.1.27) installed as well.

Conversely, if someone installed Conquests (31 civs total, plus various scenarios) as an expansion-pack to vanilla Civ3 (16 civs, no extras) -- as I did originally -- then (depending how old the disk is) that person may need to patch their civilization3X.exe to v.1.27 and patch their conquests.exe to v.1.22. Since you already have Conquests v.1.22, I think this won't apply in your case, but just in case, that patch (US-release only) is here: http://www.civilization3.com/support.cfm

And if someone has a download-version of Civ3InComplete (e.g. from Steam or GoG), they may not actually have got a Civilization3X.exe included in their installation at all, and will have to find one... somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  7. Ipslne

Ipslne Chieftain

Thank you for the replies!

My apologies, the versions I stated were off. I meant to say that I have v1.21, and need v1.22. There may be complications in that I am using a DRM-free version.

8. tjs282

Very curious where you got your copy of Conquests, in that case...? But just in case you missed it, the link under that Spoiler also leads to the v.1.22 Conquests patch. I would strongly recommend making a backup copy of your current conquests.exe before patching, though.

If the v.1.22 patch works on your system, you can then ditch the old 1.21 version. However, if you find that the patch is DRM'd, and won't work on your system, then you're probably best advised to simply (re)purchase CivIIIComplete as a download-version, which will get you to v.1.22, but with the disk-based copy-protection bypassed/removed. I know of 3 currently legitimate sources (though there may be more), but all of them sell it for about 5 LocalCurrencyUnits (or less if you get it on sale):
    • If you already sold your soul to Steam, then you might as well get it from there :vomit:
    • You can also (once again) buy it from GamersGate (https://www.gamersgate.com), but this still requires you to install the Steam-client to play :vomit:
    • But if your soul is still your own ;) then I would rather recommend GOG (https://www.gog.com), which lets you play without installing the Steam-client
      • Admittedly, GOG does also offer/provide the GOG-Galaxy client, but AFAIK -- and unlike Steam's -- it's not obligatory, you can still install GOG-purchases without it, and it doesn't try to phone home every time you boot up your comp...
      • Sale price currently available! (At time of posting, in Germany...)
    If (you know what you're doing and) you've already modded e.g. the graphics in your existing installation, it might even be possible to simply install the new conquests.exe from the C3Complete download, without replacing everything else.

9. Ipslne

Ipslne Chieftain

Yes, I think if I can get it from GOG it wont be hard to find the differences in files and make the appropriate changes. That's very clever, thank you for the idea :)

The copy was actually given to me by a friend (over?) 10 years ago -- burned on a CD and including cracked .exe's for Conquests and PTW.

10. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure about it, but I think that a C3C patch not only includes the .exe, but also some graphics files and stuff like that. So just replacing the conquests.exe with an up-to-date one will probably not upgrade an 1.21 installation to 1.22. (Perhaps it will even result in a corrupted installation, if other files are no longer in synch with the .exe...)

So I would definitely recommend buying a proper/legitimate distribution, making a fresh installation and then afterwards re-installing the graphic packs, mods etc. over the clean installation.

Oh and as a moderator I have to say:
    :nono:

11. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

This is really a very poor performance Firaxis is showing here... On their own homepage they don't even have the most recent patches... :shake:
    (Even poorer, if you consider that "most recent" means 2005 here...) The PtW patch on that homepage is 1.21 (while the "most recent" is 1.27), and for C3C they have no patch at all...

12. Più Freddo

OK, sorry then for posting fake news. I hadn't checked it.

13. tjs282

Doch doch ;) -- they just aren't on the page PF linked, they're here:

14. Più Freddo

OK, so how are things looking? The design for the next game is due this weekend:

GOTM161 Scandinavia Monarch 20k

templar_x, are you playing or designing?

And what about the next one in three weeks, any takers?

15. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

definitely not playing, I would try to design it, if I can send it to you to publish the game, please...
    nothing around XOTM works anymore without your support!
    t_x

16. Più Freddo

Please send the save to AlanH. I think you have his email address. Send me a note with the starting location. Then I can set up the pre-game discussion thread.

17. Più Freddo

Please download the GOTM.zip file from the Game Schedule thread as starting point! I've fixed it not to have Zululand preset. Change the game name under Scenario Properties to GOTM_0161. Same as always. Thanks!